• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
ok guyz please naoh reatcs with carboxylic acids but not alcohol right ok naoh reats with carboxylic acid then how many moles of na will be formed in carbxylate ion

Reaction score
is the answer B? if so then it means reaction 1 is endo as it requires heat to decompose calcium carbonate, and reaction 2 is exo in nature as hydration is always exo
Yes it is B, but isn't reaction 2 a reaction enthalpy of a solution and can you please give me the definition of enthalpy of hydration.

The enthalpy change of solution is the enthalpy change when 1 mole of an ionic substance dissolves in water to give a solution of infinite dilution.

Reaction score
21 An organic compound J reacts with sodium to produce an organic ion with a charge of –3.
J reacts with NaOH(aq) to produce an organic ion with a charge of –1.

What could be the structural formula of J?
A HO2CCH(OH)CH2CO2H
B HO2CCH(OH)CH2CHO
C HOCH2CH(OH)CH2CO2H
D HOCH2COCH2CHO

Reaction score
is the answer B? if so then it means reaction 1 is endo as it requires heat to decompose calcium carbonate, and reaction 2 is exo in nature as hydration is always exo
The enthalpy change of solution is the enthalpy change when 1 mole of an ionic substance dissolves in water to give a solution of infinite dilution.

Reaction score
Yes it is B, but isn't reaction 2 a reaction enthalpy of a solution and can you please give me the definition of enthalpy of hydration.

The heat energy released when new bonds are made between the ions and water molecules is known as the hydration enthalpy of the ion.

The hydration enthalpy is the enthalpy change when 1 mole of gaseous ions dissolve in sufficient water to give an infinitely dilute solution. Hydration enthalpies are always negative.

Reaction score
The heat energy released when new bonds are made between the ions and water molecules is known as the hydration enthalpy of the ion.

The hydration enthalpy is the enthalpy change when 1 mole of gaseous ions dissolve in sufficient water to give an infinitely dilute solution. Hydration enthalpies are always negative.
and secondly in my opinion , heat of solution is the difference between lattice dissociation enthalpy and hydration enthalpy

Reaction score
and secondly in my opinion , heat of solution is the difference between lattice dissociation enthalpy and hydration enthalpy

This is the definition and in the above case CaO is the ionic substance dissolved in water. Isn't that so?

Reaction score
q 39
74.00g of butan-2-ol → 44.64 g of butanone

Moles of butan -2 -ol =1
moles of butanone= Mass/mr
=44.64/72= 0.62

now in theory 1 mole of butan 2 ol produces 1 mole of butanone.
but we got 0.62 moles of butanone
hence 62 percent yield

Use the same method for the rest of the reactions and you will gt 62 percent yield for all of them.

q 40
(CH3)3CBr + NaOH → (CH3)3COH + NaBr

(CH3)3CBr is a tertiary haloalkane .
It has three R groups attached to the Carbon bonded to the halogen
Only Tertiary haloalkanes undergo SN1 mechanism for nucleophillic substituition.
This is because tertiary haloalkanes have electron donationg methyl groups attached they can form an intermediate and stable carbocation.
The graph has two humps so this means that an intermediate is formed before the reaction proceeds.
2 and 3 are not tertiary haloalkanes so an intermediate is not formed
sometimes two humps also represent sn2 wat to do

Reaction score
GUYSSSS. Gotta help me with this, PLEASEEE. hahahaha
Must be very easy for you guys! :cool:
Anyways, okay.
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/... AS Level/Chemistry (9701)/9701_w13_qp_13.pdf
Q27 (C)

http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/... AS Level/Chemistry (9701)/9701_w13_qp_12.pdf
Q3 (B) Q8 (D) [ i guess all these answers correctly, but i dont understand why ]

http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/... AS Level/Chemistry (9701)/9701_w12_qp_12.pdf
Q11 (A) [srsly no, what is this.]

http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/... AS Level/Chemistry (9701)/9701_w11_qp_12.pdf
Q24 (B) , Q26 (A), Q30 (A)

THANK YOU SO SO MUCHHHHHH!! please help :D