• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Re: Maths made easy =) stuck sumwhere?Ask ur doubts here!!

cupcake76 said:
can someone please help me !! there are questions on past papers that say: find the next two prime numbers after 53 .. how do we work it out???

Prime numbers are those numbers which are divisible by themselves ONLY; and so 59 and 61! :)

Reaction score

IGCSE mathematics paper 2

november 2005 question 7 b

Reaction score

Please can you solve October/November 2008 paper 4 Q3 Q8 and Q10 ?
Oh and can you give me useful tips on Loci and how Cambridge usually gives questions on this topic ?
Your help will be highly appreciated ! :)

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score

ppl plz post the links with ur questions... :)

Reaction score

Pernee26 said:
Please can you solve October/November 2008 paper 4 Q3 Q8 and Q10 ?
Oh and can you give me useful tips on Loci and how Cambridge usually gives questions on this topic ?
Your help will be highly appreciated ! :)

Q 8

(a)
x= 78° Answer (alternate angles)

y=180°-36°=144°Answer (Here you have to use the property that sum of opposite sides of CYCLIC quadrilateral = 180°)

z= 180°-78°=102° Answer again same property as above...

(b) The some of x+y needs to be 180° if they are parallel but its not the case so they are not... Taking alternate angles again... But that is only possible if they are parallel...

(c) Angle subtended at center is always double of the angle at the circumference from the same CHORD... So for E0C draw line EC now apply the property...
E0C=144/2=72° Answer

(d) Two sides equal so two angles equal... Its a triangle you can see... So 180°-78°=102° As both the angles are same so divide 102° by 2 = 51° Answer....

Reaction score

Assalamu 'Alaik brother/sister Math_angel? I so loved this forum ! And I loved you too for the sake of Allah :)

There will be no more classes for 10th graders here and I'm keeping on getting new doubts... great. The link's given below:

http://www.xtremepapers.me/CIE/index.ph ... qp_2_2.pdf

Paper 22 of M/J 2008, Qns. 8, 16, and 17. I need some explanations on these. Will be waiting for your reply. May Allah bless you for all your help.

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score

Abid357 said:
Assalamu 'Alaik brother/sister Math_angel? I so loved this forum ! And I loved you too for the sake of Allah :)

There will be no more classes for 10th graders here and I'm keeping on getting new doubts... great. The link's given below:

http://www.xtremepapers.me/CIE/index.ph ... qp_2_2.pdf

Paper 22 of M/J 2008, Qns. 8, 16, and 17. I need some explanations on these. Will be waiting for your reply. May Allah bless you for all your help.

Waalaikumassalam :)

Q:8 well write 16 such that it's power is four so we can write 2^4
now...when u open the bracket 2^(4 * 3/4) x ^ (4*3/4) so u get 2^3 * x^3 = 8x^3

Q:16 remember whenever u have two points .....to find the intersecting points u have to solve the eqns simultaneously...i dont know if u know this or not...if u wud like to know y is this so...i wont hesitate to explain...let me know if u need to :)

Q:17 total no. of games he played = 500 + x

total no. of games he won = 370 + x

% of games he won = 75...that means 75% of total is what he won

write an eqn

75/100 * (500 + x) = (370 + x) [we already know the no. of games he won in terms of x....]

now solve the eqn. !!! :)

hope this helps :)

Reaction score

Alhamdulillah.. thank you so much. I have got 2 of them perfectly. And yes, I would love an explanation for that 2nd question plus the working in order to get the answer please :)

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score

do u know how to solve two equations simultaneously....i m sure u must be aware what simultaneous equations are!!

Reaction score

these are simulataneous equations
2x+5y=3
4x+4y=10

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score

salmanpakrocks said:
these are simulataneous equations
2x+5y=3
4x+4y=10
lol...i meant to say that whether he knows how to solve simultaneous eqns !! :)

Reaction score

Ohh ofcourse I know. There are methods like elimination method, substitution method, matrices, etc. And the funny thing is... I'm getting different answers for different methods :S

Reaction score

Abid357 said:
Ohh ofcourse I know. There are methods like elimination method, substitution method, matrices, etc. And the funny thing is... I'm getting different answers for different methods :S

Try finding the mistake yourself... It will give you the idea... Then you won't do that wrong again....

Reaction score

Dude I wouldn't have come here if I could...

Reaction score

The answer in the marking scheme is (1, 3). Everytime I solved, I got different answers. Pretty weird I'll say. Could anyone please show me how to solve it by the elimination and substitution methods?

Reaction score

Yeah... But its Maths... You need practice.... A slight mistake spoils the whole question.... Sure I will... WAIT... I noted the equation wrong SORRY... :D

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score

btw reason which i said in the previous post is....at the point of intersection ofcourse both lines have the same coordinates!! that means that the x and y values are same in both eqn of lines at intersection point...hence we can solve them simultaneously...similarly when we need to find he soln of two simultaneous eqns using a graph we take the coordinates of the intersecting points...this is just for ur info.....i know it makes no sense here but yet...this info might be useful :D

and if possible can u show ur method...it'd be better if u type in ur soln in MS Word and attach the document here....cuz here it looks a bit confusing :p

and captain dont take salman's eqn...m nt sure he just gave two eqns or took it from the question...do check back the question!! :)