• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Help Needed regarding O Level's Sociology

Reaction score
Hi, could anybody help me regarding somethings related to sociology.I mean how to study it?I have created glossary of each chapter, which is mentioned in the syllabus of sociology.It is round about 90 pages.So is learning all the glossary enough or would I require notes too.I haven't done any past paper practice,so even if i haven't done,would learning the glossary or learning notes work out and i could give the paper easily? Secondly,could learning the glossary help me eliminate book reading of the book as i really don't have time for it because i have to appear in science subjects next session like physics,computer studies etc. So if notes are required!!,what should I do as I have no notes though I found 2 types of notes over here,one by tutor2u.net and one by 'Roots Helping Society" media fire and couldn't decide which is better to learn ,tutore2unet notes that are of 30 pages or notes by roots,Ebrahaim Bin Najam that are of 50 pages.So could anybody please answer my questions,I'm in dire need of help,anyways thanks for help. :)

Reaction score
Sociology is easy shit. But I would recommend you to use a proper book for it. Don't just rely on notes! Purchase that book by Ken Browne (4th Edition).
And you didn't have to waste your time making that glossary thingy cause it's given at the end of that Ken Browne book.

Please, don't skip past papers! They are very essential because questions get repeated very often. Moreover, if you don't know how to attempt the question then there's no use of having any knowledge because you can't apply it.
You still have got ample time. Make sure you solve past papers. Also read some of the examiner reports.

Hope this helped!

Reaction score
I have that book,though read it till families only last summer.After that I didn't touched the book as i wasn't going to give it in october november session.However,i decided to give it now.Also i have made the glossary from ken browne's book and for some terms used the internet.So will learning the notes and glossary and doing, ummm, lets say 3 to 4 years past papers,would it work?I really want to skip book reading,as its very time consuming task and i have very less time.What would you recommend if i could do 3 to 4 years past papers, is it possible that i could do sociology in upcomming session?I know that I can comprehend things according to the answer if i have learned them,just wanted to make sure that glossary and notes are the only ingredients that are required.

Reaction score
I have that book,though read it till families only last summer.After that I didn't touched the book as i wasn't going to give it in october november session.However,i decided to give it now.Also i have made the glossary from ken browne's book and for some terms used the internet.So will learning the notes and glossary and doing, ummm, lets say 3 to 4 years past papers,would it work?I really want to skip book reading,as its very time consuming task and i have very less time.What would you recommend if i could do 3 to 4 years past papers, is it possible that i could do sociology in upcomming session?I know that I can comprehend things according to the answer if i have learned them,just wanted to make sure that glossary and notes are the only ingredients that are required.
Listen dude, don't freak out. A shitload of study isn't required for sociology. But I would say that do give that book a reading, please! It won't take you more than a week or so. One thing more, don't skip any chapter! That 'social inequality' chapter is a bit lengthy but the questions which are asked from this chapter are fairly easy so stay in safe zone and make sure you go through every chapter.
I guess, 5 year past papers are quite enough. You should know what the examiner wants! Do read the marking schemes.
Do emphasize on theories like Weber theory, Marxist theory, functionalist theory and so on. If you quote theories in your answer then examiners do get a good impression of your sound understanding.
3-4 months are too much for a subject like sociology.

Just so you know, I just prepared sociology in one month and ended up with an A*. So you have THREE WHOLE months, don't panic.

Reaction score
Oh that's nice ,one month preparation and an A*. :) I am just freaked out as I am new to sociology and don't know much about it.Okay so reading the book,learning glossary and five years past papers,is it good to go for the paper? By the way how did you prepared?Could you tell me step by step how did you prepared?, like book reading,what things did you memorized etc?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Oh that's nice ,one month preparation and an A*. :) I am just freaked out as I am new to sociology and don't know much about it.Okay so reading the book,learning glossary and five years past papers,is it good to go for the paper? By the way how did you prepared?Could you tell me step by step how did you prepared?, like book reading,what things did you memorized etc?
Sure, son!

1) Read the Ken Browne book once.
2) Learn important definitions from glossary.
3) Solve 5 year past papers and wohoo! You are done. :p

Reaction score
No need for notes then?, just have to apply sociological terms that I have learned in glossary for answers, and only need to understand important theories if I have read the book?

Reaction score
No need for notes then?, just have to apply sociological terms that I have learned in glossary for answers, and only need to understand important theories if I have read the book?
Yeah, no need for notes.
Just read the book twice. That's what I did!

Reaction score
Hello, any one can provide me sociology notes. I am appearing for sociology in may 2015 and too much weak in to.Plz anyone that have sociology notes share it with me.

Thanls