• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Extra subjects

Reaction score
Can anyone kindly advice whether it would be beneficial for me if I give Human And Social Biology (5096) in May/June 2014 session. Also, can you name some good books for this subject.
Moreover, if I am to give Combined Science (5129), so can I give it in the same session along with Biology, Chemistry, Physics?

Reaction score
Can anyone kindly advice whether it would be beneficial for me if I give Human And Social Biology (5096) in May/June 2014 session. Also, can you name some good books for this subject.
Moreover, if I am to give Combined Science (5129), so can I give it in the same session along with Biology, Chemistry, Physics?
Extra subjects don't really matters if u are studying in Pakistan.If you want to apply for international universities extra subjects may be little help but just a little.
Do confirm that Human And Social Biology is being offered in 2014 as future syllabus of the subject is not available as yet on the official CIE site.

Reaction score
Extra subjects don't really matters if u are studying in Pakistan.If you want to apply for international universities extra subjects may be little help but just a little.
Do confirm that Human And Social Biology is being offered in 2014 as future syllabus of the subject is not available as yet on the official CIE site.
Appreciate your help :). To be honest, I was never inclined either, towards giving any other subject besides the compulsory. However, there has been a change of trend in which more and more people are going for extra subjects and securing good grades. Plus, I also plan to keep international universities in my scope.
I do not believe CIE would scrap of Human and Social Biology and hopefully future syllabus for this subject would be uploaded soon.
Anyways, those who have appeared for Human And Social Biology Paper in the past, can you please provide some reference to good books and advices on the subject matter.

Reaction score
Appreciate your help :). To be honest, I was never inclined either, towards giving any other subject besides the compulsory. However, there has been a change of trend in which more and more people are going for extra subjects and securing good grades. Plus, I also plan to keep international universities in my scope.
I do not believe CIE would scrap of Human and Social Biology and hopefully future syllabus for this subject would be uploaded soon.
Anyways, those who have appeared for Human And Social Biology Paper in the past, can you please provide some reference to good books and advices on the subject matter.

The only book i know is ''Introduction to Human and Social Biology'' by DG Mkean.
It has a lot of unnecessary details.
Most of the syllabus is similar to the original Biology for O-Level.
So i'm just going to complete that first and then the additional topics of Human and Social Biology.

Reaction score
If u want to give extra subjects go for subjects which will at least benefit u in the future but then keep in mind u have to work more harder but in no case u should neglect your 8 core subjects.Plan for the uni u want to go from now.Think about which major u want to go for and keep a option of 4-5 universities which should include both local and international uni so if u fail in your plan somewhere u have more option.
Every uni has its own requirements so fulfill them till before admission in your A level.
So planing is very important and u should have backups.So plan well and stay with it and starting early is good and staying focused is the key to success as O and A level are made to allow u to get admission in undergraduate program

Reaction score
If u want to give extra subjects go for subjects which will at least benefit u in the future but then keep in mind u have to work more harder but in no case u should neglect your 8 core subjects.Plan for the uni u want to go from now.Think about which major u want to go for and keep a option of 4-5 universities which should include both local and international uni so if u fail in your plan somewhere u have more option.
Every uni has its own requirements so fulfill them till before admission in your A level.
So planing is very important and u should have backups.So plan well and stay with it and starting early is good and staying focused is the key to success as O and A level are made to allow u to get admission in undergraduate program

We have to start planning from now? :O
I have been delaying it. I don't even know which University i want to do too.
What subjects are Beneficial? As you said we should go for subjects that benefit us.

Reaction score
Could someone please tell me if Business Studies O'Levels can be done in two weeks by learning from the Purple Karen Borrington book? Please help asap. :) And if anyone has given Travel and Tourism then please tell if it can be done in a week and if it is easy? Thankyou.

Reaction score
Could someone please tell me if Business Studies O'Levels can be done in two weeks by learning from the Purple Karen Borrington book? Please help asap. :) And if anyone has given Travel and Tourism then please tell if it can be done in a week and if it is easy? Thankyou.

My cousin did Business in a week and a half (plus one week for rigorous papers). So yes, I'd say one can do it, but you'd ahve to work real hard!

Reaction score
My cousin did Business in a week and a half (plus one week for rigorous papers). So yes, I'd say one can do it, but you'd ahve to work real hard!
Well tht was a quick reply...Thank you very much! :D
And what grades did she get?

Reaction score
Wrong.

Been there, done that. Took a lot of effort, I had to shell out a shitload of time each day, but did it at the end. Depends on ones aptitude for Math too.

Lot of effort? I loved the subject. :D
Relative velocity was a pain in the behind though.

Reaction score
In Pakistan, nope.
But I see no point why the one with 15As will stay in Pk.

To what extent are extra subjects useful, either in Pakistan or abroad?
Considering the value, scholarships, time taken, effect on other subjects.
Are they really worth it?

