• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Hi, This is the second time I post this because no one would care to answer me.
This is a question I spent 3 weeks trying to solve it. The wanted method by my teacher is cross multiplication. I tried it, along with almost all the other methods,
I just keep getting a wrong answer, I dont know whether the problem is with my understanding of the methods, or anything else
PLZ HELP!

Here is the Question:
Myimaths Q.png

Reaction score
Hi, This is the second time I post this because no one would care to answer me.
This is a question I spent 3 weeks trying to solve it. The wanted method by my teacher is cross multiplication. I tried it, along with almost all the other methods,
I just keep getting a wrong answer, I dont know whether the problem is with my understanding of the methods, or anything else
PLZ HELP!

Here is the Question:
View attachment 23279
I would have answered you as i was working on this question but i am not pretty sure about my answer,so you see i don't want to end up giving you wrong answers
Anyways i will show you what i did!
First i made the denominators equal!
1/7x will be multiplied with x and 3y
3/x will be multiplied with 7x and 3y
-1/3y will be multiplied with 7x and x
now you will have (3xy+63xy-7x^2)/21yx^2
now you simplify (66xy-7x^2)/21xy^2
i don't know how to simplify further and if this is the answer do let me and do correct me if i am wrong :)

Reaction score
I would have answered you as i was working on this question but i am not pretty sure about my answer,so you see i don't want to end up giving you wrong answers
Anyways i will show you what i did!
First i made the denominators equal!
1/7x will be multiplied with x and 3y
3/x will be multiplied with 7x and 3y
-1/3y will be multiplied with 7x and x
now you will have (3xy+63xy-7x^2)/21yx^2
now you simplify (66xy-7x^2)/21xy^2
i don't know how to simplify further and if this is the answer do let me and do correct me if i am wrong :)

I tried exactly your method and got exactly your answer. But :(
This question is from Myimaths.com. and it says that the answer is wrong.
It says that the correct answer is (66y-7x)/21xy
Close, but not close enough... Any other ideas?
Thanks for your attempt anyway

Reaction score
I tried exactly your method and got exactly your answer. But :(
This question is from Myimaths.com. and it says that the answer is wrong.
It says that the correct answer is (66y-7x)/21xy
Close, but not close enough... Any other ideas?
Thanks for your attempt anyway
ok so i was working on it well i got the right answer!
i am really not good at explaining but I will try my best!
Do you know about Prime factorization? http://www.purplemath.com/modules/factnumb.htm here have a look at it might help!
I hope it helps :) and yeah any other questions do ask me!

Attachments

• Capture.GIF
    Capture.GIF
    15.9 KB · Views: 6
Reaction score
ok so i was working on it well i got the right answer!
i am really not good at explaining but I will try my best!
Do you know about Prime factorization? http://www.purplemath.com/modules/factnumb.htm here have a look at it might help!
I hope it helps :) and yeah any other questions do ask me!

ok now this just stirred my head even further. I've done many questions but with only two fractions, I used the cross multiplication method and it easily worked; now three fractions require a different method... :confused:
Anyway, I think I'll use this method on triple fractions; after I get to understand it. I get the prime factorization to get the denominator. but I don't understand how you got the numerator o_O. so can you please explain that to me...
Thanks for the help in advance

Reaction score
ok now this just stirred my head even further. I've done many questions but with only two fractions, I used the cross multiplication method and it easily worked; now three fractions require a different method... :confused:
Anyway, I think I'll use this method on triple fractions; after I get to understand it. I get the prime factorization to get the denominator. but I don't understand how you got the numerator o_O. so can you please explain that to me...
Thanks for the help in advance
So now you know that you have to make the denominator equal for all!
when you are making the denominator to a different on you have to multiply it with a number and so you have to multiple the numerator with the same number too!
Lets take an example!
1x/2+1/3+1/4 <-------------here we need to make the denominator 12 i got it by prim factorization
to make the denominator 12 you need to multiply it with something!(what i mean by something is for the first fraction (1x/2) to make 2 we have multiply it with 6 :D get it ha??)
so when you multiply it with some thing you have multiply the numerator with the same thing Let get going with our question!
(1x/2)*6+(1/3)*4+(1/4)*3=(6x+4+3)/12 = 6x+7/12

Reaction score
can anyone help me in vector question?

A2 PURE MATHS 32/MJ/12 - Q10 VECTOR QUESTION

It's Q10 (III) , given plane m - x+2y-2z=1, plane n - 2x-2y+z=7 , line L - r = i+j-k + T(2i+j+2k)
question: a point P lying on L is such that its perpendicular distances from m and n are equal. find the position vector of the 2 possible positions for P and calculate the distance between them.
I'll be appreciate if anyone could help me !!

Reaction score
HELP NEEDED
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge IGCSE/Mathematics (0580)/0580_w05_qp_4.pdf
Q7- PART C...please make it clear how to actually get the answer
For 7ci, use the formula for the volume of a cylinder.

7cii : This is one of the hardest questions I've seen in IGCSE:

Your answer to 7aii is the number of m^3 of water in the pool. So the number of cm^3 in the pool is (7aii x 100^3)

It is emptied into cylinders with the amount of volume (cm^3) in the cylinders per second given in ci.

So the number of seconds taken to empty the pool is (7aii x 100^3)/ 7ci.

Then you need to change seconds into days by dividing by 60 then 60 then 24.

So the answer is [ (7aii x 100^3)/ 7ci ] / [60 x 60 x 24 ]

And you get 2 days and 13 hours.

If you're still stuck, please post all your working and tell me exactly which part you don't understand.

Reaction score
Q17:

a) This is a standard question : look in your textbook!

b) Substitute x=2 and y=6 into y=4x+cto find c.

c) Rearrange the two equations so that they are in the form: y=mx+c. Then compare the value of m (equal for parallel lines) in each equation.

Q19:

a) A matrix A has no inverse if det(A)=0. --> 1(2x-7) - 0 = 0 --> 2x-7=0. You can solve this to find x.

b) The identity matrix is (1, 0) on the top row and (0, 1) on the bottom row. So x^2 - 8 = 1. Solve this to find x.

c) I don't know which method you've been taught to find the transformation matrix. I would use the unit vector method which should be in your textbook.

If you still need help, post all your working/ideas. I'm not going to post full solutions.

Reaction score
Triangle AEC : You have AC (part a), <AEC (di) and you can find <ECA and <EAC using the fact that the triangle is isosceles.

You need to find one more length so use the sine rule.

Then you can use the area formula : A = 1/2 ab sin(C) to find the area.

Reaction score
For 7ci, use the formula for the volume of a cylinder.

7cii : This is one of the hardest questions I've seen in IGCSE:

Your answer to 7aii is the number of m^3 of water in the pool. So the number of cm^3 in the pool is (7aii x 100^3)

It is emptied into cylinders with the amount of volume (cm^3) in the cylinders per second given in ci.

So the number of seconds taken to empty the pool is (7aii x 100^3)/ 7ci.

Then you need to change seconds into days by dividing by 60 then 60 then 24.

So the answer is [ (7aii x 100^3)/ 7ci ] / [60 x 60 x 24 ]

And you get 2 days and 13 hours.

If you're still stuck, please post all your working and tell me exactly which part you don't understand.
thnx a looooot