• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Q29:- (D) Because Cold one Breaks double Bond and Forms Diol (two OH groups added ) giving two chiral centers. And with Hot KMnO4 it disrupts the double bind completely which causes this compound to lose one chiral center!
What happened by hot KMnO4 exactly ?

Reaction score
Do you have anything like that but for physics?

As a matter of fact, I do.
Gimme a day. I'll gather up all the individual facesheets, merge them and upload them and send you the link.
Or, if you want specific topics, let me know and I'll send you those.

Reaction score
w

hat do you mean by the best yield ?
Best yeild mean produces Only 2-chloropropane, No other Chloropropanes.
A. will give you both monochloro propanes and a bunch of di- and trichloro as well.
B. will give NO REACTION
C. is correct, the desired compound is the sole product.
D. would give more 2-propanol than 2-chloropropane. (if anything)

Reaction score
Cleavage occurs and the double bond is split.

If the side being split is CH2, it forms CO2+H2O. If it's CHR then it forms COOH. If it's CRR' then it forms a Ketone. Get it?
Yeah thanks alot ! .. btw Is it true that the first 5 alkanes are gases !? because It is the first time for me to hear that !

Reaction score
need help in the following paper:
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Chemistry (9701)/9701_s12_qp_12.pdf

Question No:7

with explanations cuz i dont know where to start frm

I will start with D
First write down the equation:-
........................ 2P ------ Q + 2R
Initial Moles= 2 (P) 0(Q) 0(R)
It is given in the question x moles of R at Equilibrium, so we could find moles of Q using Mole ratio.For P since P:R is 2:2=1:1 Then P would be Initial moles - the moles of R at Equilibrium.
Equil Moles= (2-x )(P) ( x/2 ) (Q) ( x)(R)
Total (Add them up) = 2-x+(x/2)+x = (2+x/2) so the ans is D
If u Need further explaination Do tell Me!
Hope i helped! :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
What's CRR'? Can you give a example?

kAe4rvs.jpg

etc.

Two alkyl groups on the same carbon will give you the ketone. The C=C will split and C=O will be formed with the same R groups. If instead of either of the R groups there was a H present, it would've formed carboxylic acid. Same, C=O and the H oxidised to OH.