• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry Paper 4-theory- doubts =D

Reaction score
just memorize it i think it has a difficult way to find the ratio and we r not doing a math exam to be asked how to find their ratios..that would be a stupid question from the examiner

Well said!!! I will stick to memorizing!

Reaction score
okay means koi logic nahi hai, just have to learn it Right(y)
a key point for mass spectrometry
if M and M+2 peaks are in ratio of 3:1 means chlorine is present
if M and M+2 peaks heights are in ratio of 1:1 than Bromine is in mixture (only one bromine)

Reaction score
Can u like tell me the second step? as in when it says, sin45=real p/ 2(1+2^1/2)=1/2^1/2 ?? :S
See.
Sin 45 [since 45 is then angle]
sin = opp/hyp
opp is the real of P the x coordinate of P
hyp is OP

And what is written is

Sin 45 = real p/2(1+√2)
1/√2 = real p /2(1+√2)
real p = 2(1+√2) /1/√2

Reaction score
a key point for mass spectrometry
if M and M+2 peaks are in ratio of 3:1 means chlorine is present
if M and M+2 peaks heights are in ratio of 1:1 than Bromine is in mixture (only one bromine)

is it going to be written in q that the ratio is this?????

Reaction score
[Fe(H2O)6-n(NO2)n]^2+ (n=1 to 6) how do we get this?

Q3 (D) why is that ketone getting reduced to -OH using Ni? ! o_O M/J 2012 p41
For the first question,
[Fe(H2O)6-n(NO2)n]^2+ (n=1 to 6) -----> simply means that if you have 2 NO2 ligands with Fe, then the H2O ligands will be 6-n = 6-2 = 4 H2O ligands. and the formula becomes ----> [Fe(H2O)4(NO2)2]^2+
n can be any number from 1 to 6, because Fe can only have a maximum of 6 ligands attached. There is a +2 charge on the entire complex because of the +2 charge on Fe - they don't exactly form a compound, it's a complex with dative bonds and the ligands donating a pair of electrons. Hope it's clear.

Reaction score
For the first question,
[Fe(H2O)6-n(NO2)n]^2+ (n=1 to 6) -----> simply means that if you have 2 NO2 ligands with Fe, then the H2O ligands will be 6-n = 6-2 = 4 H2O ligands. and the formula becomes ----> [Fe(H2O)4(NO2)2]^2+
n can be any number from 1 to 6, because Fe can only have a maximum of 6 ligands attached. There is a +2 charge on the entire complex because of the +2 charge on Fe - they don't exactly form a compound, it's a complex with dative bonds and the ligands donating a pair of electrons. Hope it's clear.
ohhh...thanks i just realised my mistake...i was taking 'Fe' atom instead of ion so it cd only accommodate 4 ligands. Okay so is it necessary to include H2O whn such ques r asked or depends on....?! :)
Thanks a ton! Stay blessed! :D

Reaction score
ohhh...thanks i just realised my mistake...i was taking 'Fe' atom instead of ion so it cd only accommodate 4 ligands. Okay so is it necessary to include H2O whn such ques r asked or depends on....?! :)
Thanks a ton! Stay blessed! :D
Yes, with Fe, H2O ligands are important to include. :)