• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
so whenester bond is broken only one hydroxyl group and one cooh group is formed right then na substitutes them to get alkoxide right

Reaction score

An easy, albeit time consuming way to figure these questions out is to simply draw the isomers. You know there's a double bond, so it must show geometric isomerism - cis and trans, that makes 2. But they aren't asking for just geometric isomers, they're asking for all the isomers. Another one would be but-1-ene. So that makes 3. I know this isn't the best way to work it out, but it's better than nothing. :)

The question says 'structural or otherwise' :S I don't know, I could be wrong.

Could you or someone else help me with the questions I posted earlier? Just on the previous page.

but there is a differenc betweeen structural and stereo isomers isnt it :/?

well i think the cis and tra wont be included in this one :/

For this question, all isomers, structural, geometric (cis-trans) and optical (chiral) have to be considered.

Besides the 2-methylpropene the other 3 isomers are as mentioned by MaboroshI_I

Picture 1.png

Its just that for C4H8, there is no chiral carbon, for we need no consider that part.[/quote]

Reaction score
so whenester bond is broken only one hydroxyl group and one cooh group is formed right then na substitutes them to get alkoxide right

ester bond broken by acidic hydrolysis --> alcohol and COOH group
ester bond broken by alkaline hydrolysis --> alcohol and COO- group (carboxylate, not alkoxide)

Reaction score
how many of the compounds shown will react with aqueous sodium hydroxide to form the solution salt of carboxylic acid