• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Hey guys, hope you guys are studying well for paper 4. I am wondering about this question, why when excess bromine is added, it only attaches to the phenyl group and doesn't add to the double bond by electrophilic addition. Is it a rule? Thanks and good luck(y)20180513_205006.jpg

Attachments

• 20180513_205006.jpg
    20180513_205006.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 2
Reaction score
Hey guys, hope you guys are studying well for paper 4. I am wondering about this question, why when excess bromine is added, it only attaches to the phenyl group and doesn't add to the double bond by electrophilic addition. Is it a rule? Thanks and good luck(y)View attachment 63538
The state of br2 should be liquid i think and not aq

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-13 at 9.15.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-13 at 9.15.54 PM.png
    55.9 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score
Hey guys, hope you guys are studying well for paper 4. I am wondering about this question, why when excess bromine is added, it only attaches to the phenyl group and doesn't add to the double bond by electrophilic addition. Is it a rule? Thanks and good luck(y)View attachment 63538
lol i dint quite get this either
my teacher also dint get the concept behind this
but he said that if there are two reactions ans theyre asking for one, the one with phenol should be considered

Reaction score
https://papers.gceguide.com/A Levels/Chemistry (9701)/9701_s17_qp_42.pdf for Q3Biii why do we divide the answer in ii by 3? pls explain
Because in the previous part u calculated no. of moles of NaOH.
Now consider both the equations
2NaOH + SO2----> Na2SO3 +H2O
NaOH + HCl ------> NaCl + H2O
so u see that three moles of NaOH r required to react with one mole of SO2 and 1 of HCl.
So to produce 1 mole of HCl and of SO2 the RCOOH should be 1/3 of the NaOH.

Reaction score
upload_2018-5-14_9-34-49.png
The ones I've circled in red are all having different chemcal environments...these are 5 carbons
The two in blue have the same env. as they are both next to the adjacent C atom in benzene next to the side chain so we will consider this 1 env.
Same goes for both in green...they are BOTH next to the Carbon side chain linked to benzene so both have same env. so v will consider this one env. too
so 1 + 1+ 5 = 7 different env.

Nickel will have cis trans isomers because it has two pairs of different kinds of ligands. Just draw two planar structures.
Also since Ni is not bonded to a bidentate or 4 different ligands, there should be no optical isomerism here.