• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Further Math Students… In Here

Reaction score
MAVtKnmJ said:
According to statistics "Travel and Tourism, Sociology, Law, Islamic Studies, Geography etc" are the lowest A scoring subjects. The percentage of people gaining an A in these subjects is less than 14 altogether whereas people gaining an A in Further Maths alone have a percentage of 18.7!

send the the link of this info.... i wanna know hw i got A in Islamic studies bt a D in socio..?? :S

Reaction score
Did you give complete A Level in those subjects or AS?

I took those stats from Oct/Nov 2009 A Level file located here

http://www.cie.org.uk/qualifications/ac ... statistics

Don't want to be rude but I hate people who want to be spoon fed all the time.
There's a search button on almost all the websites and it doesn't take a genius to dig up the required information ;)

Reaction score
@mzzzz & MAVtKnmJ:
I’ve got an excellent teacher, so that shouldn’t be a problem. I don’t think Math can learnt merely from books anyway. :D

mzzzz said:
on the second thought, y dont u gv fmaths next year in june? :eek:
u will hv more time to practice
n it wont make ur life a hell :D
I wish I could...

anillatoo said:
Easiest A Level: Maths
Hardest A Level: Further Maths

Don't assume because U are good at maths, U can do FM, it is freaking hard!
That's what we were told when we first enter AS Math. An A* in IGCSE Math doesn't mean an easy A at A Level. Yet I agree with MAVtKnmJ, it's neither easy nor the hardest.

ahsanxr said:
I disagree about 3 months being enough. 3 months are enough if that is the only thing you're studying and even if it is, you'll have to put in a lot of effort (considering you don't have a stats background either). Theoretically it can be done in 3 months but a lot of superhuman effort will be needed. Otherwise I'd say that you will need at least 5-6 months, and even then you'll have to work hard. Further Math concepts take some time to sink in. Mastery of Mathematics 9709 also helps.
I asked my teacher and he said that was adequate if only I focus hard enough. It definitely is a demanding subject. After all, three months is all I have.

Thank you everyone. You've been very helpful! ;)
If anyone wants to suggest anything, go ahead...

Reaction score
o if u hv an excellent teacher fr fmaths
it wont pose any problems
give it ur best shot
best of luck

Reaction score
Alright, Mustafa good luck on your discovery of Further Math. It can be a huge burden or it can be your favorite subject. Since you only have a few months, I suggest that you immediately get to work :p

Reaction score
Further maths is very challenging ! (well, only if you love maths) . At first it was very tough, very unfamiliar, but after adaptation it is nice. Sometimes they expect "unexpected" from you, it is not like that though, you only have to find a way to see through tricks in it AND if you managed to do these questions, you will feel intense satisfaction. XD

Reaction score
Very Well suggested. I am on it.(after vacations, ofcourse)
Thanks Mate

Regards
FreeWays

Reaction score
The thing is that further maths is conceptual and equivalent to 2 a-level subjects, it is very exciting and fun, especially if u like maths as i do, it also covers the main areas of university freshman year mathematics for all engineering courses.

Reaction score
MAVtKnmJ wrote:
According to statistics "Travel and Tourism, Sociology, Law, Islamic Studies, Geography etc" are the lowest A scoring subjects. The percentage of people gaining an A in these subjects is less than 14 altogether whereas people gaining an A in Further Maths alone have a percentage of 18.7!

dude SERIOUSLY, are you out of your freakking mind?
Anyone with an IQ of even 110 should be able to spot that there are VERY FEW people taking further maths, compared to the other subjects you have mentioned, and most already have a very concrete background in mathematics.

To exemplify how difficult further maths actually is, it is enough to say that people who have gotten A in Maths have gotten C in FMaths and who have gotten B in Maths have gotten D/E/U in Further Maths. There are numerous cases of this happening. I simply do not want to reveal names..

@mzzzz
Yeah, you won't have any problems if you get spoon fed on how to solve each and every problem..
being a machine that takes up stuff won't help as much in personal growth now, would it?

In my opinion, Further Maths should be taken independently.. it is a GREAT opportunity to stretch one's mind to the limits.
And yes, you can get an A by studying less than 2 months (assuming you have completed all the prerequisites).

It's really fun when that single question blows your mind off and you go wtf, only to discover a beautiful symmetry hidden in the question... lol

Reaction score
MAVtKnmJ said:
Did you give complete A Level in those subjects or AS?

Don't want to be rude but I hate people who want to be spoon fed all the time.
There's a search button on almost all the websites and it doesn't take a genius to dig up the required information ;)

sorry for such a late reply....didnt read thread afterwards.... :(
emm, i gave complete A Level for Urdu, History and Sociology, and AS for GP and Islamic Studies..
for that search thing....lol..i noe....but i would had taken tym searching an ol..u noe.. :p

Reaction score
meifp1 said:
dude SERIOUSLY, are you out of your freakking mind?
Anyone with an IQ of even 110 should be able to spot that there are VERY FEW people taking further maths, compared to the other subjects you have mentioned, and most already have a very concrete background in mathematics.

You should read the whole thread, especially my posts, especially the one in which I have linked to the "Proof" of my findings.
Don't come in here and start talking trash by calling others names and implying others have a low IQ, because ultimately no one cares what you have to say ... One Post Newb!

Reaction score
I've printed the 2011 syllabus and skimmed through it. It's mesmerizing to see that differentiation and integration are one section and not split up. I'm even more amazed to see that there is no section on trigonometry :!: The mechanics topics seem very interesting. Statistics? I still don't have a clue. I'm shocked to see that each paper is THREE hours!! I wonder how you guys looked like when you came out of the examination room :p.

I can see that it's gruelling (very challenging), yet enjoyable for those who like Math and find it interesting. InshaAllah I hope to complete it within 2-3 months. FreeWays, good luck with Further Math too. You've all been very helpful and informative.

Reaction score
damnnnnn further maths to deepist pit of hell.... :mad:

couldnt even complete a single question of P2.... :mad:

Reaction score
Mustafa said:
I've printed the 2011 syllabus and skimmed through it. It's mesmerizing to see that differentiation and integration are one section and not split up. I'm even more amazed to see that there is no section on trigonometry :!: The mechanics topics seem very interesting. Statistics? I still don't have a clue. I'm shocked to see that each paper is THREE hours!! I wonder how you guys looked like when you came out of the examination room :p.

I can see that it's gruelling (very challenging), yet enjoyable for those who like Math and find it interesting. InshaAllah I hope to complete it within 2-3 months. FreeWays, good luck with Further Math too. You've all been very helpful and informative.

hahahahahaaha hahahahaahahaha
thats the same thing i used to say before i started it....dude....theres just one section of differenciation n integration and no trig, coz they come in almost every question... :p
mechanix is kinda easy if u're rill good at math's mechnix n physics.. :)
and 3 hrz is just ok!! more tym doesnt help u in getting correct answers.. :| but u get a hell tired.. :(
its interesting but only wen, wen u give it a good tym....3 months will be enuff, if u dont do any other single thing during dat tym... :)

Reaction score
@ well wisher....... im frm lahore.... gave the paper...........

@mista lova.......... lol...paper was quite tough ........ but i think i did better than p1 today

Reaction score
i had just covered half of the sylabus of P1 till exam and all of P2....
but my P1 was hell better than P2...lol..strange.. :S