• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Hi. Can anyone help me with this question (highlighted in the question below)? I think I've forgotten how to solve this and can't seem to find the method anywhere in my notebook. Please help? Thanks in advance.mat.JPG

Reaction score
Hi. Can anyone help me with this question (highlighted in the question below)? I think I've forgotten how to solve this and can't seem to find the method anywhere in my notebook. Please help? Thanks in advance.View attachment 23126
Okay so First you need to know what OB is it is 3p+3w okay!
Then you need to understand wht |p| and |w| means Well it basically is root of p2 and root of w square! The Root of p^2=5 and root of w^2=5
The root and square crosses out! so that means P=5 AND W=5
Now you write down ob in |ob| form so it is |OB|= Root of (3p)^2+(3w)^2
Now you have |OB|=Root of (3*5)^2+(3*5)^2
|OB|=Root of (15)^2+(15)^2
|OB|=Root of 450
I have got 21.2 as the answer! i hope it is right i tried my best and if you need help with anything else ask so :)

Reaction score
Okay so First you need to know what OB is it is 3p+3w okay!
Then you need to understand wht |p| and |w| means Well it basically is root of p2 and root of w square! The Root of p^2=5 and root of w^2=5
The root and square crosses out! so that means P=5 AND W=5
Now you write down ob in |ob| form so it is |OB|= Root of (3p)^2+(3w)^2
Now you have |OB|=Root of (3*5)^2+(3*5)^2
|OB|=Root of (15)^2+(15)^2
|OB|=Root of 450
I have got 21.2 as the answer! i hope it is right i tried my best and if you need help with anything else ask so :)

Wow. I don't think I've been taught this. Thank you so much! I understood what you've explained and yes, its correct (I checked the mark scheme) but I have a couple of questions.
  1. Does |x| or |y| always mean 'root of x square' or 'root of y square'?
  2. In the 4th step, can you explain why do we it as 'root of (3*5)^2 + (3*5)^2' and NOT as 'root of (3*5 + 3*5)^2' ? I'm sorry if my question is bothersome or anything but the thing with Math is if I don't understand the concept, I tend to forget. If you can't answer it, its fine as long as you tell me that is this the method I'l always use in such types of questions?
Thanks once again! :)

Reaction score
Wow. I don't think I've been taught this. Thank you so much! I understood what you've explained and yes, its correct (I checked the mark scheme) but I have a couple of questions.
  1. Does |x| or |y| always mean 'root of x square' or 'root of y square'?
  2. In the 4th step, can you explain why do we it as 'root of (3*5)^2 + (3*5)^2' and NOT as 'root of (3*5 + 3*5)^2' ? I'm sorry if my question is bothersome or anything but the thing with Math is if I don't understand the concept, I tend to forget. If you can't answer it, its fine as long as you tell me that is this the method I'l always use in such types of questions?
Thanks once again! :)

1. YES It is know as the modulus of a vector which represents the Length of magnitude the vector!
2. Well i am not sure about this one but As my text book which is "Mathematics for IGCSE Extended by David Rayner" says it is represented like root of x^2+y^2
because it uses the pythagoras Theorem! Which you may Know if not "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_theorem" Lets take an example a^2 =b^2+c^2
so this is a pythagoras! now we take the Square of "a" to other side so as you see it would be a=root of b^2+c^2 and not a=root of (b+c)^2 Now you would ask me why do we use the pythagoras theorem it isn't mentioned in my book and not needed to know for our syllabus! :D i hope this helped! :D And if you need any more help do ask me

Reaction score
1. YES It is know as the modulus of a vector which represents the Length of magnitude the vector!
2. Well i am not sure about this one but As my text book which is "Mathematics for IGCSE Extended by David Rayner" says it is represented like root of x^2+y^2
because it uses the pythagoras Theorem! Which you may Know if not "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_theorem" Lets take an example a^2 =b^2+c^2
so this is a pythagoras! now we take the Square of "a" to other side so as you see it would be a=root of b^2+c^2 and not a=root of (b+c)^2 Now you would ask me why do we use the pythagoras theorem it isn't mentioned in my book and not needed to know for our syllabus! :D i hope this helped! :D And if you need any more help do ask me
Thank you so very much! I understood the concept completely. And as to why we use the Pythagoras Theorem, I got that too. Basically, if we have column vector b = ( 2 3 ) [i 'm sorry I can't write it in a matrix form here] that would mean two units to the right of the x axis , and 3 units upwards of the y axis. That would create a triangle and the hypotenuse would represent the magnitude of b. And since we use the Pythagoras Theorem to find the length of the hypotenuse in a right angled triangle, we use the same method to find the magnitude of b here. Right?
Thank you so much once again!

Reaction score

Ok. So, the question says that it may rain ATLEAST on one of these two days. First thing you need to acknowledge here is that they want it to rain MINIMUM of one day. That means they're accepting the maximum (two days) also.
Next, this is what you need to.
First, take the probability that it will rain today and multiply it with the probabilty that it will rain tomorrow also. (That means rain both days)
Next, take the probability that it will rain today and multiply it with the probability that it will NOT rain tomorrow. (That means its rains one day)
Then, take the probabilty that it will NOT rain today and mulitply it with the probability that it WILL rain tomorrow. (Again, this means it will rain one day)

Now take all the three answers and add them up. You should get 4/9.
Hope I helped. :)

Reaction score
it tells u that "The formula for the total number of one centimetre lines needed to draw all of the first n
diagrams is an^3+bn^2+n" so for each diagram u will add to it the number of one centimeter lines of the previous diagram so for example in diagram 2 u will add ur total number of one centimeter lines to diagram 1 lines so it will be a(2)^3+b(2)^2+2=9+3...... Hope U understood it :)

Reaction score
it tells u that "The formula for the total number of one centimetre lines needed to draw all of the first n
diagrams is an^3+bn^2+n" so for each diagram u will add to it the number of one centimeter lines of the previous diagram so for example in diagram 2 u will add ur total number of one centimeter lines to diagram 1 lines so it will be a(2)^3+b(2)^2+2=9+3...... Hope U understood it :)
I don'tget the concept of adding 3+ for the diagram 2 why is that we have to add the previous diagrams liens?