• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

IGCSE Physics Paper 1 Variant 1

Reaction score
Aw, i just realised that examiners made 2 varients in this June 2012 session, none of the questions you guys are talking about came in my exam varient 2!
They used to make same questions but different order of questions!

Reaction score
YO!! WHAT IS THE ANSWER FOR THE PENDELUM!!!!! i chose gravitational energy but im not sure :(

Reaction score
Aw, i just realised that examiners made 2 varients in this June 2012 session, none of the questions you guys are talking about came in my exam varient 2!
They used to make same questions but different order of questions!
LOLOLOL your signature got me rolling on the floor laughing my butt off

Reaction score
it is strain energy not gravitational potential energy because gravitational potential energy cant be converted directly into gravitational potential energy it has to be converted into kinetic energy which was already mentioned in the question, and what causes the turning motion in the pendulum is the tension of the spring so there must be strain energy. ty :D

Reaction score
it is strain energy not gravitational potential energy because gravitational potential energy cant be converted directly into gravitational potential energy it has to be converted into kinetic energy which was already mentioned in the question, and what causes the turning motion in the pendulum is the tension of the spring so there must be strain energy. ty :D
The Question clearly said in the "bob", and said nothing about the string, and its a simple energy conservation concept, when an object is moving, potential energy is BEING converted in Kinetic Energy. And BTW, there is NO WAY it can be strain Energy, because strain energy occurs only when an elastic object is either compressed or stretched

Reaction score
The Question clearly said in the "bob", and said nothing about the string, and its a simple energy conservation concept, when an object is moving, potential energy is BEING converted in Kinetic Energy. And BTW, there is NO WAY it can be strain Energy, because strain energy occurs only when an elastic object is either compressed or stretched
http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/waves/u10l0c.cfm read that bro what causes the bob to turn is the tension of the spring which means strain energy.

Reaction score
dude u got the whole idea wrong. the string is not even elastic -__-

Reaction score
wht abt tht question..........gravitational energy = kinetic ebergy (at Y) + _________energy (at Y) + energy losses
the pendullum 1.......i wrote gravitational energy

Reaction score
The collision of the bullet with the pendulum is an example of an inelastic collision, in which momentum, but not kinetic energy, is conserved. (Some of the kinetic energy of the bullet goes into "forcing" its way into the pendulum, and ultimately ends up as heat energy or stored strain energy in the pendulum)
i copied that from a website and also check this one http://books.google.com.kw/books?id...=is there strain energy in a pendulum&f=false

Reaction score
whatever it was we can't change it now can we? guess we gotta wait til august and see the papers here in xtreme, but by then we would have secured our A* aint i right?

what did you get in your mock exams?