• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

IGCSE ENGLISH-MEGA THREAD¬¬¬TIPS FOR A*

Reaction score
Ok what grade will I get with this response:

Questions;
Paper=http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/...sh - First Language (0500)/0500_s12_qp_23.pdf
Marke scheme;http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/...sh - First Language (0500)/0500_s12_ms_23.pdf

For q2 this was my response

The writer creates an effect that the forest and bee hives are fantastical yet frightening. The first way the writer makes the forest seem frightening is by describing it as 'gnarled'. This word gnarled adds an image of fright because the word means something old and twisted. When the writer uses 'darkened discs' to describe a bee hive, he implies that they are unreal as a disc defies our presumption of a bee hive. The writer further emphasis the fantastical effect of the hives by describing it as shimmering and pulsating'. Pulsating indicates something that is expanding and contracting, once again creating an image of something frightening.

This is just part a but so far can i get an a

Reaction score
i have sime quetsions...........plz answer
somthings i need to confirm Mune is 0510
in comprehension we shud make our answers short and we can copy words from the passage.........??
in the second comprehension the last questuon shud be in full sentences....???
in note making do we hav to write in our own words........?? i make a mixture of both the passage and my words
for summary do ineed to have an intro....??

Reaction score
in letter they give us prompts and pic
we shud use prompyts but is it necessaryto use pics or not

Reaction score
Ok what grade will I get with this response:

Questions;
Paper=http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge IGCSE/English - First Language (0500)/0500_s12_qp_23.pdf
Marke scheme;http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge IGCSE/English - First Language (0500)/0500_s12_ms_23.pdf

For q2 this was my response

The writer creates an effect that the forest and bee hives are fantastical yet frightening. The first way the writer makes the forest seem frightening is by describing it as 'gnarled'. This word gnarled adds an image of fright because the word means something old and twisted. When the writer uses 'darkened discs' to describe a bee hive, he implies that they are unreal as a disc defies our presumption of a bee hive. The writer further emphasis the fantastical effect of the hives by describing it as shimmering and pulsating'. Pulsating indicates something that is expanding and contracting, once again creating an image of something frightening.

This is just part a but so far can i get an a

ANYONE? How much marks?

Reaction score
Does anybody have the formats for news report, report, interview, letter, dialogue, diary entry?

Lucky you, I did some research and here are some tips

Formal Letters

Practise writing formal letters; it is highly likely you will be asked to write a letter on. Letters to people in official positions and whom you don’t know typically adopt a formal style and polite tone, and they are structured in three paragraphs:

i)the topic of the letter/reason for writing it

ii)background information, arguments and factual details

iii)request or suggestions for future action

Reports

Practice turning passages into reports; they have a particular style, and structure which is different from any other kind of writing:

i)style - short paragraphs; short sentences; dramatic vocabulary; statistical information; stacking of adjectives and descriptive phrases before the noun (e.g. ‘The Japanese-owned lightweight racing yacht Sunshine II...’, ‘Divorced former model and mother of two, Susan Smith...’)

ii)The expression should be impersonal (do not use ‘I’ or ‘We’ and do not give any opinions).

iii)Use interview material and direct speech as well as reported speech.

iv)structure - contrary to normal chronological sequence, news reports begin with the very recent past (usually yesterday); go on to fill in past background prior to the event; return to the immediate present and how things are developing; then finally speculate about the future.

Interview

Practice writing interviews between two people. Interviews typically adopt an empathetic tone.

i)Style – question/answer format. If you must skip a line between questions and answers, or, use names in the margin like a play script to distinguish between the interviewer and interviewee.

ii)The interviewer should not speak that much allowing the interviewer to speak the most. It is through the interviewee that you will show your understanding of the text as they will most likely be someone mentioned in the passage.

iii)Write in first person perspective with personal language (do use ‘I’ and ‘we’ and do give opinions

Diary Entry

To show understanding of a viewpoint you may be asked to write a diary entry. Don’t worry , it’s easy.

i)Style – almost identical to an informal letter, but packed full of thoughts and opinions.

ii)The audience must be yourself, not the diary. Never treat a diary like a person!

iii)Always include some kind of hpe/plan/intention for the future.

