• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

How was Mathematics Paper 72 (Statistics 2)?

Reaction score
Q3
E(X) was 150, Var (X) was 30,000 (I accidentally wrote the s.d. tho :( )
In the last q I'm afraid you had to divide P(X<4) by P(X>=1) :S
I got the same answer for Q3 but for the conditional probability i did what shrz09 said

Reaction score
What do you guys say the GT will be? I say It'll be lower this time..a 40.
My guess is 37, as it had 2 tricky qs and that is the gt papers with tricky qs get
Bear in mind this is xtremepapers so this will be a terrible sample to know the overall GT as obviously users on xtremepapers are more 'keen', if that makes sense.

Reaction score
I also got E(x) 150 and Var(x) 30000, as far as q5 is considered it was regarding confidence intervals,part 3 was (0.96)^4 as per binomial process.While as per my concepts the conditional probability was not p(x<4)/p(x is greater or equal to 1).Rather it was p(x=1,2,3)/p(x is greater or equal to 1) as zero is not an intersection between p(x is greater or equal to 1) and p(x<4)
yep, exactly what I did for both questions

Reaction score
So what do you guys think the OVERALL Grade Threshold will be this year for an A* in maths? Assuming you did P 12 and 62 last year, and 32 and 72 this year

Reaction score
How can you get 30,000 as variance? That makes the mean 150, and standard deviation 173.2 (if variance = 30,000). Do you really think the standard deviation can be greater than the mean? Think again. :)

Reaction score
How can you get 30,000 as variance? That makes the mean 150, and standard deviation 173.2 (if variance = 30,000). Do you really think the standard deviation can be greater than the mean? Think again. :)
Of course it can
Google it
Think again :)

Reaction score
I don't recall getting any standard deviation in S2 that was greater than the mean. But oh well, we'll have to wait till the marking scheme is out to decide that. :)

Reaction score
Yes it is possible, you can get a variance greater than mean, but you can't get a sd greater than the mean