• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

CHEMISTRY AS P33 PRACTICAL MAY 8 2014

Reaction score
what I have been told is that for the titration, we will have to mix sulpheric acid and ammonia together and then titre KMnO4, the trick is that the colour change happens twice, once from colourless to green then from green to brown. I am 100% sure this is the practical 33.
for cations and anions, focus on carbonates, Iodide, Bromide, Chloride, Nitrate and Nitrite, Sulphate, Copper II, Lead II.
Anyone can upload a list of calculations that we can use?
isnt Kmno4 purple?

Reaction score
what I have been told is that for the titration, we will have to mix sulpheric acid and ammonia together and then titre KMnO4, the trick is that the colour change happens twice, once from colourless to green then from green to brown. I am 100% sure this is the practical 33.
for cations and anions, focus on carbonates, Iodide, Bromide, Chloride, Nitrate and Nitrite, Sulphate, Copper II, Lead II.
so the titration value should b taken whem it turns brown??

Reaction score
But Kmno4 colour change from purple to colourless?

Reaction score
Guys how different does the rough titration have to be from the final titration results? Like if rough titration is 20.5 should the final proper titration he around 20.4 or 20.5

Reaction score
can somebody plzz tell me some tips on tests for gases and some people told me you atually dont have to test for it is this true?

Reaction score
I have been told that the reagent for titration is ammonium iron(II) sulphate (refer to titration of mayjune 2007 paper32) We titrate that against KMnO4. For enthalpy reagents are Mg and H2SO4 . Cations for salt analysis are NH4+, Mn2+, Fe2+, Fe3+ and anions are SO42- and Cl-
This is what the lab assistant has predicted so we can't be a 100% certain.

Reaction score
I have been told that the reagent for titration is ammonium iron(II) sulphate (refer to titration of mayjune 2007 paper32) We titrate that against KMnO4. For enthalpy reagents are Mg and H2SO4 . Cations for salt analysis are NH4+, Mn2+, Fe2+, Fe3+ and anions are SO42- and Cl-
M talking abt varient 33 btw.....

Reaction score
Oh my gosh i can't believe it but most of this was correct!!

Reaction score

You are right :O I wish I saw this before :( I didn't write Mn2 and NH4 :(