Reaction score

Formal Letters

Practise writing formal letters; it is highly likely you will be asked to write a letter on. Letters to people in official positions and whom you don’t know typically adopt a formal style and polite tone, and they are structured in three paragraphs:

Reports

Practice turning passages into reports; they have a particular style, and structure which is different from any other kind of writing:

i)style - short paragraphs; short sentences; dramatic vocabulary; statistical information; stacking of adjectives and descriptive phrases before the noun (e.g. ‘The Japanese-owned lightweight racing yacht Sunshine II...’, ‘Divorced former model and mother of two, Susan Smith...’)

ii)The expression should be impersonal (do not use ‘I’ or ‘We’ and do not give any opinions).

iv)structure - contrary to normal chronological sequence, news reports begin with the very recent past (usually yesterday); go on to fill in past background prior to the event; return to the immediate present and how things are developing; then finally speculate about the future.

Interview

Practice writing interviews between two people. Interviews typically adopt an empathetic tone.

i)Style – question/answer format. If you must skip a line between questions and answers, or, use names in the margin like a play script to distinguish between the interviewer and interviewee.

ii)The interviewer should not speak that much allowing the interviewer to speak the most. It is through the interviewee that you will show your understanding of the text as they will most likely be someone mentioned in the passage.

iii)Write in first person perspective with personal language (do use ‘I’ and ‘we’ and do give opinions

Diary Entry

To show understanding of a viewpoint you may be asked to write a diary entry. Don’t worry , it’s easy.

i)Style – almost identical to an informal letter, but packed full of thoughts and opinions.

ii)The audience must be yourself, not the diary. Never treat a diary like a person!

Thank you so much! Btw how are formal reports different from news reports?

Reaction score
I think that formal reports are reports but not related to news maybe like about dangers of drinks. I think. happy to help and now if someone can answer my question ;)

Reaction score
Everyone I found a video that will make you boost your level 200%.

Here is the video for p2q1:
p2q2:
p2q3 ;

EDIT: If videos dont work go to David Bunker youtube channel

Reaction score

Formal Letters

Reports

Interview

Diary Entry

As this says, in a report we are not supposed to use personal pronouns such as I and we, then how should we answer this question?

You are the professor. Write a report for the marine society after your release from the
submarine.
Your report should explain:
• how you and your companions fell overboard and came to be on the submarine;
• how you feel about the discovery of the truth about the ‘monster’;
• your concerns about the captain and the existence of such a vessel.
Base your report on what you have read in Passage A. Address all three bullet points.
Be careful to use your own words.

(Oct/Nov 2013- paper 22)

In this question, it is very difficult to write a report without using I and We as we have to describe the events that took place. Moreover, how should we try to avoid it from becoming like a story describing the past events??

Please reply....exam tomorrow......

Reaction score
As this says, in a report we are not supposed to use personal pronouns such as I and we, then how should we answer this question?

You are the professor. Write a report for the marine society after your release from the
submarine.
Base your report on what you have read in Passage A. Address all three bullet points.

(Oct/Nov 2013- paper 22)

In this question, it is very difficult to write a report without using I and We as we have to describe the events that took place. Moreover, how should we try to avoid it from becoming like a story describing the past events??

Try reporting it like a news-reporter, in the third person.
I haven't read the Passage, but you can try to implement these points.
"The passengers of the vessel had fallen overboard, due to the calamatic/catastrophic weather conditions".
"The monster had no presence in any scientific records, and was described as an "amphibian" like beast by the passengers and their fellow crew mates ".
"A vessel such as this harboring a mentally unstable captain poses a grave threat to any travelers on the sea".

Reaction score

submarine.

(Oct/Nov 2013- paper 22)

Think like you are a newspaper reporter, they describe but they dont write in i and we.

Reaction score
Try reporting it like a news-reporter, in the third person.
I haven't read the Passage, but you can try to implement these points.
"The passengers of the vessel had fallen overboard, due to the calamatic/catastrophic weather conditions".
"The monster had no presence in any scientific records, and was described as an "amphibian" like beast by the passengers and their fellow crew mates ".
"A vessel such as this harboring a mentally unstable captain poses a grave threat to any travelers on the sea".
no u shldnt do dis as a news report...u'll be penalised for dt coz its a formal report n dis ppr was an exception...v gt dis 1 in our mocks n our teacher tld us dt in dis formal report u can make it a alittle personal coz its askin abt ur experience n ur d one writing d report so u need 2 add ur feelings...hope i helped :)

Reaction score
no u shldnt do dis as a news report...u'll be penalised for dt coz its a formal report n dis ppr was an exception...v gt dis 1 in our mocks n our teacher tld us dt in dis formal report u can make it a alittle personal coz its askin abt ur experience n ur d one writing d report so u need 2 add ur feelings...hope i helped :)
YES!!! ur ryt!!!!!

Reaction score
No headings, you WILL get penalized if you do. Just go straight to the point but maybe an introductory sentence will be sufficient.