• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Yes, you can simplify it in that way.

Answer is B.
thankyou
Q: whats the difference between methylbenzene and benzene reactions? For As level only
btw, see A and B give these products and none of them seems to be like the desired one to me:(

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
Reaction score
thankyou
Q: whats the difference between methylbenzene and benzene reactions? For As level only
btw, see A and B give these products and none of them seems to be like the desired one to me:(

There are errors in your drawings (which is why it is important for me to see them rather then provide the answer straightaway).
Screen Shot 2015-01-18 at 4.38.12 PM.png

This will explain why B is the answer.
Screen Shot 2015-01-18 at 4.55.08 PM.png

Reaction score
Form an equation between the Kc and the respective concentrations,then solve for the concentration of HI
View attachment 50295

Thank you again!! Can you help me with another one please?

May june 2014 P12 Q4
Hydrogen and carbon dioxide gases are mixed in equal molar amounts at 800 K. A reversible

reaction takes place.

H2(g) + CO2(g) H2O(g) + CO(g)

At equilibrium, the partial pressures of H2 and CO2 are both 10.0 kPa. Kp is 0.288 at 800 K.

What is the partial pressure of CO in the equilibrium mixture?

A 5.37 kPa B 18.6 kPa C 28.8 kPa D 347 kPa

Reaction score
Thank you again!! Can you help me with another one please?

May june 2014 P12 Q4
Hydrogen and carbon dioxide gases are mixed in equal molar amounts at 800 K. A reversible

reaction takes place.

H2(g) + CO2(g) H2O(g) + CO(g)

At equilibrium, the partial pressures of H2 and CO2 are both 10.0 kPa. Kp is 0.288 at 800 K.

What is the partial pressure of CO in the equilibrium mixture?

A 5.37 kPa B 18.6 kPa C 28.8 kPa D 347 kPa

Try using the method shown in the previous question and express the Kp in terms of the equilibrium concentrations. Let the unknown pressure of CO be x.
Post what you have after that and I'll guide you from there if you're still stuck.

Edited: Changed "moles of CO" to "pressure of CO"

Last edited:
Reaction score
Try using the method shown in the previous question and express the Kp in terms of the equilibrium concentrations. Let the unknown moles of CO be x.
Post what you have after that and I'll guide you from there if you're still stuck.
So
20/0.288 = p(H20) + p (CO)
and then i don't understand, it doesn't give me nothing for h20 and is the p(co) 1/4 x Tp? what is the Tp??

Reaction score
So
20/0.288 = p(H20) + p (CO)
and then i don't understand, it doesn't give me nothing for h20 and is the p(co) 1/4 x Tp? what is the Tp??

I made a typo in the previous message, the unknown x is for partial pressure (not moles) of CO.

Screen Shot 2015-01-18 at 11.15.18 PM.png

solve for x...

Reaction score
Hi,
Can anyone help me out with the following questions:)The marking scheme is also given.

Thank you,

Attachments

• chem doubts ch 10 11 12.docx
    561.1 KB · Views: 17
Reaction score
Right thankyou
btw can u tell me the difference in the reaction of benzene and methyl benzene with br2
The reaction with bromine

The reaction between benzene and bromine takes place with the help of a catalyst such as AlBr3 (if you are reacting with Cl2 then the catalyst will be AlCl3)
bromobenzene_equation.jpg

padding.gif
Methyl groups are 2,4-directing, which means that incoming groups will tend to go into the 2 or 4 positions on the ring.
bromine_reacts_with_aqueous_phenol.jpg

OH and CH3 are electron releasing (electron withdrawing) groups, this means that they are 2 ,4 directing group. As in the above diagram the Br2 is in excess so it will take all 3 positions : 2,4,6. If in limited quantity then it will occupy only 2 position.

See the Untitled.png which i have attached. Once you have gone through it you wont have any problem regarding positioning of atoms/molecules e.g Br2 etc

Hope this helps. :)(y)

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    642.9 KB · Views: 10