• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

English Tips

Reaction score
Can anyone help me with the topic: "Fate" that is one word...??? :confused:

you could write on it as a general topic e-g what it is, its role in religion, what people believe nowadays i-e fate defined by actions, etc

you could also write a narrative, e-g your musing over the word fate i-e if everything is already written in fate, then what's the reason of life, and maybe you ask about it from an elder person etc and you get the answer to your curiosity :)

sounds kinda lame though

Reaction score
Can anyone help me with the topic: "Fate" that is one word...??? :confused:
First of all, try describing the word ... Watevr u think best describes the word, write it. Make a plan, it helps alot ( especially in one word). In ur plan write the things which cum to ur mind wen u hear the word then in ur writing describe all points in detail. Cover both aspects of the topic - fate can be gud or bad. Try connecting fate with other feelings, for eg if someone becomes an influential person according to his fate, he may have many adversaries. Hence feeling of acrimony develops b/w both parties. End the topic by explaining that one shud not b turned down by his ill-fate. He can always change his fate, partly by prayers and partly by his efforts and determination. Try ending the topic with a gud quote about fate ...

Reaction score
are violence(murder ,killing) and religion allowed in english paper? usama321
violence is not a good idea, about the religion part, i am not sure..............but if you are asking because of the fate thingy, then you can't explain the topic clearly without touching religion. Cuz the idea mainly comes from religion, and if there was no religion, i don't think the idea of fate would have even existed..

Reaction score
one more question. how do we end reports? do we do it with yours sincerely,sign,name or just sign and date. examiner report says dont end report like letters, usama321

Reaction score
Yes it is allowed. I've read in the examiner reports that candidates mention festivals such as 'Eid' and on certain occasion mention the 'Will of Allah' and earning the 'Dissatisfaction of Allah'. But not to an extreme level.

Reaction score
would you plz give tips regarding story writing as well because it is preferably better to attempt story writing as it gives greater chances for gaining marks!
I wouldn't agree with that. Every candidate should opt for whatever he finds easy. You gain marks for a convincing piece of writing not for writing stories. :)
I'm very bad at narratives. I can't give my own piece of advice but in the attachment I've added in the previous page "English 1123 Guide", you'll find advice for the narratives. Also, here are the Examiner Tips for narratives:
- Decide on a tense and then stick to it; do not jump between present and past. The normal narrative tense is past and those who try to write in the present usually forget to do so after a while, so it is safer to start off in the past.
- Know what your last sentence is going to be before you write your first. A narrative has to build up to a climax and lead towards a conclusion which is planned before it starts or it will end lamely or incomprehensibly, or the pace will be too slow or too fast.
- Don’t try to do too much; you can’t cover many events and many years in one short composition. Select key moments and skip over the rest, changing the pace according to the intensity of the moment.
- Do not try to include too many characters (generally fewer than three is best) Don’t try to give them all speech.
- For the top grade, complexity of narrative and structure is required e.g. framing the story; flashback or forward time jump; two parallel strands being brought together. However, do not attempt these devices unless you are sure you can manage them.
- Use dialogue by all means (if you can punctuate and set it out correctly) but don’t overdo it. You shouldn’t turn your story into a play, nor should you dilute the effect of occasional and significant moments of speech by giving the characters trivial things to say throughout. Save speech for important moments.
- If you do use dialogue, find synonyms for ‘he said/she said’.
- Even narrative needs description. You need to help your reader imagine characters and places by adding significant details to bring them alive .
- Choose to tell your narrative in first or third person and stick with your choice; do not switch viewpoint accidentally, as this is confusing for the reader
- Do not use a first person narrator if you want to die at the end of your story! It is generally safer to use third person narration as it gives you more flexibility and a wider viewpoint.
- Do not end your story with ‘And then I woke up in hospital’, or ‘It was all a dream’. Try to avoid clichés of any kind, including stereotyped characters and predictable outcomes.
- Use similes, but avoid obvious ones such as ‘as red as a rose’. Make comparisons unusual, but still apt, by giving them a moment’s thought and making them more specific e.g. ‘as red as a matador’s cape’.
- Use plenty of interesting details to engage your reader and make them want to read on.
- Don’t exaggerate; too much gore or too many unlikely events become ridiculous, and fear is more believable when it is mental rather than physical.
- Use your own knowledge and experiences as inspiration. It is better to think of something that actually happened to you, or someone you know, or which you read in a book or saw in a film, than to try to make up something entirely from scratch. It will sound more convincing. You will need to adapt, embellish and exaggerate the original idea to make it relevant, fresh and memorable - just retelling the plot synopsis or giving a factual account is not likely to interest your reader.
- Keep a balance in the different parts of the narrative. An over-long introduction reduces the effect of the middle section where things build up to a climax, and you need to leave yourself time to create a memorable ending.
- End your narrative deliberately. Stories need a conclusion, where things are either resolved or left unresolved as a cliff-hanger (though on the whole readers prefer to know how a story ended.). You must not give the impression that you stopped writing because you ran out of time, ink or ideas.

