• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry Paper 4-theory- doubts =D

Reaction score
There is no specific transition ions that you need to know about that H2O form ligands with.

The most common ones you'll come across are --->
[Fe(H2O)6]^2+ and this can go on to a ligands exchange/ replacement. If, for example, you add concentrated ammonia solution, you'll get [Fe(H2O)2(NH3)4]^2+ and this happens because this complex is more stable than the first one.

Another common one is copper ions. [Cu(H20)6]^2+ ----> this is when there are Cu^2+ ions in solution. This complex gives a pale blue colour.
If sodium hydroxide is added, a blue ppt is formed of Cu(OH)2(H2O)4 is formed.
On adding conc. ammonia solution, you get [Cu(H2O)2(NH3)4]^2+ and this complex is dark blue.

Let's start with [Cu(H20)6]^2+ again. This is, again, blue. Adding conc. hydrochloric acid gives the complex [CuCl4]^2+ which is yellow solution. Notice that the no. of ligands reduces from 6 to 4 and this is because the chloride ions are bigger in size than the H2O molecules.
Hope this was what you were looking for. :)
Jazak Allah Khair! I knew all those Cu reacns but now, after u explained, everything seems so Clear! :D :D

Reaction score
Well the Saudis and the Egyptions haven't had there paper yet...so please only reply to Freaked out if it was good..if not then...go enjoy the fact that u won't be facing chemistry as shitty as this ever in your lives:p:p

and for those who are still going to give it: Good Luck:)

Reaction score
i HAD V1:cautious:
it was the stupidest thing that ever happened to me..
How did you find the paper?
A couple of tricky things but not too bad I think... Inshallah it went well
And on the bright side, FREE OF CHEM
(at least until uni sigh)

Reaction score
:cautious: That's cz ur one of those "Chem-loving" geeks.....

Oh the inner peace i feel when i think of NO MORE CHEM!!!! Wow!!
nope,i guess its coz someone people were well prepared for this kind of paper,unlike me and you...no energetics,no nmr,shitty rate questions,and dumb organic,where could we even score?!

Reaction score
nope,i guess its coz someone people were well prepared for this kind of paper,unlike me and you...no energetics,no nmr,shitty rate questions,and dumb organic,where could we even score?!

Bro even i had Maths P3 and chem P4 on the same day like you... my mathe paper went bad on the last few questions... :p

Reaction score

and Yeah i studied for NMR like hell, and it didn't even come, instead some rate equation came which i dont even know, but luckily everything else was soo good... :p :)