• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

0500 English First Language Paper 2 Advice :)

Reaction score
--- Question 1

This question tests both reading and writing skills

Reading skills - You need to show that you:
> Understand both explicit and implicit meanings and attitudes in the passage
> Can select and evaluate information from the passage for a particular purpose.

Writing Skills - You will need to show your understanding of:
> Writing for different purposes and different styles. This is demonstrated primarily through your selection of writing conventions.
> Selecting the appropriate tone and register for the intended audience.

(You should check the marking criteria that is available in the marking schemes for the latest paper of 2010)

Questions to ask yourself before attempting to write Question One

> Who am I supposed to be?
You will be told this. Look carefully at the question. If it is a person within the text you will need to understand their personality, attitude and write from their point of view.

> What is my purpose for writing this text?
You will be told this. Look carefully at the question. Think about the writing triplicates when doing this (imagine/explore/ entertain, inform/explain/ describe, persuade, argue/ advise/ analyse/ review/ comment).

> What writing style should I be using?
You will be told this. Look carefully at the question. What are the conventions of this style? (E.G. writing a letter requires an address, salutations, a clear opening paragraph in which you state your intentions for writing)

> Who is the audience?
You will be told this. Look carefully at the question. This will affect the decisions you make about register, tone and choice of subject matter.

> What register should I use?
Consider the relationship you have with the audience. Also consider your purpose and the style in which you are writing. This will dictate how formal or informal you can be.

> What tone do I want to take?
What impression of your mood do you want to give the audience? Do you want them to know you are slightly annoyed or do you want them to know you are extremely angry? Do you want to adopt a conversational, friendly tone or do you want to show you are a serious academic?

> What information from the text will I use? (This is the most important thing to do because it is a significant part of the content marking criteria.)
You must get your points from the text. You can use phrases from the text but you must incorporate these into your own words. Don't invent information.

This is from a document, couldn't attach it, so I'm posting it :)
I'll post more in a while... :)

Nibz

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
And why weren't you able to attach it!
Just click on 'Post Reply' tab. In the bottom right corner, click on 'upload attachment' then choose file.. and finally 'add file'. Wait for the file to be uploaded (depends on the size of file that you're uploading and, of course, your internet speed). That is it.

Reaction score
Hey,

For a letter should you include the address?

And in a newspaper article do you basically just say what happened and hint at emotions?

Reaction score
--- Question 2

This question requires you to read a previously unseen piece of text and comment on how the writer uses language to communicate a message.

Its prime aim is to:
> test you ability to spot the use of language features.
> use accurate literary jargon when discussing language.
> show that you understand the reasons why the writer has chosen to use certain literary effects.

Step One - Look at what the question is asking

The question will always be asking you to comment on two things.
Here is an example of the type of question to expect:

Example one:
By referring closely to the language used by the writer, explain how she communicates

(a) the severity of the earthquake

(b) her sympathy and motivation for the victims.

Example two:
By referring closely to the language used by the writer, explain how she conveys:

(a) The attractions of the traditional eating establishments in Beirut.

(b) The experiences offered by the ‘new’ eating establishments.

Always deal with ‘a’ and then ‘b’.
Always balance the amount of comments you make about ‘a’ and ‘b’.
Try to discuss at least 3 to 4 uses of language for each part of the question.

Step Two- What you should discuss

You should be looking for the use of specific literary devices.

Here is a short list:

> Figurative Language: metaphors, similes, personification, allusions, pathetic fallacy,

> Sound Devices: onomatopoeia, alliteration, sibilance, repetition, rhythm, rhyme.

> Structural devices: monosyllabic sentences, enjambment, repetition, sentence length

> Persuasive devices: Rule of three, rhetorical questions, personal pronouns

> Vivid and/ or well-chosen vocabulary: adjectives, adverbs, nouns, verbs, pronouns

> Tone/ mood/ atmosphere.

