• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

extra subjects

Reaction score
I want to know what is the benefit of taking extra subjects? and is there any benefit in taking them at all? I want to take extra subjects and i am now in O 3. is it too late? many people say that there is no benefit of taking extra subjects but others say that there is a lot of advantage of taking extra subject i when you apply to universities n stuff. is it really true????
:?
and if on decides to opt for extra subjects, how many and which ones should one opt for? i have heard that certain subjects have no credit/ weightage...like combined sciences and commerce... while business studies has half credit..is it true? what is this credit thing??/ and how do i find out if i want to know about the credit given to certain subjects? bcuz I will decide my extra sujects accordingly. some others say tht credit depends on your subject gruop like if u r taking business group, and u take commerce as ur extra subject, u wont b given any credit fo it but if u r taking sciences, thren u will b given credit for commerce..??? i am totlly cofused abt this :S :S !!! :?:

is it like the more number of As, the better chance of getting universty scholarships and all?

also, why r certain subjects like environmental management so popular among studnts as extra subjects? if u do know the credit thing/ system, then please tell me about the cedit given to the following subjects. as my frend who is taking pure science group at school planz to op for all of them in november:
History ( world affairs 1917-1991)
Geography( i mean world geography)
Economics
Business studies
Islamic religion and culture
Statistics
Environmental managemnet
Sociology

??
please PLEASE reply asap! Thanks

Reaction score
Hajra said:
I want to know what is the benefit of taking extra subjects? and is there any benefit in taking them at all? I want to take extra subjects and i am now in O 3. is it too late? many people say that there is no benefit of taking extra subjects but others say that there is a lot of advantage of taking extra subject i when you apply to universities n stuff. is it really true????
:?
and if on decides to opt for extra subjects, how many and which ones should one opt for? i have heard that certain subjects have no credit/ weightage...like combined sciences and commerce... while business studies has half credit..is it true? what is this credit thing??/ and how do i find out if i want to know about the credit given to certain subjects? bcuz I will decide my extra sujects accordingly. some others say tht credit depends on your subject gruop like if u r taking business group, and u take commerce as ur extra subject, u wont b given any credit fo it but if u r taking sciences, thren u will b given credit for commerce..??? i am totlly cofused abt this :S :S !!! :?:

is it like the more number of As, the better chance of getting universty scholarships and all?

also, why r certain subjects like environmental management so popular among studnts as extra subjects? if u do know the credit thing/ system, then please tell me about the cedit given to the following subjects. as my frend who is taking pure science group at school planz to op for all of them in november:
History ( world affairs 1917-1991)
Geography( i mean world geography)
Economics
Business studies
Islamic religion and culture
Statistics
Environmental managemnet
Sociology

??
please PLEASE reply asap! Thanks

I would talk about my case now
i have 13 subjects and have already given Islamiyat and Pakstudies last year in June 09 Session and in November Session 09 i gave Commerce, Stats and Sociology. Believe me, it was so hectic that i used to cry especially i didnt even take tuitions for them. i had to manage school, social life, extra curricular activities (Very Important) and these extra subjects as well. Thank God, i managed to get 2 A* and A in those three and this year i gave Commerce Group (Accounts, B.s, Eco) and Addmath English Math Urdu and Extra Subject Environmental Management.
First of all, i dont know which region you belong to but if u have given Islamiyat already then there is no need to give Islamic Religion. Stats has near to zero credits but is a good A and helps to polish certain math skills (probability and stats). Socio has good credits (not sure how many) but is lengthy and is good for those who have excellent writing skills. E.M is very detailed and long but it depends if you like the subject though i regret taking it. History has LOADS of credit. i mean its highly valued subject. if you are interested in it then go for it. Geography has equal credits to history and commerce is only good for those who have studied B.S and Accounts (seriously).
If you have upto 10 subjects, then dont take more. concentrate on them and try bringing A * in them only
and universities just dont want a geek student ( I mean very high grades and all ) they want an overall student with excellent extra curricular (not just participation instead they want them to get 1st or 2nd or 3rd at regional or national or international level) , having a good talent which makes them stand apart, together with ur college essay. Download the Common University Application and you will get an idea. They want their " exceptional, scholarship type " students going for internships and voluntary services and all.
I guess its only better if you just take one or two extra
BUT
if you have stamina, patience, willpower and NEVER SAY DIE attitude then give it a TRY ;)
goodluck!