Reaction score

Depends on the person and his/her dedication. Simple as that.
Some people can manage 28 whereas some can hardly manage 9.
They are very useful but if it is at the expense of an A in Maths or Chemistry then I'd say that it is not worth it.
Conclusively, 1-3 extra subjects for an average student are more than enough, and these should also be something of interest and something useful, not just 'easy' subjects. But, I repeat, if they are at the expense of your main subjects then don't ever take them.

Reaction score
Depends on the person and his/her dedication. Simple as that.
Some people can manage 28 whereas some can hardly manage 9.
They are very useful but if it is at the expense of an A in Maths or Chemistry then I'd say that it is not worth it.
Conclusively, 1-3 extra subjects for an average student are more than enough, and these should also be something of interest and something useful, not just 'easy' subjects. But, I repeat, if they are at the expense of your main subjects then don't ever take them.

What if they are not at the expense of the main subjects and i choose to not take them?
Should i change my perspective and study extra subjects, even though i don't want to do EXTRA work?
Or should i further master the main subjects to perfection?
I mean, why do people even take extra subjects?
I have seen people get 19 A's. Does that have a VERY BIG impact on our university application, or something?

Reaction score
What if they are not at the expense of the main subjects and i choose to not take them?
Should i change my perspective and study extra subjects, even though i don't want to do EXTRA work?
I have seen people get 19 A's. Does that have a VERY BIG impact on our university application, or something?

Nobody knows that. If you don't want to take them, don't. Don't just take them because others do.
Look, as I said it's about dedication. If you don't want to put in the 'EXTRA' effort then don't because obviously, you're not dedicated enough.
That is a good idea. A distinction is gold, at least in my opinion.
To enhance their knowledge base and CV.
Not a very big impact but people with extra subjects are 'favoured' in special cases. But of course, all that is after you get good A'level grades/F.Sc marks; clear the admission test, put in a good impression and have other things in your CV as well (taking extra subjects doesn't mean you can avoid extra curriculars).

Reaction score

Plain and simple, diversity!

I took a handful of subjects, and even though it affected Biology (although an irrelevant subject for me), the merits outdo the B in Biology.
Exposure to this many subjects not only brings you to a higher level of intellect amongst your immediate peer group, it also teaches you time management, new things and leaves a great impression (the ability of taking & being exposed to a variety of subject categories (Pure sciences, social sciences, humanities etc) whilst drastically improving your knowledge base, much like the resident insane said,+ general knowledge.

Subjects for the aforementioned benefits shouldn't be Urdu B (if you've taken Urdu A), Islamic Religion and Culture (if you've taken Islamiyat), Combined Sciences/ Grouped Sciences (in total, 4 subjects; all three, chem+bio, chem+phys, bio+phys) (if you've taken the 3 pure sciences which are credited over the 4).

Say you're an Engr student. You have Physics Chem Add Math and/or Computer. Adding subjects like Environmental Management, Sociology, Economics etc would be a good things in the eyes of most US uni's, although, in Pakistan, they couldn't care less.

Reaction score

19 As in 5 attempts is no big deal.
19As in 2 attempts is.

What people don't get is that the number of As isn't what matters. Well, it does, but not alone. What matters is that how many of them came grouped. Giving 3 exams per session and giving them in 6 sessions is no big deal. Most US Uni's want to see no more than 2 sessions. The less, the better.

I'll suggest taking a subject or two. DOn't take a tough one. Take something easy. Commerce, or Sociology, or EM perhaps, or two or all of these. You won't have to 'work your ass off' but you would have to shell out some, however little, amount of time for them. It's worth it, though, in my opinion. The diversity it adds, the alternate routes it brings to your thinking spectrum, the maturity it adds to your daily chats, I am a firm believer they make an impact have first hand experience, seeing people around me.

Do not, at all, though, take things like Urdu B. Useless. Inside AND outside Pakistan.

Reaction score
Also, don't forget that the O Level results take up only about 15-20% of your entire application. SAT Reasoning, College Essay, Teacher Recommendations, Internships + Community/Social Work, Sports, National Achievements etc all form up your application. Merely getting 30As doesn't guarantee an admission to Harvard/Yale.

Reaction score
Nobody knows that. If you don't want to take them, don't. Don't just take them because others do.
Look, as I said it's about dedication. If you don't want to put in the 'EXTRA' effort then don't because obviously, you're not dedicated enough.
That is a good idea. A distinction is gold, at least in my opinion.
To enhance their knowledge base and CV.
Not a very big impact but people with extra subjects are 'favoured' in special cases. But of course, all that is after you get good A'level grades/F.Sc marks; clear the admission test, put in a good impression and have other things in your CV as well (taking extra subjects doesn't mean you can avoid extra curriculars).

Actually, A Level grades are pretty much useless for the US unis. For the Pakistani uni's, I have yet to see a student being favored for extra subs, that too at O Levels.