• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
View attachment 60328
Part (ii). I was wondering is it acceptable if the reagent is some nitrate salt of a metal more reactive than Mg like KNO3 or NaNO3 so a double displacement reaction takes place.
I don't think it will work because nitric acid is a strong acid which neutralized MgO, on the other hand KNO3 is almost neutral and is moderately soluble in water. I doubt if it'll react at all and of course to be on the safe side, we'd better write what we already came across in our syllabus

Reaction score
I don't think it will work because nitric acid is a strong acid which neutralized MgO, on the other hand KNO3 is almost neutral and is moderately soluble in water. I doubt if it'll react at all and of course to be on the safe side, we'd better write what we already came across in our syllabus
Alrighty then. Thanks :D

Reaction score
Ik I am asking silly questions but I just want to be on the safe side :rolleyes:
The skeletal formula of 2-3 dimethyl but 2 ene and propanone are like this in the msScreenshot_20160414-183900.jpg
This is how I drew them14606485117892084645563.jpg they're fine right?o_O

Reaction score
Ik I am asking silly questions but I just want to be on the safe side :rolleyes:
The skeletal formula of 2-3 dimethyl but 2 ene and propanone are like this in the msView attachment 60329
This is how I drew themView attachment 60330 they're fine right?o_O
yep, they are alright! The main thing is The alkene should have a double bond in between, which you drew right, and the number of carbons should be same which is also okay...The ketone also has it's functional group all fine and carbon atoms too. It doesn't matter how much we rotate it, or draw it in which way, because it all means the same (remember, as long as we don't count it as another isomer, it's the same molecule)

Reaction score
Do I have to use skeletal formula in Paper 4? It seems like all the answers in the markscheme are standardised to use skeletal formula, but I am more comfortable with the displayed formula. I know sometimes they specify but do I have to use if its not specified in the question?

Reaction score
Do I have to use skeletal formula in Paper 4? It seems like all the answers in the markscheme are standardised to use skeletal formula, but I am more comfortable with the displayed formula. I know sometimes they specify but do I have to use if its not specified in the question?
its always better to use whatever is present in the mark scheme if u want to b on a safe side

Reaction score
If it isn't specified in the question, you can use any as long as it is correct.

Reaction score
Anyone please explain?
View attachment 60340
Notice that before hydrolysis, we have total 5 alcohols, one primary alcohol, the one projecting upwards on top left, and the other 4 are all primary, because all of them are bonded to a carbon which, in turn, is bonded to another carbon.
After hydrolysis, the Cls will be replaced by OH, our primary alcohol remains the same as 1, secondary increase by 1, because another secondary has been added when the left sided chlorine gets replaced by OH. The Cl on the very right, gets replaced by OH as well, but since it is bonded to a carbon atom, which in turn, is bonded to more than 2 carbon atoms, that one becomes a tertiary alcohol. That leaves us with the option C.

Reaction score
Notice that before hydrolysis, we have total 5 alcohols, one primary alcohol, the one projecting upwards on top left, and the other 4 are all primary, because all of them are bonded to a carbon which, in turn, is bonded to another carbon.
After hydrolysis, the Cls will be replaced by OH, our primary alcohol remains the same as 1, secondary increase by 1, because another secondary has been added when the left sided chlorine gets replaced by OH. The Cl on the very right, gets replaced by OH as well, but since it is bonded to a carbon atom, which in turn, is bonded to more than 2 carbon atoms, that one becomes a tertiary alcohol. That leaves us with the option C.
I got it thanks. I had been confusing sth.

Reaction score
can someone please explain this qs? :/

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 11