Reaction score
one more question. how do we end reports? do we do it with yours sincerely,sign,name or just sign and date. examiner report says dont end report like letters, usama321

Saad Mughal Can you pls anwer this? I have problem with the formats too :confused: I think reports should be ended with yours sincerely/faithfully, sign and name

Reaction score
I wouldn't agree with that. Every candidate should opt for whatever he finds easy. You gain marks for a convincing piece of writing not for writing stories. :)
I'm very bad at narratives. I can't give my own piece of advice but in the attachment I've added in the previous page "English 1123 Guide", you'll find advice for the narratives. Also, here are the Examiner Tips for narratives:
- Decide on a tense and then stick to it; do not jump between present and past. The normal narrative tense is past and those who try to write in the present usually forget to do so after a while, so it is safer to start off in the past.
- Know what your last sentence is going to be before you write your first. A narrative has to build up to a climax and lead towards a conclusion which is planned before it starts or it will end lamely or incomprehensibly, or the pace will be too slow or too fast.
- Don’t try to do too much; you can’t cover many events and many years in one short composition. Select key moments and skip over the rest, changing the pace according to the intensity of the moment.
- Do not try to include too many characters (generally fewer than three is best) Don’t try to give them all speech.
- For the top grade, complexity of narrative and structure is required e.g. framing the story; flashback or forward time jump; two parallel strands being brought together. However, do not attempt these devices unless you are sure you can manage them.
- Use dialogue by all means (if you can punctuate and set it out correctly) but don’t overdo it. You shouldn’t turn your story into a play, nor should you dilute the effect of occasional and significant moments of speech by giving the characters trivial things to say throughout. Save speech for important moments.
- If you do use dialogue, find synonyms for ‘he said/she said’.
- Even narrative needs description. You need to help your reader imagine characters and places by adding significant details to bring them alive .
- Choose to tell your narrative in first or third person and stick with your choice; do not switch viewpoint accidentally, as this is confusing for the reader
- Do not use a first person narrator if you want to die at the end of your story! It is generally safer to use third person narration as it gives you more flexibility and a wider viewpoint.
- Do not end your story with ‘And then I woke up in hospital’, or ‘It was all a dream’. Try to avoid clichés of any kind, including stereotyped characters and predictable outcomes.
- Use similes, but avoid obvious ones such as ‘as red as a rose’. Make comparisons unusual, but still apt, by giving them a moment’s thought and making them more specific e.g. ‘as red as a matador’s cape’.
- Use plenty of interesting details to engage your reader and make them want to read on.
- Don’t exaggerate; too much gore or too many unlikely events become ridiculous, and fear is more believable when it is mental rather than physical.
- Use your own knowledge and experiences as inspiration. It is better to think of something that actually happened to you, or someone you know, or which you read in a book or saw in a film, than to try to make up something entirely from scratch. It will sound more convincing. You will need to adapt, embellish and exaggerate the original idea to make it relevant, fresh and memorable - just retelling the plot synopsis or giving a factual account is not likely to interest your reader.
- Keep a balance in the different parts of the narrative. An over-long introduction reduces the effect of the middle section where things build up to a climax, and you need to leave yourself time to create a memorable ending.
- End your narrative deliberately. Stories need a conclusion, where things are either resolved or left unresolved as a cliff-hanger (though on the whole readers prefer to know how a story ended.). You must not give the impression that you stopped writing because you ran out of time, ink or ideas.
hmmm thankew..well i have another doubt...a friend of mine said that by using higher class vocabulory, we could gain more marks in expression...is that right? because i'm not able to agree with her.

Reaction score
hmmm thankew..well i have another doubt...a friend of mine said that by using higher class vocabulory, we could gain more marks in expression...is that right? because i'm not able to agree with her.
Look, if you don't have a whole library of fancy words then it doesn't matter. Use simple vocabulary with good use of tenses, sentence structures and punctuation. Make you're content fun and interesting to read and you'll get marks in b/w Band 1 and Band 2.

Reaction score
what about the examiner reports? see this. by ending with yours sincerely,sign,name we are ending it like a letter
Letter valediction includes endings such as "Cheers, Truly Yours, Love". A proper ending to a Dear Sir/Madam is to end it with Yours Faithfully, Signature, Name. If you have any problem with the Regards, then just add Signature and Name by the end.

Reaction score
Letter valediction includes endings such as "Cheers, Truly Yours, Love". A proper ending to a Dear Sir/Madam is to end it with Yours Faithfully, Signature, Name. If you have any problem with the Regards, then just add Signature and Name by the end.
thnks :)

Reaction score
what about the examiner reports? see this. by ending with yours sincerely,sign,name we are ending it like a letter
i searched it out and we connot use these words, we simply have to end with our name at the left side.

Reaction score
Look, if you don't have a whole library of fancy words then it doesn't matter. Use simple vocabulary with good use of tenses, sentence structures and punctuation. Make you're content fun and interesting to read and you'll get marks in b/w Band 1 and Band 2.
Yep. Got it. Thanks (y)

Reaction score
If it's written that I should start with "To the Principal," for the report/account, does it mean I don't have to follow the "To: From: Subject: Date:" format?