Reaction score
Agreed with remz ..
but Sociology isn't difficult and nearly takes four months to complete ..
even business studies would be easier and suitable ..

another reason for taking extra subjects is somewhat like..
some students take science subjects in O Levels and then in A Levels they go for accounts, economics and business..
So, just to get a know how about these subjects, they take them as extra subjects in O Levels ..

Reaction score
The very first benefit of extra subjects is that they entail inside you a time management skill. Which is an all important skill as you move on to future in A level. Secondly, most of the students who are applying to prestigious institutes do give extra subjects, its not about how many A's you have but the way you have them. Like try to give more in one go rather than in different sessions. Thirdly, if you belong to the science group and subject will be given weight which does not belong to your group. Fourthly, as far as selection is concerned then the very important rule here is that don't just do things for the sake of doing them. Like doing so many extra-curriculars just for the sake of writing them in your application won't help you. But 'one' thing done for the sake of the society that helped people around you can be a difference maker !

So, in brief these extra's which when you start to learn how to do them won't just make you independent, quick but will also widen your horizon of the way you think. The analytical base is expanded, you get grip over so many aspects of life and you learn how to set aims and achieve them. Thats it.

Reaction score
Keep subs like sociology, EM, world history and ICT. they dont belong to either business or sciences group but r human social sciences and these will surely help u. They will help u in increasing ur knowledge and undersstanding life better. But the pressure increases too much. Try appearing for as many subs as possible in the november session before appeasring in ur main subs in june. U may give islamiat and pakstudies in nov. this really eases the pressure as they r the subjects to be learnt by rote. and obv statistics is also a possibility as u can only appear in nov. so if u want to give statistics then give more subjects with it too. I gave isl, pakstd and stats in nov. now appearing for 8 more subs. Keep as many subs as u want. It may be hectic but obv the more u study the better it is.. the more the knwledge u get.. and any number of subs can be managed if u make a proper schedule.. and yes u can keep subjects in the last year... it only takes maximum 3 months for a subject.. Read a buk, get sme1s notes and do atleast 8 years past papers and u r complete with ur preperation for that sub... no need to take any tutions...

Reaction score
@ rahul, remz, zohaib sherazi and hamid ali: thanks A LOT...this will surely help my friend and me much :)

Reaction score
i will give stats in nov.tell me another subject which is not difficult .i am a sci student and had addmath too. so i just want to give that subject for A

Reaction score
Yes.. It always helps when you more than 10 A's to your name.. IVY League and Oxbridge universities would only consider you, if you have lik 12-15 A's in your O levels.. But with the inclusion of A star, I think the universities would look for candidates with greater number of A stars to their name rather than just normal A grade..

These were quite idealistic suggestion, but one has to be more realistic.. :) By that I mean, that if you aren't done with your basic subjects.. Like Sciences or Social Sciences whatever you've chosen.. Then I personally advice you DON'T go for extra subjects.. I've seen many candidates in my batch year 2008... Running after xtra subjects to get extra As but they did miserably in their basic subjects.. ended up scoring 4,5,6 As.. Which leads u no where these days..

So the choice is yours.. You can decide it for urself.. Hope that helps.. :)

Reaction score
The equation is simple. Once you've got the 10 major A's in your field related subjects. Then anything beyond that gives you an edge.

Abdullah Bin Khurram of roots gave 23 O levels got 13 A's, 9 B's and 1 U in Bible knowledge. In A level got 2 A's 1 B and is now studying at McGill Canada. A very prestigious institute in its own regard. Its not about how many subjects you give, not about how many A's you have. But the way you get them. Set your aim beyond merely getting into a University. Don't hesitate to do anything you feel is achievable for you. So, if you want to do related subjects as well you can go for them either. But give them in say the November session before your main session i.e June session begins.

Reaction score
Yes try appearing for 6 subs in November if u want to keep 14-15 subs. Best way to get a lot of As. The main preperation of olevels is always in the last 3-4 months and like this u get 2 sessions to prepare and get As.

Reaction score
no one said:
so what sub u gave?
how many A u got?

If u were asking me .. I got 8As out of 8 compulsory subjects .. I think my nick suggests it aswell.. :)