• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
During the electrolysis of molten aluminium oxide to produce aluminium, using carbon electrodes,
two consecutive reactions occur at the anode, each producing a different gas.
How does the oxidation number of oxygen change in these reactions?

A decreases by 2, then increases by 2
B increases by 2, then decreases by 2
C increases by 2, then decreases by 4
D no change, then decreases by 2

A Because the two consecutive reactions in anode could possibly be:
1. 2C + O2 -> 2CO
2. 2CO + O2 -> 2CO2
The oxidation state of O2 in CO is -2
And oxidation state of O2 in CO2 is -4

It is a pretty confusing question, considering decreases as subtraction and increases as addition, Else it is easy.

Reaction score
Can someone explain this question for me? How to deduce the answer for such questions? (Answer = B)

Attachments

• Chemistry 1.png
    Chemistry 1.png
    14.7 KB · Views: 6
Reaction score
View attachment 49941
so is it correct if i do the sum lyk this

n=(120*10^-3)/24
=5*10^-3

(5*10^-3)=0.23/mr
mr=46

(14*1)+(16*2)=46

am i ryt or is there a diff way 2 get it done?

Yes their is :)

You can also find the correct ans by elimination method ( checking options by putting the value of x and y in NxOy)

In short Answer is B

NO2

Mr - 46

You have mass 0.23 g
put that in n=mass/mr
you will get moles , multiply it with 24000 and the volume will be 120 cm3 :) Hope you got it.

Reaction score
Can someone explain this question for me? How to deduce the answer for such questions? (Answer = B)

Answer is A .
I seriously need to get a stylus :p
Screenshot_33.png

See..
You know that group no in periodic table represents the no of valence electron. so X+ shows group 1 , X3+ shows group 3 such as
so Just find the difference between two ionization energy and compare
You can see that the first one is 510 but the second one is way too high 3800. If energy shows slight increase it is in the same shell but second ionization energy (3800) shows it is in an another shell...
I.E always start by pulling the valence electrons.. and 510 shows its the valence shell with 1 electron so it is fact that it is in GROUP 1 :)

Reaction score
Can someone please explain these two questions as soon as possible?

Attachments

• Chemistry 2.png
    Chemistry 2.png
    39.9 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
Please someone explain me this statement of the bronsted-lowry theory
"A weak acid forms a strong conjugate base and vice versa. Similarly,a weak base generates a strong conjugate acid and viceversa" why this is so??? what is the purpose of equilibrium constant?? What would happen if the equilibrium constant is independent of the temperature???
Answer plzz...:(

Last edited:
Reaction score
Is there any book for Chemistry paper 5 (Planning Analysis And Evaluation) where I can get helps, (like planning techniques, suggestions and paper 5 related contents)??
If there then please tell me the name of the book as well as the writer.
Thanks In Advance

Reaction score
In an experiment, 50.0 cm3 of a 0.10 mol dm–3 solution of a metallic salt reacted exactly with
25.0cm3 of 0.10moldm–3 aqueous sodium sulphite. The half-equation for oxidation of sulphite ion is shown below.
SO3^2− (aq) + H2O(I) → SO4^2− (aq) + 2H+(aq) + 2e–
If the original oxidation number of the metal in the salt was +3, what would be the new oxidation
number of the metal?

Reaction score
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/...d AS Level/Chemistry (9701)/9701_s05_qp_1.pdf

Q34, Why B and not C Explain? ,
I chose C, because from the graph the reaction still seems to be going on, and it did reach equilibrium, that why i P is not necessary less, it could be.
Of course the reaction is proceeding at a lower rate
And since the reaction couldn't attain equilibrium it could be because the products are being S continuously removed.

Reaction score
hey guys,
could someone please help me to get easy detailed notes for all the A LEVEL chapters. if with questions, well appreciated.
thank you :)
PLEASE URGENT HELP NEEDED! >_<

Reaction score
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Chemistry (9701)/9701_s05_qp_1.pdf

Q34, Why B and not C Explain? ,
I chose C, because from the graph the reaction still seems to be going on, and it did reach equilibrium, that why i P is not necessary less, it could be.
Of course the reaction is proceeding at a lower rate
And since the reaction couldn't attain equilibrium it could be because the products are being S continuously removed.

Um! bro

This is what I think after thinking about it.

Experiment 1, shows a curve with decreasing rate until the curve becomes flat (and reaches equilibrium)
so if we look at the options available... Lets take 1) removing P . Well it can be because if you remove an amount of P (from reactant side) , so according to Le Chatlier the equilibrium is disturbed and it would oppose the change so in result the reaction would favor the left hand side (reactant side) because less concentration on reactant so to balance the rate back up , product would convert back to reactant to equalize the concentration.
Screenshot_36.png

I just dont know how experiment 2 makes sense with Catalyst :confused::confused:
3 seems to get along with Ex 2 but...

I have posted this question on a chemistry forum. *waiting for someone to reply*

Reaction score
Um! bro

This is what I think after thinking about it.

Experiment 1, shows a curve with decreasing rate until the curve becomes flat (and reaches equilibrium)
so if we look at the options available... Lets take 1) removing P . Well it can be because if you remove an amount of P (from reactant side) , so according to Le Chatlier the equilibrium is disturbed and it would oppose the change so in result the reaction would favor the left hand side (reactant side) because less concentration on reactant so to balance the rate back up , product would convert back to reactant to equalize the concentration.
View attachment 50272

I just dont know how experiment 2 makes sense with Catalyst :confused::confused:
3 seems to get along with Ex 2 but...

I have posted this question on a chemistry forum. *waiting for someone to reply*

Statement 1: (TRUE) Less P means less concentration of reactants, so slower rate of production of S and R.
Statement 2: (TRUE) A different catalyst in expt 2 might lower the activation energy to a lesser extent than expt 1, so the rate of achieving eqm and production of S and R is slower.
Statement 3: (FALSE) If S is being removed, the eqm would shift to the right to produce the products (S and R) at a faster rate.