• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Debating!

Reaction score
Assalam-o-alaikum everyone,

I would like to know how people prepare themselves for debating. By that, I mean what should one do to be able to debate. I absolutely love debating but I have never actually participated in one but now I want to. Please any debaters/non-debaters with some tips, I request you guys to share them with me. JazakaAllah and thank you in advance.

Reaction score
Ermm, I don't have much knowledge about the kinds of debates there are but I do want to do the Model United Nations' type. Could you be kind enough to enlighten me a little about this.

Reaction score
I'll ask my teammates to give me d link
#do u have operative clause thingy in ur debate

Reaction score
Thank you for the links. I'll have a thorough look at them. I believe you also debate. That's great. I'd really appreciate it if you could walk me through the whole process of how you started debating. Do you have to learn how to debate or is it just like giving speeches but with more knowledge and research involved?

Reaction score
for mun I am following wht d skool told me to do .For mun qatar one has to be perfect in all aspects

Reaction score
See I haven't really started or ever done debating because my school doesn't offer it but I want to know how to do it for University.
South Africa/Southern Africa.

Reaction score
Assalam-o-alaikum everyone,

I would like to know how people prepare themselves for debating. By that, I mean what should one do to be able to debate. I absolutely love debating but I have never actually participated in one but now I want to. Please any debaters/non-debaters with some tips, I request you guys to share them with me. JazakaAllah and thank you in advance.
Wsalam

You are from which city and which school?
(Usually only good schools employ debating coaches) I can recommend schools in lahore which do so. One thing you must realize is that debating is a professional thing. A coach can be paid 30,000rs a month for teaching you how to debate. You have a debating session every day almost from june to december usually. Then after 3-4 days during the rest of year. The time is from 3 to 7 o clock usually. From june to december, you have a tournament every weekend. The best speakers from Pakistan are selected after the Nationals for a team for WSDC (world school debating championship) in which you represent pakistan

What sort of debating do you like. Parliamentary, University style or Model UN?

For parliamentary debates, there are 3 speakers and 2 resource members. Before the debate all 5 prepare the case, but only 3 present the case during the debate. Resources are NOT selected for Pakistan WSDC team and you dont win any speaker awards. The only trophy you could win is the team winner or runners-up trophy

And which class are you in? You have lots of time in earlier classes and usually the eariler you start the better it is

Reaction score
anwar2400
JazakaAllah sooo much for all this information. Very kind of you.
I live in South Africa so the coaching classes cannot actually work for me. And I have finished my A2 Alhumdulillah so does that mean I am not really at the 'typical' age to learn how to debate? But I feel that it doesn't really matter what age you start, I mean if I am interested I can still do it now even In sha Allah, right? I'd want the MUN style, I want to do it at the University level In sha Allah in a Pakistani University. Do you debate? Could you be kind enough to brief me on how really the whole process of debating works? Because I have never participated in one. And how is the University style different from the MUN style? Also is it 'impossible' to learn how to debate without the help of a coach?

Thank you once again.

Reaction score
anwar2400
JazakaAllah sooo much for all this information. Very kind of you.
I live in South Africa so the coaching classes cannot actually work for me. And I have finished my A2 Alhumdulillah so does that mean I am not really at the 'typical' age to learn how to debate? But I feel that it doesn't really matter what age you start, I mean if I am interested I can still do it now even In sha Allah, right? I'd want the MUN style, I want to do it at the University level In sha Allah in a Pakistani University. Do you debate? Could you be kind enough to brief me on how really the whole process of debating works? Because I have never participated in one. And how is the University style different from the MUN style? Also is it 'impossible' to learn how to debate without the help of a coach?

Thank you once again.
The only university in Pakistan I know of which has good debaters is lums. But I don't think universities have debate coaches these days.

Yes I debated for some time. Participated in tournament and won one.

University style is a four way contest. 2 sides for the topic and 2 against it. I only did university style and MUN once. I didn't like them so didn't go there again

The main thing with debates is you must have a lot of general knowledge. Essentially to prove your point you must present forth evidence from history etc. read newspapers
Nyt
Wsj
Wp
Guardian
Time
Telegraph
Economist

There is also this website idebate.org

I guess the most important thing is to be confident of expressing your opinions. Generally female debaters find it difficult to confidently express themselves. So you would probably need to work on that a lot

Which university are you applying to?