• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

English Tips

Reaction score
n
you could write on it as a general topic e-g what it is, its role in religion, what people believe nowadays i-e fate defined by actions, etc

you could also write a narrative, e-g your musing over the word fate i-e if everything is already written in fate, then what's the reason of life, and maybe you ask about it from an elder person etc and you get the answer to your curiosity :)

sounds kinda lame though
o, its good.. the narrative is much better. :)

Reaction score
First of all, try describing the word ... Watevr u think best describes the word, write it. Make a plan, it helps alot ( especially in one word). In ur plan write the things which cum to ur mind wen u hear the word then in ur writing describe all points in detail. Cover both aspects of the topic - fate can be gud or bad. Try connecting fate with other feelings, for eg if someone becomes an influential person according to his fate, he may have many adversaries. Hence feeling of acrimony develops b/w both parties. End the topic by explaining that one shud not b turned down by his ill-fate. He can always change his fate, partly by prayers and partly by his efforts and determination. Try ending the topic with a gud quote about fate ...
thank you!

Reaction score
If it's written that I should start with "To the Principal," for the report/account, does it mean I don't have to follow the "To: From: Subject: Date:" format?
I'm not sure but you should start like this,
To:
Subject:
Dated:
-----------------
First Para
------------------
Second Para
-----------------
Third Para
----------------
Reported By:
Signature.
Full Name.

Reaction score
If it's written that I should start with "To the Principal," for the report/account, does it mean I don't have to follow the "To: From: Subject: Date:" format?
no not necessary...tou can simply start from to the principal, write the report, and end with your full name...on left side

Reaction score
One Word Essays:
- The good thing about one word essays is that you can write it as a narrative, as an inspirational essay or as an essay describing an attribute of life.
- Starting the essay:
(i) Add a quote relevant to the topic, it generally helps. Don't just make up bizarre quotes, if you know a quote then add it, if you don't then no problem.
(ii) Start the essay in a open manner, describe the word and it's importance (if you're not going towards narrative style). For example: "Dreams - Dreams are an essential part of life, they are a collection of all the emotions and sensations of a person gathered into a real life play."
- The main body should be composed of how the attributes work as an inspirational, important part of life. For example: "Dreams act as an inspiration for people. Everyone dreams about what is hidden deep within their minds, something they desire, something they thrive for. When a person dreams about something he/she wants, he/she feels rejuvenated and inspired to do something to fulfill his dreams".
- Conclusion, summarize you're thoughts about the matter and finish with a strong sentence. For Example: "Imagine a person who does not dream - how envious he would feel; nothing to aim at, nothing to be inspired by."
- Generally, one word essays can be very open but tough to write. You need to put in a lot of thought into the essay and hence the plan is very essential. Take your time and plan out how you will approach the essay and then write an interesting, factual account on the topic.
- If you're writing narratives on a One Word Essay, go for stories like "Success Stories", "How Dreams Turned Into Reality".
- Here are some sample essays, read them and get an idea of how to approach the topics:
http://www.shareyouressays.com/1454/short-essay-on-success-is-not-a-matter-of-luck
http://cameronsenglish.wordpress.com/2012/04/24/narrative-essay-about-dreams/
http://www.scholaradvisor.com/essay-examples/narrative-essay-success-story/
http://www.shareyouressays.com/3478/846-words-short-essay-on-dreams
- If you want more samples, read the Red-spot past paper answers for English. They have good, easy one word essay samples.

Hope these tips help! :)
Everyone please pray that we all get A*'s in English and all other subjects this year. Aameen!
I usually start with describing the word first, n then mentioning its advantages n disadvantages eg if the topic was "Fame". Is this way correct?

Reaction score
I usually start with describing the word first, n then mentioning its advantages n disadvantages eg if the topic was "Fame". Is this way correct?
Yes, it is correct but care should taken that simple and lame definitions should not be given.

Reaction score
Hmm ... starting the topic is the most difficult task
In narratives and descriptive, it is relatively easy but it's difficult to maintain the quality. In Argumentative and Discursive, it's difficult to start but once you're there, it is easy to continue through.

Reaction score
D
I'm not sure but you should start like this,
To:
Subject:
Dated:
-----------------
First Para
------------------
Second Para
-----------------
Third Para
----------------
Reported By:
Signature.
Full Name.
Do you actually write To: Subject: and Dated: ? As in

To: The Police Officer
Subject: crime scene....
Dated: 13th of May 2013

do u write DATED? TO ..etc? or is it just the content under these headings?

Reaction score
D
Do you actually write To: Subject: and Dated: ? As in

To: The Police Officer
Subject: crime scene....
Dated: 13th of May 2013

do u write DATED? TO ..etc? or is it just the content under these headings?
You write them. The Subject is underlined.

Reaction score
how about the format of an ARTICLE? Is it just starting off with a suitable HEADING(related to the topic), the content and finally name and signature? how about the DATE?

Reaction score
one last query!
Is it the name or the rank of the recipient you mention after To: ?

Reaction score
Can anyone help me with the topic: "Fate" that is one word...??? :confused:
i would never recommend doing one word essays since we do not know what the examiners want from us to write, i mean if we write a narrative but the examiner was expecting a factual one, one will lose marks. Try narratives/descriptive essays since you will more likely get more marks than one word or argumentative essay.

Reaction score
i would never recommend doing one word essays since we do not know what the examiners want from us to write, i mean if we write a narrative but the examiner was expecting a factual one, one will lose marks. Try narratives/descriptive essays since you will more likely get more marks than one word or argumentative essay.
That's not true. It's CLEARLY stated in the examiner reports that the candidates offer any kind of narrative, descriptive, discursive writing in ONE word essays and that is the reason why they are generally popular.