• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Debating!

Reaction score
islamiat in May june 2013 {Olevel}
bcoz Igcse doesn't offers Islamic studies

Reaction score
The only university in Pakistan I know of which has good debaters is lums. But I don't think universities have debate coaches these days.

Yes I debated for some time. Participated in tournament and won one.

University style is a four way contest. 2 sides for the topic and 2 against it. I only did university style and MUN once. I didn't like them so didn't go there again

The main thing with debates is you must have a lot of general knowledge. Essentially to prove your point you must present forth evidence from history etc. read newspapers
Nyt
Wsj
Wp
Guardian
Time
Telegraph
Economist

There is also this website idebate.org

I guess the most important thing is to be confident of expressing your opinions. Generally female debaters find it difficult to confidently express themselves. So you would probably need to work on that a lot

Which university are you applying to?

In sha Allah plans are for NUST and Allah knows best. Thank you for helping and I am sorry if I am being repetitive but could you please answer my questions in my last post because I've been having these questions for quite sometime now and would really want them cleared.

Reaction score
In sha Allah plans are for NUST and Allah knows best. Thank you for helping and I am sorry if I am being repetitive but could you please answer my questions in my last post because I've been having these questions for quite sometime now and would really want them cleared.

Apply to lums! What do you want to do, engineering? Lums has electrical only

Well, I've heard that someone wasn't a very good debater in school but improved quite a lot later on and became a debating coach of a school so maybe you can learn debating at any age. I think what matters is your commitment. Debating isn't the easiest thing but it can be mastered if you learn to condition your nerves and think calmly

MUN is like a big pool of speakers regulated by chairpersons. You speak and represent the view of your own country when the chair asks you to do so. There are topics on which you have to speak. Normally people who have a good understanding with the chairs have more opportunities to speak. There are honorable mentions and best speaker awards

University style is 4 teams. 2 in proposition and 2 in opposition. First prop is followed by first pop, then second prop and finally second prop. Usually proposition defend each other from the oppositions attack. The job of second prop and second opp is to turn the debate away from the first 2 sides. They bring in new issues and that's how they beat the other sides. You have 4 positions that are awarded according to who was the best in turning the focus of debate onto their own issues etc

Parliamentary debate is 2 teams each with 5 members. 3 speakers and 2 resources. All 5 prepare the case in the hour before the debate but only 3 present their cases in 8 minute speeches each. First prop then comes first opp, second prop, second opp, third prop and third opp. Then come the reply speeches, they are 4min long. Reply opp and then reply prop (order reversed here)
The reply speaker is either the first or second speaker. It can't be the third speaker

The job of first prop is to tell us in first 2 min is why this debate is taking place and give us the definitions of important words in the debate. He also mentions the three lines of argument. He details the first two lines of arguments and leaves the third to the second prop. After the first min has elapsed the opp can ask questions to the prop. You can take them or reject them. You cannot ask questions in the last minute

The job of first opp is to detail his own 2 lines of argument in about 3 minutes. And in the rest 5 minute, attack the prop case. The opp also faces questions from the prop. Usually you must take 2 questions, it's the golden rule

The second prop details his own line of argument in about three min, attacks the first opp and defend the first prop in the rest 5 min. The second opp does the same with three min of his own argument, 5 min on defending first opp and attacking both the first and second prop.

The third prop and third opp don't have any lines of argument. Essentially they cannot bring in any radically new idea in the debate. What they do is they give a summary of what happened in the debate and how their side negated the argument of the other side

The reply speakers just give summaries and add some emotional speeches and final arguments. The prop wins if their case remains standing at the end of debate. The opp wins if they destroy the prop case. If both teams build up their own cases and there is no clash of ideas in the debate, then the prop wins. The job of opp is primarily to bring down the prop case, not make their own. Their own case is a secondary consideration

One thing more, if the definitions given by first prop is too biased in their favor, then the opposition can give a definition challenge in first opp speech. Now this makes the debate ugly as now debate being focused more on the topic, becomes a debate on whose definition is correct etc. so normally the prop wouldn't give too biased of a definition. The job of opp is to tell the judge how the lines of argument presented by the prop negate their own very definitions

You can only search on YouTube videos of "Pakistan WSDC". You must listen the whole debate to get idea of how the whole thing works. Also visit idebate.org

Reaction score

Well, I've heard that someone wasn't a very good debater in school but improved quite a lot later on and became a debating coach of a school so maybe you can learn debating at any age. I think what matters is your commitment. Debating isn't the easiest thing but it can be mastered if you learn to condition your nerves and think calmly

MUN is like a big pool of speakers regulated by chairpersons. You speak and represent the view of your own country when the chair asks you to do so. There are topics on which you have to speak. Normally people who have a good understanding with the chairs have more opportunities to speak. There are honorable mentions and best speaker awards

University style is 4 teams. 2 in proposition and 2 in opposition. First prop is followed by first pop, then second prop and finally second prop. Usually proposition defend each other from the oppositions attack. The job of second prop and second opp is to turn the debate away from the first 2 sides. They bring in new issues and that's how they beat the other sides. You have 4 positions that are awarded according to who was the best in turning the focus of debate onto their own issues etc

Parliamentary debate is 2 teams each with 5 members. 3 speakers and 2 resources. All 5 prepare the case in the hour before the debate but only 3 present their cases in 8 minute speeches each. First prop then comes first opp, second prop, second opp, third prop and third opp. Then come the reply speeches, they are 4min long. Reply opp and then reply prop (order reversed here)
The reply speaker is either the first or second speaker. It can't be the third speaker

The job of first prop is to tell us in first 2 min is why this debate is taking place and give us the definitions of important words in the debate. He also mentions the three lines of argument. He details the first two lines of arguments and leaves the third to the second prop. After the first min has elapsed the opp can ask questions to the prop. You can take them or reject them. You cannot ask questions in the last minute

The job of first opp is to detail his own 2 lines of argument in about 3 minutes. And in the rest 5 minute, attack the prop case. The opp also faces questions from the prop. Usually you must take 2 questions, it's the golden rule

The second prop details his own line of argument in about three min, attacks the first opp and defend the first prop in the rest 5 min. The second opp does the same with three min of his own argument, 5 min on defending first opp and attacking both the first and second prop.

The third prop and third opp don't have any lines of argument. Essentially they cannot bring in any radically new idea in the debate. What they do is they give a summary of what happened in the debate and how their side negated the argument of the other side

The reply speakers just give summaries and add some emotional speeches and final arguments. The prop wins if their case remains standing at the end of debate. The opp wins if they destroy the prop case. If both teams build up their own cases and there is no clash of ideas in the debate, then the prop wins. The job of opp is primarily to bring down the prop case, not make their own. Their own case is a secondary consideration

One thing more, if the definitions given by first prop is too biased in their favor, then the opposition can give a definition challenge in first opp speech. Now this makes the debate ugly as now debate being focused more on the topic, becomes a debate on whose definition is correct etc. so normally the prop wouldn't give too biased of a definition. The job of opp is to tell the judge how the lines of argument presented by the prop negate their own very definitions
L
Actually I wanna do electrical engineering :D

Reaction score

You can only search on YouTube videos of "Pakistan WSDC". You must listen the whole debate to get idea of how the whole thing works. Also visit idebate.org

JazakaAllah so so soooooo much! Extremely extremely kind of you to spare the time. Your post really helped Alhumdulillah. In sha Allah I'll be going for medicine In sha Allah so LUMS is out of question. :) I agree, if one is committed then age doesn't matter. Once again, thank you, my questions have been answered.