• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Reaction score
Aoa wr wb
need some detailed explanation on how to do qn 3 c of this paper pleaseeee

Using the method for electrode potential values, we don't get the answers exactly as the ms says

http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/... AS Level/Chemistry (9701)/9701_s11_qp_42.pdf
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/... AS Level/Chemistry (9701)/9701_s11_ms_42.pdf

PhyZac PANDA-
@everyone else taking A2

JazakAllah khair :)
Waalikum Assalamu Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatoho.

Well, for the cathode it worked perfectly.
Those cation which are less reactive than hydrogen (that is +ve E values) will form, as in Ag, while if not, then hydrogen forms.

Anion din't work with me either. But I always learned the when sulphate is there O2 is formed. Sorry. Rest I am confused too.

Reaction score
Waalikum Assalamu Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatoho.

Well, for the cathode it worked perfectly.
Those cation which are less reactive than hydrogen (that is +ve E values) will form, as in Ag, while if not, then hydrogen forms.

Anion din't work with me either. But I always learned the when sulphate is there O2 is formed. Sorry. Rest I am confused too.
same thing happened to me PhyZac..worked with me perfectly with the cations but not with the anions :S:S

Reaction score
same thing happened to me PhyZac..worked with me perfectly with the cations but not with the anions :S:S

According to the er:

Some candidates confused anode and cathode, but many scored well here. According to Eo
values, oxygen would be liberated at the anode of every solution except MgBr2, and hydrogen
would be evolved at the cathode of every solution except AgF. Some candidates incorrectly gave
the formulae of the ions that would undergo electrode reactions, rather than the products of those
reactions.

It doesn't make sense. Like the anion which has the lowest electrode potential is the easiest to oxidise, right?

Reaction score
Could anyone explain to me what reagents/conditions are used for elimination reactions, and why?
Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Two questions:
Q1. We write 'white fumes' as an observation if HCl is formed. Do we write the same thing for HBr and HI?
Q2. In reactions b/w PCl3 and alcohols/carboxylic acids heat is required, but not for those b/w them and PI3. Is this correct?
Also, does any one have Quick revision notes for Inorganic Chemistry? i just don't get it.. :/

Reaction score
Ihow to make concentration for chemistry paper 5 rate of reaction, i need to vary concentration of HCL ! Please guide me urgent? Thanks

Reaction score
Ihow to make concentration for chemistry paper 5 rate of reaction, i need to vary concentration of HCL ! Please guide me urgent? Thanks
Which question is it?
Generally, to make any concentrations, we use serial dilution.. we add water to the given and make at least five concentrations. But in some mark schemes, they say "Reject/Ignore Serial dilution" so can you tell me which question you're talking about?

Reaction score
Reaction score
actually i didnt get for the 1 d iv
cn u please explain it?didnt get the part thats written in the ms
Start the stopwatch as soon as you start adding HCl in the Na2S2O3. Stir with thermometer occasionally and stop the stop watch as soon as you no longer see the cross on the paper that's placed under the reaction vessel. BUT DON'T START TIMING AFTER MIXING OR STIRRING. time as soon you add the HCl.
This, I'm saying based on my knowledge of what we used to do in the AS practical. The problem I'm facing is that in the previous part, i don't know how to heat the reaction vessel. and, where to place the thermometer. I get the experiment but i just cant get the apparatus right. Can you please upload your diagram for that part?

Reaction score
According to the er:

It doesn't make sense. Like the anion which has the lowest electrode potential is the easiest to oxidise, right?
it is SUPPOSED to be a yes but i don't know i mean "we" don't know why the mark scheme is the opposite of us in this

Reaction score
Reaction score
Does no one know what reagents/conditions are used for elimination reactions, and why?

Asked it twice, no reply |:

Reaction score
Does no one know what reagents/conditions are used for elimination reactions, and why?

Asked it twice, no reply |:

Reagent ..Na(OH) condition dipped in ethanol/heat under reflux .. for haloalkanes
Reagent .. Conc. H2SO4 /Al2O3 catalyst and 170C temperature.. for alcohols

Reaction score
Aoa wr wb
need some detailed explanation on how to do qn 3 c of this paper pleaseeee

Using the method for electrode potential values, we don't get the answers exactly as the ms says

http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/... AS Level/Chemistry (9701)/9701_s11_qp_42.pdf
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/... AS Level/Chemistry (9701)/9701_s11_ms_42.pdf

PhyZac PANDA-
@everyone else taking A2

JazakAllah khair :)

the question says aq. solutions of AgF, FeSO4 and MgBr2:
According to electrode potential values, the answer must be:
AgF
anode: O2
cathode: Ag
FeSO4 But when electrolysing FeSO4, why is SO2 wrong? beacause if you read pg 291 of
anode: SO2 x the chem textbook, you'll see that the OH- ions are discharged off at the anode
cathode: H2 in preference to sulfate ions. so the right answer is O2.

MgBr2 Same with MgBr2: on the same page, it also shows that Br- ions are discharged in preference to
anode: O2 x OH- ions so the right answer is Br2.
cathode: H2

Reaction score
using the other method that i showed u gives all of them correct values but i wonder why they dont give the same values with the potential electrodes if anyone here knows why or u know why then please do tell me because i want to know the reason now too..
look at pg. 291 of your textbooks and my reply to "Soldier..."