• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Further Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Reaction score
can anyone explain me
may/june 2010 /paper13/q10iv
Sure; in (iv) you should know that the expression in part (iii) is zero (because you got -c-3 for (iii)).
Now, if the four numbers alpha, beta, gamma, delta are all real, then all those four square terms must be positive, which means the whole expression is also positive, unless they are all zero. If they are all zero, then alpha ^ 2 = 1 and same for the other three. But this is clearly false since their sum is -1/4 and their product is -2 (not possible using values +1,-1 in any combination).

Does it make sense?

Reaction score
Hello. Can anyone guide me on Question 11 Either part (ii) and (iii) June 06? I'm having difficulties to prove that it hits A. And to find speed before it reaches A, can we just use equation of linear motion?

Reaction score
Hello. Can anyone guide me on Question 11 Either part (ii) and (iii) June 06? I'm having difficulties to prove that it hits A. And to find speed before it reaches A, can we just use equation of linear motion?
For parts (ii) and (iii) you note that, because the string is slack, the particle is moving under gravity only. So you treat it as a projectile (parabolic motion) and use those equations. So no it's not linear motion (although, as you should know, for projectile motion, you can treat the vertical and the horizontal as two separate linear motions).

Reaction score
For parts (ii) and (iii) you note that, because the string is slack, the particle is moving under gravity only. So you treat it as a projectile (parabolic motion) and use those equations. So no it's not linear motion (although, as you should know, for projectile motion, you can treat the vertical and the horizontal as two separate linear motions).
I got it now. Thank you so much. It's really a big help.

Reaction score
Hello, can anyone post the solution to June 04 Q5 the second part please? I did my calculation, treated it as projectile, resolved the speed and all but couldn't get the answer (so close yet so far). Maybe I miscalculated somewhere. Just wanna check where exactly. Thank you. :)

Reaction score
Hello, can anyone post the solution to June 04 Q5 the second part please? I did my calculation, treated it as projectile, resolved the speed and all but couldn't get the answer (so close yet so far). Maybe I miscalculated somewhere. Just wanna check where exactly. Thank you. :)
Show your working, I'll happily correct it.