• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
upload_2016-4-15_20-32-46.png
When M is reacted under acidic conditions with HCl, the two reactions that occur are the hydrolysis of ester, and amide present in this compound (it has been indicated in the diagram above).

The hydrolysis of these will give you two compounds:
HO2CCH2OH and HO2CCH2NH2

As the conditions are acidic, the amine produced would be protonated under acidic conditions, giving HO2CCH2NH3+, hence the answer will be B.

Reaction score
How comes the answer is C? Silver nitrate and ammonia solution are used to test halides, not alcohols!! :(
a li'l explanation please!

q20.jpg

Reaction score
View attachment 60354
When M is reacted under acidic conditions with HCl, the two reactions that occur are the hydrolysis of ester, and amide present in this compound (it has been indicated in the diagram above).

The hydrolysis of these will give you two compounds:
HO2CCH2OH and HO2CCH2NH2

As the conditions are acidic, the amine produced would be protonated under acidic conditions, giving HO2CCH2NH3+, hence the answer will be B.
I get that. I find it a bit difficult to visualize the products tho.

Reaction score
W1041 part c 2. Why does the alkene not split when the reagent used is hot KMno4?
6 c ii?
It does split mate. One in the C=C, one is holding to an H, which produces COOH when ooxidised, the other is bonded to two Carbons, so it makes a ketone

Reaction score
can someone please explain this qs? :/
Well to be honest there isn't much explanation for this.
You just had to know that white phosphorus (the very reactive allotrope of phosphorus) is P4... A tetrahedral structure. As the mark scheme shows, you can connect them all such that each P atom has three bonds.
Over time, white phosphorus tends to change into red phosphorus. In fact, by heating up white phosphorus above 250 degrees, this process can be accelerated to form red phosphorus from white phosphorus. One of the P-P bonds in white phosphorus molecule breaks to form a bond with a neighboring P4 molecule. This is just like polymerisation. So you can show any length of this chain in your diagram.

So to summarize, white phosphorus is P4 and red phosphorus is just a bunch of P4's joined together.

As for whether this is in our syllabus, I have no idea.

Reaction score
Well to be honest there isn't much explanation for this.
You just had to know that white phosphorus (the very reactive allotrope of phosphorus) is P4... A tetrahedral structure. As the mark scheme shows, you can connect them all such that each P atom has three bonds.
Over time, white phosphorus tends to change into red phosphorus. In fact, by heating up white phosphorus above 250 degrees, this process can be accelerated to form red phosphorus from white phosphorus. One of the P-P bonds in white phosphorus molecule breaks to form a bond with a neighboring P4 molecule. This is just like polymerisation. So you can show any length of this chain in your diagram.

So to summarize, white phosphorus is P4 and red phosphorus is just a bunch of P4's joined together.

As for whether this is in our syllabus, I have no idea.
even i was wondering if its there :/
but thank you i understood the explanation

Reaction score
Can someone please explain these polymer questions
M/j/13/41 q8 the first part
and m/j/13/42 q8 8 b(i)
URGENT !!

Attachments

• 9701_s13_qp_41.pdf
    287.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 9701_s13_qp_42.pdf
    296.8 KB · Views: 6