• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Oh this question has given me a lot of trouble lately.

I went with (21/1)*(1/9) = 21/9 = 7/3

My explanation was something like 21/1 = ratio of rate of tertiary to primary H. 1/9 = ratio of tertiary to primary H present. Ratio of J/K = 21/1 * 1/9 = 21/9 = 7/3

J= Tertiary Hydrogen replaced.
K= Primary Hydrogen replaced.
ohhhh! thankyouuuu so muchh!

Reaction score
Reaction score
not directly that why i asked him if it was from past papers. You just use it to form compunds after electrophylic addition reactions :3

lol i still have no clue :p

"to calculate the energy produced by the"

You just need to calculate the energy produced in Joules. And Energy itself is a scalar quantity so cannot be negative. You don't have to state the enthalpy over here. And enthalpy has the +/- sign to it to show whether the energy was produced or used up.

Since they have already told you that energy is produced and you need to calculate the amount of energy produced. The Sign doesn't matter only the magnitude does..

Even if you wrote -XX kJ I don't think you'd have been penalised for that. because sign doesn't matter in this question.

Reaction score
Cr2O7 2– + 14H+ + 6e– → 2Cr3+ + 7H2O----Eo = 1.33 V
Cl2 + 2e– → 2 Cl– ---------------------------- Eo = 1.36 V
overall ionic equation:
Cr2O7 2– + 6Cl– + 14H+ → 2Cr3+ + 3Cl2 + 7H2O

But shouldn't one with more negative E0 value be reversed?
This is from w07

Reaction score
Does CH3COOH give positive test in iodoform test? And also CH3CH2OH? there is some confusion because marking scheme gives positive with ethanol but not ethanoic acid

Reaction score
Yes in a sense you can, however the better reason will be that C does not have empty D orbitals. just remember this one line statement it....

No! You can't!! In any sense whatsoever!
The second part. Always. Only.

http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Chemistry (9701)/9701_s04_qp_4.pdf Q2c(i) i get the answer but cant we state the size of carbon atom being smaller than silicon as a valid reason

You can't. Size is immaterial when Carbon has no d orbital so smaller or not, water just can't attack. It's not a matter of steric hindrance only. Thing is, you just can't. You're very right saying the carbon atom is significantly smaller, but even if it's crowded by H2O, there won't be a reaction because there are no d-orbitals present. I really hope you get what I'm trying to say.

i gave the answer .:p :p

Vaooooowwwww yaaar. Kya baat hay. Yeh lo bhai. Yeh trophy aapki hui. You're the best chemist around. Admitted. Now can we go back to 'the help thread' from the 'I know more than you' thread? Seriously guys. It's not a race here!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Does CH3COOH give positive test in iodoform test? And also CH3CH2OH? there is some confusion because marking scheme gives positive with ethanol but not ethanoic acid

Ethanol yes Ethanoic Acid no.

Ethanol has an alcohol group besides a CH3- link so it'll show you a positive test with alkaline iodine.
See ethanol and think 3D. If it still doesn't make sense quote me and tell me I'll draw it out.

Reaction score

Attachments

• as.png
    as.png
    26.4 KB · Views: 6