• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
ta.gif

congrats.gif

congrats.gif
that was awesome!
thank you so much
No problem :p :)

Reaction score
In the infrared spectroscopy question given at the end of the book (the Roger Norris thing) there's a question which asks to state the three distinct points for indentifying the compound or more generally if theres such a question in which there is only one identifiable peak for say OH group and then other complicated peaks occur in the fingerprint region, what could be the three reasons to state?

Reaction score
In the infrared spectroscopy question given at the end of the book (the Roger Norris thing) there's a question which asks to state the three distinct points for indentifying the compound or more generally if theres such a question in which there is only one identifiable peak for say OH group and then other complicated peaks occur in the fingerprint region, what could be the three reasons to state?
Can you please post the picture of that question?

Reaction score
Should I study infrared spectroscopy if im doing A2? can it come in Paper 4 ? (its a new addition to the AS syllabus)

Reaction score

I think because the products of A and C are both carboxylic acids, which have hydrogen bonding between their molecules.
There won't be any reaction for B, cause it's a tertiary alcohol.

The product of D is a ketone, which doesn't have hydrogen bonding between its molecules, leading to a lower boiling point?

I'm sorry if I'm wrong. This is probably the first chemistry question I tried in like months...

Reaction score
I think because the products of A and C are both carboxylic acids, which have hydrogen bonding between their molecules.

The product of D is a ketone, which doesn't have hydrogen bonding between its molecules, leading to a lower boiling point?

I'm sorry if I'm wrong. This is probably the first chemistry question I tried in like months...
you are right about A and C, but actually ketones have higher boiling points, because they have two alkyl groups on either side of their C=O which makes it more stable. which is why I was confused :(
Hasn't it got something to do with branching?
But branched also have lower boiling points

Reaction score

You are right :3

Reaction score

Its correct. :)

Reaction score
you are right about A and C, but actually ketones have higher boiling points, because they have two alkyl groups on either side of their C=O which makes it more stable. which is why I was confused :(
Hasn't it got something to do with branching?
But branched also have lower boiling points

Yeah, but still no hydrogen bonding which is a strong force of attraction leading to increased boiling points. Absence of it would surely lower the boiling point.

And yes, I think straight chain alkanes have HIGHER boiling points cause of more contact point or something... but the comparison here is clearly because of the intermolecular forces of attraction.

Reaction score
Yeah, but still no hydrogen bonding which is a strong force of attraction leading to increased boiling points. Absence of it would surely lower the boiling point.

And yes, I think straight chain alkanes have HIGHER boiling points cause of more contact point or something... but the comparison here is clearly because of the intermolecular forces of attraction.
get that..thank you