Choose a variety of literary devices to discuss.
Don’t, for example, pick three similes or three pieces of repetition.
You should be aiming to demonstrate that you have a varied knowledge of how language works.

Step Three- How to write the answer

You only need a brief sentence of introduction where you will put the words from the question into you own words.

Use point- example- explanation structure for each of the points you discuss:

Liz Lochead has written the poem ‘Storyteller’ to emphasise the importance of story telling to human beings. She tries to show that stories are more than entertainment they are in fact essential to making life meaningful.

One way in which the poet emphasises stories importance is to contrast a world with and without stories. The writer lists adjectives to create a dismal impression of daytime, "thin grey washed over flat fields". The adjectives "thin", "grey" and ‘‘flat" all suggest that a dreary lack of substance belongs to the day, which is a contrast to the magic of the storyteller's night. Lochhead uses this contrast to emphasise just how important stories are as a means of bringing colour and sustenance into lives which would otherwise be bleak.

When discussing longer quotes from a text try to embed them into you own sentences:

Here is an extract of a student’s essay.
This is the beginning of a paragraph:

“To the dance floor and the girls drifting like flowers”. Here it has associations with nature, the poet is referring to the girls as flowers.

The student presents a relevant quotation and a relevant observation but expression is awkward and repetitive.

The order needs to change so that the quotation can be integrated into a sentence:

The poet refers to “the girls drifting like flowers”.

This is much more concise and the point is made more clearly. The student can now continue with a detailed exploration of ideas and analysis of the effects of language:

The poet refers to “the girls drifting like flowers”. The use of a simile, which compares the girls to natural and delicate flowers, shows the character’s way of seeing the world in relation to the beauty of nature. The fragility of the girls is emphasised and we can understand why he feels clumsy.

Reaction score
Nibz said:
And why weren't you able to attach it!
Just click on 'Post Reply' tab. In the bottom right corner, click on 'upload attachment' then choose file.. and finally 'add file'. Wait for the file to be uploaded (depends on the size of file that you're uploading and, of course, your internet speed). That is it.

Yeah, thanks, but it actually had something to do with the file... Issues sorted :)

Uploaded in a .zip format.

Reaction score
rocker941 said:
Hey,

For a letter should you include the address?

And in a newspaper article do you basically just say what happened and hint at emotions?

As far as I know, they haven't allocated marks for the address or anything. I've never done it. Just make sure you address all the points in the question. It should be well-structured, too, so as long as there are paragraphs and stuff, you should be fine :)

In an article.. Hmm, well, they'll give you points to discuss, which is what your article should be based on. Give facts, and yes, hint emotions. Articles show both sides of the story. As you know, there's a lot of exaggeration in articles, so try doing some of that, too, but don't overdo it to the extent that you're not relevant to the text.

Hope that helps :)

Reaction score
rocker941 said:
Thanks a lot. What did you get in your exam?

Lol, if you're asking me, I still have to take it tomorrow, I'm doing IGCSE :oops: :p :)
But my posts are through practice and experience :D
I've always had a thing for English, so I don't face too much difficulty :)
Inshallah, predicted and working towards a high grade :)

Good luck :)

Reaction score
concentrating in first language but im actually doing the second :D P

Reaction score
rocker941 said:
what eng lit? death of a salesmen,stories and songs of ourselves?

Death of a Salesman, Great Gatsby (it has a deep meaning, which is good, but half the time, I don't understand what he's trying to say, so it requires a lot of imagination and nonsense :p ;)) and Songs of Ourselves :)

haochen said:
concentrating in first language but im actually doing the second :D P

Last year, we started with second language, but our teachers wanted to give us a little push, and thought we should try first language. Then, they thought they would push us even further and give us Lit. as well -.- Well, they did push us, alright. Actually, just this year, we sort of found out the Lang. and Lit. are two different subjects, requiring diff. exams :pardon:

But, personally, I find First Lang. fairly easier, cuz you don't have the comprehension and defining words and stuff :)