• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry Paper 4-theory- doubts =D

Reaction score
For a relative rate of 1.00, you need

0.20 CH3CHO
0.10 CH3OH
0.05 H+

Now they want you to predict the rate when all of them have a concentration of 0.20.

The first one is already 0.20 so leave that.
For the second one you need to 2x the concentration to get 0.20, so the rate becomes 2x.
FOr the third one you need to 4x the concentration to get 0.20, so the rate becomes 4x.

In total its 2 * 4 = 8 times the initial rate.

Reaction score
For a relative rate of 1.00, you need

0.20 CH3CHO
0.10 CH3OH
0.05 H+

Now they want you to predict the rate when all of them have a concentration of 0.20.

The first one is already 0.20 so leave that.
For the second one you need to 2x the concentration to get 0.20, so the rate becomes 2x.
FOr the third one you need to 4x the concentration to get 0.20, so the rate becomes 4x.

In total its 2 * 4 = 8 times the initial rate.
Thanks!
Cheers

Reaction score
lol dont say sorry
overload the questions on me:p i would love that
look due to other functional groups the 2 4 (and 6) position of ring is activated so u don't need any further reagants to Bromonize rings
ok sure :p JazakAllah for the reply :)

Reaction score
If you know the first 2 reactants are 1, then compare equations 1 and 4:

CH3CHO stays the same, so ignore that.
CH3OH increases by 1.6, so the rate also increases by 1.6. So the new rate will be 1.6.

Now see H+,
H+ concentration doubles and the rate changed from 1.6 to 3.2 (also doubled). What does this imply? H+ has an order of 1.

Reaction score
Sorry i w

as solving another ppr so took longer. Hey it's gon be the same as for Cl2
Sn+2I2---> SnI4
Yeah this is what I don't get.. I mean this is what I did:

I2/I- system is +0.54V and Sn2+/Sn4+ is +0.15, tin gets oxidised to Sn4+ by I2, so can't you just write:

I2 + Sn2+ -> 2I- + Sn4+

Like you normally do in redox equations?

Reaction score
If you know the first 2 reactants are 1, then compare equations 1 and 4:

CH3CHO stays the same, so ignore that.
CH3OH increases by 1.6, so the rate also increases by 1.6. So the new rate will be 1.6.

Now see H+,
H+ concentration doubles and the rate changed from 1.6 to 3.2 (also doubled). What does this imply? H+ has an order of 1.
Oh so we consider the new rate!?
Thanks a load!! :D

Reaction score
Yeah this is what I don't get.. I mean this is what I did:

I2/I- system is +0.54V and Sn2+/Sn4+ is +0.15, tin gets oxidised to Sn4+ by I2, so can't you just write:

I2 + Sn2+ -> 2I- + Sn4+

Like you normally do in redox equations?
what u r writing isn't wrong, u r just writing an ionic eqn, but they didnt ask u to write ionic. they asked for a simple one. :)

Reaction score
Reaction score
Can u gimme a few more examples for a) metal ions in which H2O is imp b) for which it aint imp.

Jazak Allah Khair! :)
There is no specific transition ions that you need to know about that H2O form ligands with.

The most common ones you'll come across are --->
[Fe(H2O)6]^2+ and this can go on to a ligands exchange/ replacement. If, for example, you add concentrated ammonia solution, you'll get [Fe(H2O)2(NH3)4]^2+ and this happens because this complex is more stable than the first one.

Another common one is copper ions. [Cu(H20)6]^2+ ----> this is when there are Cu^2+ ions in solution. This complex gives a pale blue colour.
If sodium hydroxide is added, a blue ppt is formed of Cu(OH)2(H2O)4 is formed.
On adding conc. ammonia solution, you get [Cu(H2O)2(NH3)4]^2+ and this complex is dark blue.

Let's start with [Cu(H20)6]^2+ again. This is, again, blue. Adding conc. hydrochloric acid gives the complex [CuCl4]^2+ which is yellow solution. Notice that the no. of ligands reduces from 6 to 4 and this is because the chloride ions are bigger in size than the H2O molecules.
Hope this was what you were looking for. :)