• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

How was Biology Paper 42 MAY/JUNE 2017?

How tough was biology paper 42 may/june 2017?

• Total voters
Reaction score
I wrote for microarrays similar to you darks. I just used "complementary base pairs" alongside probes as far as I recall since they used the word "probes" in the question itsself so I thought it'd be better to elaborate on it. But yes I'm thinking 2 marks or 3 max, not more than that. For the rest yes it was the same first fill in the blank was the *blank* in the hypothalamus...? I think it was osmoreceptors? Now I forgot whether I wrote osmoreceptors or osmoregulators LOL the former is correct (the latter is related to fish from what I can tell), and I was going to write the full spelling for ADH but the exam pressure made me forget what it was so I wrote "ADH" instead, I hope they count it. Anyway, wrote similar to what you wrote for lactic acid plus I mentioned carbon dioxide. Labelling was spot on, same as you. I have physics p42 tomorrow and have only today to revise so won't exert myself to remember questions right now, unless y'all do the remembering. Will do so tomorrow though.

-Fill in the blanks were easy for me, Antidiuretic hormone (ADH), posterior pituitary gland, negative feedback are the 3 answers i remember right now :p remind me the rest if u remember.

-The labeling question the upper one was efferent. glomerulus, i labelled on of the capillaries in the network of capillaries. for podocytes i labelled the wall of bowman's capsule facing the glomerulus..

-For first 5 mark q. numbers in brackets is where i am giving myself marks... tell me if i am right.. i wrote lactic acid produced(1) during anaerobic respiration (2) the hydrogen ions from lactic acid are responsible for lowering the PH of blood (3) after exercise (running in this case) when blood oxygen levels start to come back to normal, the lactic acid is transported to the liver (4) where it is converted to glucose (5) or stored as glycogen (6)

Please if you remember more q's and answers, post them!

Reaction score
I wrote for microarrays similar to you darks. I just used "complementary base pairs" alongside probes as far as I recall since they used the word "probes" in the question itsself so I thought it'd be better to elaborate on it. But yes I'm thinking 2 marks or 3 max, not more than that. For the rest yes it was the same first fill in the blank was the *blank* in the hypothalamus...? I think it was osmoreceptors? Now I forgot whether I wrote osmoreceptors or osmoregulators LOL the former is correct (the latter is related to fish from what I can tell), and I was going to write the full spelling for ADH but the exam pressure made me forget what it was so I wrote "ADH" instead, I hope they count it. Anyway, wrote similar to what you wrote for lactic acid plus I mentioned carbon dioxide. Labelling was spot on, same as you. I have physics p42 tomorrow and have only today to revise so won't exert myself to remember questions right now, unless y'all do the remembering. Will do so tomorrow though.
Good luck for Physics!
Yes it was osmoreceptors.

Reaction score
More than 24 hrs are gone.
So simpsons index of diversity 0.622.
Microarry question (mark my answer. I wrote in like 10-20 seconds in a hurry at the end.)
Microarrays have probes for many known alleles on it. When the alleles that need to be identified added to the microarray, hybridisation occurs between the probes and alleles and color given. If any probe of allele to be identified, not on the microarray, no color is given. (Something like this i wrote) please mark me.. I think 2/4
You forgot to mention the addition of fluorescent tags

Reaction score
The only questions that went well we're respiration, action potential, Simpson index diversity, excretion and then the 9th one
Are these enough to pass the exam?

Reaction score
Yes.. I missed a few things... So i am considering only 2/4 for my answer.

will I get marks for writung about collection of mRNA and making cDNA for microarry..cuz the question asked for the possibility of the presesnce of allele A.
And if it is present then there must mRNAs for it right?

Reaction score
will I get marks for writung about collection of mRNA and making cDNA for microarry..cuz the question asked for the possibility of the presesnce of allele A.
And if it is present then there must mRNAs for it right?
you wrote about probes and hybridization etc too? if so then you have nothing to worry about!

Reaction score
you wrote about probes and hybridization etc too? if so then you have nothing to worry about!

i wrote about hybridization and use of laser scan but missed the probe part...i guess im getting 3/4 then or maybe less, Allah knows.
btw good luck for physics p4

Reaction score
Most of the students in my center found variant 41 to be difficult and lengthy so i think the boundary will be similar to v42 because v41 didn't have much repetition and had a lot of analysis and just general knowledge. And for people who did v41, what did you guys answer for why algae photosynthesizes faster in polyp than when its free?

I wrote because it gets more nutrients from the polyp and that when the polyp respires it gets co2 for photosynthesis. Idk if it's right tho. What did u write

Reaction score
anyone remembers the muscle question? one band got shorter and one stayed same right?

Reaction score
What was the number of base pairs? And for the 1st qs acetate was already combined with CoA = acetyl CoA they asked "P + Acetyl CoA" so obviously its pyruvate and not acetate as acetate is already combind with CoA

And what blood cell do we look at in a sample?

Reaction score
What was the number of base pairs? And for the 1st qs acetate was already combined with CoA = acetyl CoA they asked "P + Acetyl CoA" so obviously its pyruvate and not acetate as acetate is already combind with CoA

And what blood cell do we look at in a sample?
2004 base pairs.
I don't remember a blood cell question... can you give more detail...?