• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

IGCSE Physics Paper 1 Variant 1

Reaction score
The answer for the boat and water wave is Diffraction and Larger gap
using a larger gap would cause a smaller side curve for the waves, using a smaller gap would cause full diffraction which leads to waves going everywhere.
so it's pretty simple that making the gap wider would result in waves travelling almost straight and will be less likely to hit boat
and for the potential voltmeter question
it's 12v to 0v which is "A"
since in potential dividers top is maximum and bottom is minimum
*My work here is done*

Reaction score
using a larger gap would cause a smaller side curve for the waves, using a smaller gap would cause full diffraction which leads to waves going everywhere.
so it's pretty simple that making the gap wider would result in waves travelling almost straight and will be less likely to hit boat
*My work here is done*
i hope ur right about the potential divider, i did the same thing

Reaction score
*My work here is done*
You did both of them wrong bro :)

Reaction score
which one??

-Liquid expanding
-Its 84 because pressure of gas =atmospheric pressure + difference in height
na ah!
me aint agreein with ya!
gas pressure was low
so it was 20-12=8
then 76-8=68
:)

Reaction score
Y
wasnt it make it smaller??
No making the gap smaller would cause the waves to diffract all around the sea so you're basically giving "more waves" to the boat and the question required a reduction in the number of waves reaching the boat

Reaction score
Y
No making the gap smaller would cause the waves to diffract all around the sea so you're basically giving "more waves" to the boat and the question required a reduction in the number of waves reaching the boat
diffgaps.gif

Reaction score
exactly
which means less waves will reach the boat which is on the side when gap get's larger
hence the answer is diffraction and larger

Reaction score
I chose "doesn't move" but the thing is that one was higher than the other thus greater moment, I didn't remember that during the exam :/
The 100N acting downwards from above is cancelled out by the pivot so it doesn't move.

Reaction score
But when 99% of people in my school choose one answer then it's either we're idiots or the answer is actually right. :)
Chill.. It's okay we do make mistakes, if you don't wanna get depressed then close this website and go study something cuz no matter what you'll find a different answer than yours and u'll get depressed.
I like getting depressed that's why i started this thread :)
No bro its either you guys are right or wrong, if being wrong is being an idiot for you then okay
Water_ripples_Diffraction.png

The 100N acting downwards from above is cancelled out by the pivot so it doesn't move.
The force towards the left is bigger than the above force or the one towards the right because it has a larger moment