• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
can someone please give me advice for organic chemistry?
i understand the concepts but its pastpapers tht kill me :/
any idea wht to do?

Reaction score
Reaction score
Please help (M/J 2012 P11 number 22)

A sample of ethyl ethanoate is hydrolysed by heating under reflux with aqueous sodium hydroxide. The two organic products of the hydrolysis are separated, purified, and weighed.
Out of the total mass of products obtained, what is the percentage by mass of each product?

A) 32.4% and 67.6%
B) 38.3% and 61.7%
C) 42.3% and 57.7%
D) 50.0% and 50.0%

Thank you

Reaction score
Please help (M/J 2012 P11 number 22)

A sample of ethyl ethanoate is hydrolysed by heating under reflux with aqueous sodium hydroxide. The two organic products of the hydrolysis are separated, purified, and weighed.
Out of the total mass of products obtained, what is the percentage by mass of each product?

A) 32.4% and 67.6%
B) 38.3% and 61.7%
C) 42.3% and 57.7%
D) 50.0% and 50.0%

Thank you

You have misread the question, it should be ethyl propanoate.

Products are thus CH3CH2OH and CH3CH2COONa.

Using their Mr, % by mass of CH3CH2OH = 46/(46+96) =32.4%

Reaction score
can someone please give me advice for organic chemistry?
i understand the concepts but its pastpapers tht kill me :/
any idea wht to do?
just solve maximum pastpapers, that is the only possible good thing to do. Oh and make sure all of your concepts are clear

Reaction score

Catalyst is a substance which speeds up the rate of a chemical reaction & is chemically unchanged at the end of the reaction
Example 1:- The Haber Process
N2 (g) + 3H2 (g) ------Fe (s) ------> 2NH3 (g)

Example 2:- S2O8^2- (aq) + 2I^1- (ap) ---------Fe^2+ ( Aq) --------> I2 (aq) + 2SO4^2-(aq)
The catalyst reduces the activation energy & provides an alternative pathway for the reaction to occur

REMEMBER THE ABOVE 2 EXAMPLES .. and thats all u have to write ..... no need to further explain about the state of the catalyst as it clearly shown in the balanced equation .........

Reaction score
33) Valence shell electron pair repulsion theory should be used to answer this question. Which species are trigonal planar?
1 BH3
2 CH3+
3 PH3

the answer is B (1 and 2 only are correct)
can someone please explain how to use the Valence shell electron pair repulsion theory to answer this? i don't get it!
:(
Solids W, X, Y and Z are compounds of two different Group II metals. Some of their applications are described below.
Compound W is used as a refractory lining material in kilns.
Compound X is used as a building material. It can also be heated in a kiln to form compound Y. When Y is hydrated, it forms compound Z which is used agriculturally to treat soils. Which statements about these compounds are correct?
1 More acid is neutralized by 1 g of W than by 1 g of X.
2 The metallic element in W reacts with water more quickly than the metallic element in Y.
3 Adding Z to a soil decreases the pH of the soil.

the answer is D (1 only is correct)
and here too please, i get that W is probably MgO, X is probably CaCO3, Y may be CaO and Z most likely Ca(OH)2. i know that 2 and 3 are wrong, but please explain why 1 is correct, thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Reaction score
33) Valence shell electron pair repulsion theory should be used to answer this question. Which species are trigonal planar?
1 BH3
2 CH3+
3 PH3

the answer is B (1 and 2 only are correct)
can someone please explain how to use the Valence shell electron pair repulsion theory to answer this? i don't get it!
:(
Solids W, X, Y and Z are compounds of two different Group II metals. Some of their applications are described below.
Compound W is used as a refractory lining material in kilns.
Compound X is used as a building material. It can also be heated in a kiln to form compound Y. When Y is hydrated, it forms compound Z which is used agriculturally to treat soils. Which statements about these compounds are correct?
1 More acid is neutralized by 1 g of W than by 1 g of X.
2 The metallic element in W reacts with water more quickly than the metallic element in Y.
3 Adding Z to a soil decreases the pH of the soil.

the answer is D (1 only is correct)
and here too please, i get that W is probably MgO, X is probably CaCO3, Y may be CaO and Z most likely Ca(OH)2. i know that 2 and 3 are wrong, but please explain why 1 is correct, thanks in advance!

VSEPR in simple terms states hat LP-LP repulsion> BP-LP repulsion > BP-BP repulsion.
And such repulsion will to an extent, determine molecular shapes.
All you have to do is follow the usual method of figuring out the number of lone pairs and bond pairs in a molecule to determine the shape.

1. 3 BP, 0 LP
2. 3 BP , 0 LP
3. 3 BP, 1 LP (trigonal pyramidal)

1g of MgO = 1/40 moles of MgO
1g of CaCO3 = 1/100 moles of CaCO3

Using HCl as example
MgO + 2HCl --> MgCl2 + H2O (HCl neutralised = 1/20 mol)
CaCO3 + 2HCl --> CaCl2 + CO2 + H2O (HCl neutralised = 1/50 mol)

Reaction score
VSEPR in simple terms states hat LP-LP repulsion> BP-LP repulsion > BP-BP repulsion.
And such repulsion will to an extent, determine molecular shapes.
All you have to do is follow the usual method of figuring out the number of lone pairs and bond pairs in a molecule to determine the shape.

1. 3 BP, 0 LP
2. 3 BP , 0 LP
3. 3 BP, 1 LP (trigonal pyramidal)

1g of MgO = 1/40 moles of MgO
1g of CaCO3 = 1/100 moles of CaCO3

Using HCl as example
MgO + 2HCl --> MgCl2 + H2O (HCl neutralised = 1/20 mol)
CaCO3 + 2HCl --> CaCl2 + CO2 + H2O (HCl neutralised = 1/50 mol)
Thank you so much! really helped me! :) :)