• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Further Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Solution for Nov 2003 Paper 2 Question 3 Circular motion.

Attachments

• NOV03P2Q3.zip
    7.1 MB · Views: 32
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, could you please help me with this question on Geometric Distribution?

This is a past year question from CIE further maths paper 2 , November 2002 Q10...Thxs very much....really appreciate it

An author sends his first manuscript to a large number of publishers C, D, E,...in turn only appproaching each one after the first, if the one before has refused it. There is a constant probability 1/4 that his manuscript will be accepted by each publisher approached. The random variable M is the number of publishers approached, up to and including the one who accepts the manuscript.

Write down the value of E(M) and Var (M)....I got this part...The answers are E(M) = 4 and Var (M) = 12...

This is the part I got stuck with.....

For his second manuscript the author decides to approach two other publishers A then B for each of whom probability o f acceptance is 1/2. before he approaches C, D , E, .....The probability of acceptance by each publisher remains 1/4. The random variable N is the number of A, B, C, D , E....approached up to and including the one who accepts his manuscript. Write down the first few terms of the series for E(M) and E(N). By comparing corresponding terms, after the second and using your value for E(M), show that E(N) = 5/2.

Use a similar method to show that E(N^2) = 27/2

Thxs very much

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I got stuck with this question from CIE further maths past year papers, november 2004 Q11 paper 2
Please help..I cannot draw the diagram here but I will type the Qs...

This is the link to the diagram from extreme papers

http://www.google.com.bn/url?sa=t&r...w4HgBA&usg=AFQjCNHS-H5M_GXizeXYhyFjyFN5FXEg9A

A ring Pof mass m kg is threaded on a smooth semicircle wire with centre C and radius a m, fixed in a horizontal plane. A light elastic string connects P to D, a fixed point on the axis of the semicircle through a small distance from its equilibrium position E and is released from rest at time t = 0. In the subsequent motion, angle PCD = theta and beta is the angle which PD makes with the tangent at P. Given that theta is small enough for theta square and higher powers to be neglected, show that

(i) PD = am
(ii) the tension TN in the string is constant
(iii) Beta = pie/2 - 2theta

I have solved the first 2 parts....The part (iii) and last 2 parts are the ones I got stuck with....

Write down an approximate equation of motion of P on the wire.

The period of the motion of P is approximately 2 s. Find the value of T in terms of m and a and find the solution of the approximate equation of motion for which theta > 0 when t = 0 and 0.5 s after release , d theta/ dt = -0.03 rad per second..

Thxs

Reaction score
Solution for November 2007 Paper 2 Question 4 Circular Motion.

Attachments

• NOV07P2Q4.7z
    5.3 MB · Views: 21
Reaction score
Hi Neebom, Thxs so much for your help...really really appreciate it.....I have two left questions left that I havent been able to solve..The ones I have posted on pg 24....Whenever u r free,could you please help me to have a look at it?? I am really sori to bother u ....thxs again
Solution for November 2007 Paper 2 Question 4 Circular Motion.[/quote

Reaction score
Hey!

Does anybody have good notes on Rational Functions and Exponentials and Logarithms? i need them for a test =[

Reaction score
Hiya...as I am studying on my own for further maths, I find the textbook on Further Pure Mathematics bu Brian Gaulter and MArk Gaulter very useful.....U can check it out...I think in the previous pages, one of our members did post it up some link
Hey!

Does anybody have good notes on Rational Functions and Exponentials and Logarithms? i need them for a test =[

Reaction score
Hi guys, can someone do this one please ' In a traingle OAB, O is the origin, A is the point (0,6), B is (6,0). Find the equation of the three medians of the triangle.'

Reaction score
I took it as well this session. P1 was very good. P22 had a tricky momentum question, but otherwise simple.

Reaction score
Hi Saad, U posted the solutions of SHM by Raja on pg 23..I can't seem to download it...Is it possible for you to upload the solution on november 2004 Q11, simple harmonic motion, paper 2? so sori to bother u...thxs so much
What were your 2 possible values of e in that tricky momentum question ?

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I know some of you have just finished ur paper 2 and may not want to try anymore Qs...But pls pls help help me with this question on Geometric Distribution when u r free...thxs thxs so much

This is a past year question from CIE further maths paper 2 , November 2002 Q10...Thxs very much....really appreciate it

An author sends his first manuscript to a large number of publishers C, D, E,...in turn only appproaching each one after the first, if the one before has refused it. There is a constant probability 1/4 that his manuscript will be accepted by each publisher approached. The random variable M is the number of publishers approached, up to and including the one who accepts the manuscript.

Write down the value of E(M) and Var (M)....I got this part...The answers are E(M) = 4 and Var (M) = 12...

This is the part I got stuck with.....

For his second manuscript the author decides to approach two other publishers A then B for each of whom probability o f acceptance is 1/2. before he approaches C, D , E, .....The probability of acceptance by each publisher remains 1/4. The random variable N is the number of A, B, C, D , E....approached up to and including the one who accepts his manuscript. Write down the first few terms of the series for E(M) and E(N). By comparing corresponding terms, after the second and using your value for E(M), show that E(N) = 5/2.

Use a similar method to show that E(N^2) = 27/2

Thxs very much​

Reaction score
search and like " FURTHER MATHS PRODIGIES" on facebook and go to "Files+Photos" which contains nearly all the solutions to past papers questions of Pure+Mechanics+Stats