• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
View attachment 63506
How to do part(ii)
Anyone?
Well for this just equate the reaction constant because it will be the same.
For two equations from any of the two reactions (ill be using 2 and 3) by making k the subject
they will be as follows
1- k = 2/0.2^1 x o.o15^n
2- k =8/0.4^1 x 0.030^n
equate them and the following equation will form
8/0.4^1 x 0.030^n = 2/0.2^1 x o.o15^n
find the value of n.
I used one for the other reactnat becuz v calculate its order in part i) already and its 1.

Reaction score
Well for this just equate the reaction constant because it will be the same.
For two equations from any of the two reactions (ill be using 2 and 3) by making k the subject
they will be as follows
1- k = 2/0.2^1 x o.o15^n
2- k =8/0.4^1 x 0.030^n
equate them and the following equation will form
8/0.4^1 x 0.030^n = 2/0.2^1 x o.o15^n
find the value of n.
I used one for the other reactnat becuz v calculate its order in part i) already and its 1.
thanks

Reaction score
What is the product with Br2 and how is it formed?

Phenol is very reactive because a lone pair from oxygen over laps with the delocalised pi system in the benzene ring.
Usually for benzene to react with Bromine we require bromine as a pure liquid and a catalyst
But with phenol an aqueous solution works! As it is more reactive and has a higher charge density.

The hydroxide group is a ortho para director. This means that any incoming group will be placed in the 2, 4 and/or 6 position. You will understand what i mean if you see the picture.
As 6 is already occupied only 2 and 4 will be used by bromine

Attachments

• phenol.PNG
    phenol.PNG
    530.2 KB · Views: 10
Reaction score
And mentioning H2O wasn't compulsory...right?
I think it was compulsory since it specifically stated to write an equation of ammonium with water.
Besides no need to dwell on the past whats best right now is to prepare for the next papers.
So how is everyone's chem p1 going along?
I always get stuck with organic mcqs any tips?

Reaction score
I think it was compulsory since it specifically stated to write an equation of ammonium with water.
Besides no need to dwell on the past whats best right now is to prepare for the next papers.
So how is everyone's chem p1 going along?
I always get stuck with organic mcqs any tips?
Tym is a big issue in P1...but we've got much tym to prepare for that
Best tip is to practise as much as possible

Reaction score
The question said, write an equation, including state symbols, to show THIS behaviour of ammonium...so I think that both will be acceptable bqz showing the behaviour of ammonium was important and the equation must have been linked to our explanation so if we explained in terms of H+ ions, then writing the equation including only H+ and excluding H2O will be acceptable....No??

Reaction score
The question said, write an equation, including state symbols, to show THIS behaviour of ammonium...so I think that both will be acceptable bqz showing the behaviour of ammonium was important and the equation must have been linked to our explanation so if we explained in terms of H+ ions, then writing the equation including only H+ and excluding H2O will be acceptable....No??

Did it say " this behavior of ammonium with WATER '' . coz if it didn't.. will the equation NH4+ + OH- ----> NH3 + H2O work ?? i dont know whether it specifically said '' water ''