• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Further Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Are We allowed to take Graphic Calculator in the Further Mathematics Examination?

Reaction score
Can some one please post a step by step solution of paper 12 oct/nov 2012

Reaction score
What, we are? :eek:
But that's close to cheating, no? I mean, you get the answer and those who are intelligent enough, can always construct some explanation.

yup it says on the instruction sheet of every paper "Results obtained solely from a graphic calculator, without supporting working or reasoning, will not receive credit." So they are allowed.....:p
You cant call it cheating since everybody's allowed to use it........And graphical calculators only come in handy when sketching graphs of polar functions and irrational functions and you need to show your working for your calculations for turning points etc for these graphs otherwise your expensive calculator goes to waste.....:p

Reaction score
Can someone post a copy of the CIE F. Maths data booklet? Or tell exactly what formulae are in it? I really don't want to remember things uselessly :)

Reaction score
yup it says on the instruction sheet of every paper "Results obtained solely from a graphic calculator, without supporting working or reasoning, will not receive credit." So they are allowed.....:p
You cant call it cheating since everybody's allowed to use it........And graphical calculators only come in handy when sketching graphs of polar functions and irrational functions and you need to show your working for your calculations for turning points etc for these graphs otherwise your expensive calculator goes to waste.....:p

But we can still go from answer to explanation. Ah, anyway. :p

Reaction score
XPF has Mathematics threads in almost every CIE section. This one was highly needed; the complicated nature of the subject makes any external help all the more welcome! So post all your Further Maths problems here from now on. :) Anyone who happens to (be awesome enough to :p ) have taken the subject, please let it be known and attempt a solution at the questions asked. It may not receive the same traffic an average Maths thread gets, all efforts are definitely 'thank-worthy'. :wink:
Any notes, whether scanned or in document form, would be very much appreciated. :Bravo:

Sir plz tell me the name of the best math book for A levels?

Reaction score
For Pure Maths-
1)Further Pure Mathematics- Gaulter and Gaulter
2)Further Pure Mathematics- Bostock and Chandler.
For Mechanics-
1)Further Mechanics- Jefferson and Beadsworth
2)Introducing Mechanics- Jefferson and Beadsworth
3)Mathematics-Mechanics and Probability- Bostock and Chandler
For Statistics-
1)Understanding Statistics- Upton and Cook

Oceanic, sry for the delay, I am having my AS examinations. It ends on the 12th. By 15th I shall b able 2 post the solutions InshaAllah. In the meantime if anyone is free how about helping him out?

Reaction score
Hi everyone....I am studying further maths on my own and as exams are approaching....pls help me with this question from past year paper....

This is a past year question from CIE further maths paper 2 , November 2002 Q10...Thxs very much....really appreciate it

An author sends his first manuscript to a large number of publishers C, D, E,...in turn only appproaching each one after the first, if the one before has refused it. There is a constant probability 1/4 that his manuscript will be accepted by each publisher approached. The random variable M is the number of publishers approached, up to and including the one who accepts the manuscript.

Write down the value of E(M) and Var (M)....I got this part...The answers are E(M) = 4 and Var (M) = 12...

This is the part I got stuck with.....

For his second manuscript the author decides to approach two other publishers A then B for each of whom probability o f acceptance is 1/2. before he approaches C, D , E, .....The probability of acceptance by each publisher remains 1/4. The random variable N is the number of A, B, C, D , E....approached up to and including the one who accepts his manuscript. Write down the first few terms of the series for E(M) and E(N). By comparing corresponding terms, after the second and using your value for E(M), show that E(N) = 5/2.

Use a similar method to show that E(N^2) = 27/2

Thxs very much