• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry Paper 6 - Important notes and repeated questions.

Reaction score
Re: Chemistry Paper 6 - Important notes and repeated questio

yea as the above said it turns from black to pink
also salts in water has no effect if the iron isnt touching the water. but if soaked with salty water i believe it fastens it
cobalt oxide with h+ goes from pink to blue i believe i will check and come back,
btw thx alot for ur efforts appreciated

Reaction score

sry i did a mistake , its not when adding oxygen its when applying heat to hydrated cobalt chloride crystal, and the color change is from pink/red ---> blue :)

Reaction score

thanks a lot :D .... but i just don't understand why the substance will burn if the experiment is not carried out in a well-ventilated room

Reaction score

because it will react with O2 and burn and preform it in a fume cupboard :D

Reaction score
Thank You!

I also have some information of my own (sorry if you have already posted it, didnt read the full thing)
1- If you use a spatula to transfer substance X, then X is a solid.
2- If we add solid X to a solution and rapid effervescence occurs, then X acts as a catalyst.
3- all acidic solutions, alkali solutions and organic liquids are colourless.
4- test for organic liquid:put a few drops of the substance on a watch glass and touch it with a lighted splint
result: it catches fire with a clean flame
if we do it with any aqueous solution: the lighted splint will extinguish
5- Salt means X+,Y-
if salt is white: then X+ is a non T.M. ion
if it is coloured: then X+ is a T.M. ion.

Reaction score
I am taking the exam like in 4 days time....and I really need help with like the colors of precipitates etc which are asked...and could someone be kind enough to like tell me like the tests needed for paper 6?like test for oxygen, Co2, Ammonia, Hydrogen, metals, different non metals etc...and all those basic stuff that is needed for paper 6...plz help
Thx in advance :D

Reaction score
pls guides me hoe to learn identifications of cations , anions , table of solubility & other major parts . pls tell the ch. name which r best for Paper 6 .What r the topic range ( chX- Ch. Y)

Reaction score
TESTS:
Water---->Cobalt Chloride----->Blue to Pink.....OR.....Water----->anhydrous Copper Sulphate(white powder)---->turns blue forming hydrated copper sulphate crystals in the presence of water
PURE Water----> check its freezing and boiling point
Hydrogen--->'pops' with a lighted splinter
Oxygen---->relights a glowing splint
Carbon dioxide---->turns limewater milky
Chlorine---->turns moist blue litmus paper red then 'bleaches' it
Ammonia---->turns moist red litmus paper blue
Sulphur dioxide---->turns acidified potassium dichromate VI from yellow to green

SALTS:
all nitrates are soluble
all chlorides are soluble (except silver chloride, lead chloride(soluble in hot water) and mercury chloride)
all sulphates are soluble (except barium sulphate, lead sulphate and calcium sulphate)
all carbonates are INSOLUBLE(except sodium carbonate, potassium carbonate and ammonium carbonate)
:)
BEST OF LUCK GUYZZ!!
DO PRAY FOR ME!! :)

Reaction score
Im doin mine after tomorrow as well....hope I get an A....could someone like list the repeated questions with answers and like the key points in chemistry practical in like a list?
Thx