• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Are you sure? I thought that
Mg + 2 H2O(l) --> Mg(OH)2 + H2 (slow)
Mg + H2O(g) --> MgO + H2 (fast)

That's correct. But Mg only very slightly hydrolyzes.. so if one writes no reaction or very slow reaction he should get the mark.

Reaction score
from which book have u snapped this
From the older version of the orange one.. right now, we have the orange one right?
yeah, the book that was endorsed by Cambridge two years ago. umm.. wait, i'll post a pic.

Attachments

• DSC05139.JPG
    DSC05139.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 6
Reaction score
CAN YOU TELL ME REACTIONS OF GROUP II AND PERIOD III WITH HCL AND H2O AND THEIR PH AND OBSERVATION IT IS CONFUSING
Don't you use your Chemistry text book? It's pretty clear there; to get rid of the confusion, write the formulas down and make tables the way you would remember. I know, i really hate periodicity and the group 2 and 7 chapter! Whatever happened to the phrase: "The brain is like a sponge".
:/

Reaction score
That's correct. But Mg only very slightly hydrolyzes.. so if one writes no reaction or very slow reaction he should get the mark.
u know a METAL or a NON metal dont hydrolize in water their COMPOUNDS hydrolize so dont mix the two up

Reaction score
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Chemistry (9701)/9701_s11_qp_21.pdf

Q2)d)

Isn't reaction 1 the one where Ca goes to CaCl2? How would a solouble sulfate be an appropriate reagent? Explanation please :)

HAHA ANOTHER ONE! .. atleast i am not alone over here.. I also didn't read the reaction 1 word written in the table when i first read it.. I practically read the table 3-4 times but still didn't find where reaction 1 was.. But a guy on XPF helped me...

http://puu.sh/2NhNW.png

Check the W--> Z reaction.. that's labelled as reaction 1 :) .. Nitrate to Sulfate...

Reaction score
Oh my God. I give in! Can someone please tell me where on earth to we place the thermometer when we're drawing the apparatus in Paper 5, M/J 11 v3 Q1 (c)? (I take my reply to Tkp back- i think i get what he's asking...)

Reaction score
HAHA ANOTHER ONE! .. atleast i am not alone over here.. I also didn't read the reaction 1 word written in the table when i first read it.. I practically read the table 3-4 times but still didn't find where reaction 1 was.. But a guy on XPF helped me...

http://puu.sh/2NhNW.png

Check the W--> Z reaction.. that's labelled as reaction 1 :) .. Nitrate to Sulfate...

Oh wow.. How the he- ?
Laaaaaaame, alteast I'm not alone xD . Thanks btw.

Reaction score
Oh my God. I give in! Can someone please tell me where on earth to we place the thermometer when we're drawing the apparatus in Paper 5, M/J 11 v3 Q1 (c)? (I take my reply to Tkp back- i think i get what he's asking...)
and even if i finally manage to draw the apparatus based on my AS practicals, how do we heat the solution? Can someone please draw a neat diagram?

Reaction score
ok see...

O2/OH^- = 0.4V and F/F^- = 2.87 so OH ion is easier to be oxidized than F^- so O2 will form at the anode..got it ? BUT i don't know why the mark scheme gives a wrong answer to this method with Br not SO4 but for the cations it gives all the answers right..do u solve it that way too?

exactly, that's my confusion, using the same method with Br gives a diff answer :/ :(

Reaction score
exactly, that's my confusion, using the same method with Br gives a diff answer :/ :(
using the other method that i showed u gives all of them correct values but i wonder why they dont give the same values with the potential electrodes if anyone here knows why or u know why then please do tell me because i want to know the reason now too..

Reaction score
What are the reagents/conditions for an elimination reaction and why?

Tkp

Reaction score
the mark scheme says temp of both reagents taken or temp taken immediately after mixing.
What exactly is your question?
actually i didnt get for the 1 d iv
cn u please explain it?didnt get the part thats written in the ms