• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Chemistry (9701)/9701_s12_qp_21.pdf

Q5 b(ii) and (iii) explain why we multiplied by 2 in (i) arent we supposed to divide by 2 ?

we will multiply by two cz the ques asks to write the number of atoms of hydrogen produced , and in one molecule of hydrogen, there are two atoms of H .. so we will multiply by 2 ... and then calculate the moles of X.. number of moles of X = 0.0067 moles.... H atoms= 0.0133 ..
if there is one OH then one H will be produced
and in X.. for 1 mole of X.. two moles of H ztoms are produced
so there are two OH in each molecule of X

Reaction score
How to calculate enthalpies using bond energies
And also can someone explain me the Hess ' s cycle

Reaction score
How to draw this :
PS : As students take care , this might be the question for you this session !!!
upload_2014-5-6_13-57-54.png

Reaction score
can someone show how to draw the skeletal formula of both cis trans isomers of but-2-ene

WHxdDxL.jpg

Reaction score
Ethanol yes Ethanoic Acid no.

Ethanol has an alcohol group besides a CH3- link so it'll show you a positive test with alkaline iodine.
See ethanol and think 3D. If it still doesn't make sense quote me and tell me I'll draw it out.
Doesn't CH3-CO group give positive test in iodoform test. Ethanoic acid involves CH3-CO group.

Reaction score
Doesn't CH3-CO group give positive test in iodoform test. Ethanoic acid involves CH3-CO group.

You're very right that ethanoic acid has a terminal methyl with CO, but the C=O is delocalized here over the entire group. Remember how 2,4 DNPH reacts with carbonyl groups but not carboxylic groups even though all three have at least one C=O? Precisely that principle is applied here.

Reaction score
You're very right that ethanoic acid has a terminal methyl with CO, but the C=O is delocalized here over the entire group. Remember how 2,4 DNPH reacts with carbonyl groups but not carboxylic groups even though all three have at least one C=O? Precisely that principle is applied here.
does I2 and NaOH also behaves as oxidising agent?