• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Can someone please answer and explain each part? I'm still not understanding how to use equations in relation to moles.

ii) moles of KOH used = vol. of KOH solution x conc. of KOH solution = 0.01 dm^3 x 2 mol dm^-3 = 0.02 mol

iii) from equation
mol of Al : mol of KOH
2 : 2

Therefore, 0.02 mol of KOH would react with 0.02 mol of Al.

iii) mass of Al reacted = moles of Al x Ar of Al = 0.02 x 27 = 0.54 g

Reaction score
Can somebody please help me with these MCQ's:
nov 04
question 34 : Why isn't 1 correct too? The tips represent Noble gases right? and Group 8 can be called Group 0, no?
May 05
Question 3 : Why isn't it D? ( answer is C)
Question 14
Nov 05
Q3 , 14

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm looking for some summary sorta notes for the last 3 Alevels chapters that are:

-> chemistry of life
-> Application of analytic chemistry
-> Design and material
I'm mostly weak in the section B of paper 4
It'd be of great appreciation to get any help :)
Thank you :)

Reaction score
Can somebody please help me with these MCQ's:
nov 04
question 34 : Why isn't 1 correct too? The tips represent Noble gases right? and Group 8 can be called Group 0, no?
May 05
Question 3 : Why isn't it D? ( answer is C)
Question 14
Nov 05
Q3 , 14

Nov 04
Qn 34: The marking scheme says all statements are correct. So statement 1 is also correct.

May 05
Qn 3: Element in D belongs to Group V (the huge increase in IE is from the 5th to the 6th IE)

Qn14: Reactivity of Group II metals increases down the group , calcium is more reactive than magnesium.

Reaction score
Thankyou, would you please explain Q13 of May June 05 and those of Nov 05 too?

Nov 05.
Qn3. The easiest way is first figure out the respective elements in the four options, then refer to the 2nd IEs in IE table in the data booklet.

A. Mg (compare its 2nd IE to Na and Al)
B. Al (compare its 2nd IE to Mg and Si)
C. Si (compare its 2nd IE to Al and P)
D. P (compare its 2nd IE to Si and S)

Screen Shot 2014-10-19 at 12.49.58 PM.png

You can see that Al has a higher 2nd IE compared to its neighbours Mg and Si.

Qn 14. Again, use the data booklet.
"Element Y has the highest first ionisation energy " means that we can eliminate options B and C, leaving us with option A and D.
" Element Y has lowest melting point." means we can eliminate A (as sodium has a lower melting point than magnesium).
So we are left with D.
P has a lower melting point than Si (giant molecular structure) and S (stronger VDW forces)

A sodium, magnesium, aluminium
B magnesium, aluminium, silicon
C aluminium, silicon, phosphorus
D silicon, phosphorus, sulphur

May 05
Qn 13: Be and Al has similar electronegativity, this is the diagonal relation in the Periodic Table.
You can read a discussion on it in the paragraph "what is a diagonal relationship" in this link.
Other pairings are Li and Mg, B and Si.