• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Economics: Post your doubts here (O + A level)

Reaction score
No. lateral integration is another term for horizontal integration
really but then u posted a sight in one of ur reply and wen i went thru it dey have put the heading as lateral integration and explained conglomerate integration. Can u clarify about this quickly? PLEASE

Reaction score
really but then u posted a sight in one of ur reply and wen i went thru it dey have put the heading as lateral integration and explained conglomerate integration. Can u clarify about this quickly? PLEASE

My teacher said its horizontal o_O i think its wrong the note one I mean.
Sorry I don't. I'm also scared :(

Reaction score

Tariff is a tax place on import of a good or service in order to increase its price and reduce the consumption of imported products plus switch the consumers to consume the domestic products. A tariff can either be specific for eg . 5 cents per product or it can be a percentage for eg. 20% of the total value of goods imported.There are points for and against the use of tariffs.

For:
  • Infant industry protection
  • Protect the employment in country
  • to correct a deficit in the balance of payments.
  • to raise revenue for government
  • protect a particular group for eg. farmers.
  • to avoid dumping.
Against:
  • Free trade has been the engine of growth during the past few years and tariff is a barrier to that.
  • the use of barriers like tariff may increase the gap b/w poor and rich countries.
  • it may reduce amt of choices of products for consumers.
  • infant industry protected might be inefficient and may charge higher prices.

Reaction score
I teach economics, If anyone of you has any problem in this subject, you can ask here. I will be more than happy to help.

I just want to confirm if my concept is correct or not :

If terms of trade has improved then it doesn't necessarily mean that there is Balance of payments surplus B/C
1)-terms of trade is the ratio of (index of exports)/(index of imports) ... which in reality depends on prices ... so if export prices increases your terms of trades improves ...

Is this correct .. ?? Also tell me any additional details if you feel I lack essence of understanding .. :(

thank you.. :)

Reaction score
Tariff is a tax place on import of a good or service in order to increase its price and reduce the consumption of imported products plus switch the consumers to consume the domestic products. A tariff can either be specific for eg . 5 cents per product or it can be a percentage for eg. 20% of the total value of goods imported.There are points for and against the use of tariffs.

For:
  • to avoid dumping.
Against:
  • Free trade has been the engine of growth during the past few years and tariff is a barrier to that.
  • the use of barriers like tariff may increase the gap b/w poor and rich countries.
thaky you :D

Reaction score
What can I talk about here?
The economic analysis of wage determination states that all wages rates in different occupations
will in the long run become the same and equal to the average product of labour.
Discuss this statement.

Reaction score

For:
  • to avoid dumping.
Against:

A2 economics paper 43 nov12

What can I talk about here?
The economic analysis of wage determination states that all wages rates in different occupations
will in the long run become the same and equal to the average product of labour.
Discuss this statement.

Reaction score
I had a question actually but it is not about the syllabus its about the grade threshold:
The A* grade in economics in may/june 2012 variant 1 is from 156
but if we add up the maximum marks of the separate papers(1,2 and 3)
30+80+40=150
which is lower than the mark required for A* :eek:
How is this possible? Is there a calculation made to the marks before applying the gt? or are we required to solve extra questions in paper 2 to get an A*, but the maximum mark for paper 2 is 80, so no matter how much i solve the maximum mark i'll get will be 80.
Even in the other variants of the same year it is 141 which is still very high and in the other years the was the same issue (e.g in oct 2012 the A* was from 166)
Please someone explain this because it is very confusing. :confused:

Reaction score
Can someone help me for this question pls

22 The table shows all of the items on the current account of a country’s balance of payments.
$ million
exports of goods 143
imports of goods 156
exports of services 75
imports of services 72
net transfers + 5
What is the value of the current account balance?
A $13m deficit
B $10m deficit
C $5m deficit
D $3m surplus

why is ans :c how to get ans

Thanks

Reaction score
Can someone help me for this question pls

22 The table shows all of the items on the current account of a country’s balance of payments.
$ million
exports of goods 143
imports of goods 156
exports of services 75
imports of services 72
net transfers + 5
What is the value of the current account balance?
A $13m deficit
B $10m deficit
C $5m deficit
D $3m surplus

why is ans :c how to get ans

Thanks

C is the correct answer
because the current account of balance should be calculated this way= (Net Exports & Imports) + (Net Transfers)
so =[(143+75)-(156+72)] +5 = -5