• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

CAREER COUNSELLING

Reaction score
Contrary to what you've just said, Chemical Engineering is actually very Chemistry based. This is one of the fields which is very close to the pure sciences. Most people think that classes like Material and Energy balances as well as Process Thermodynamics are Physics based, but in reality, these are very close to chemistry, intertwined with physics.

compared to what a chemist studies very little, that is what people who have done Chm Eng have told me, foreign university students not Paki university students... in Paki universities the variety in courses being taught is very limited so that could be a factor ... the emphasis and application is different in Chem Engin as they told me... generally, at-least in my day the perception of A-level students was that Chm Eng will be loaded with chemistry ... but then again in foreign universities there are many different courses so i guess apart from studying the basic chemistry you can then choose whether you want to study more chem or less .... just look at the MIT open course ware and then decide yourself .. there are tons of other resources out there

Reaction score
compared to what a chemist studies very little, that is what people who have done Chm Eng have told me, foreign university students not Paki university students... in Paki universities the variety in courses being taught is very limited so that could be a factor ... the emphasis and application is different in Chem Engin as they told me... generally, at-least in my day the perception of A-level students was that Chm Eng will be loaded with chemistry ... but then again in foreign universities there are many different courses so i guess apart from studying the basic chemistry you can then choose whether you want to study more chem or less .... just look at the MIT open course ware and then decide yourself .. there are tons of other resources out there
I don't need to open MIT OCW, I already know. Plus, my uncle's a ChemE.
Most people fail to realize that ChemE takes another stance on Chemistry (not talking about Pakistan here, I don't know anything about ChemE there).
Anyway, you can't compare ChemE to what Chemists study. The same thing can be said to Mechanical Engineers, we can compare them to Physicists, Biological Engineers to Biologists, Electrical Engineers to Electronics.
The emphasis is highly different, in a way of speaking, it is Physical Chemistry oriented.
But if you want to see MIT OCW, keep in mind that each university teaches everything in a different way, they will use Chemistry to implement the concepts.
upload_2014-12-14_8-43-21.png

All energy conversion topics are Thermodynamics, which again, is a fundamental part of Chemistry.
According to the UIUC ChemE page: "Chemical engineering differs from chemistry in that chemical engineers produce products on a large scale, so that they are affordable and available to as many consumers as possible. In this way, chemical engineering emphasizes fundamentals required to design, optimize and operate chemical processes as safely and efficiently as possible."

Reaction score
I don't need to open MIT OCW, I already know. Plus, my uncle's a ChemE.
Most people fail to realize that ChemE takes another stance on Chemistry (not talking about Pakistan here, I don't know anything about ChemE there).
Anyway, you can't compare ChemE to what Chemists study. The same thing can be said to Mechanical Engineers, we can compare them to Physicists, Biological Engineers to Biologists, Electrical Engineers to Electronics.
The emphasis is highly different, in a way of speaking, it is Physical Chemistry oriented.
But if you want to see MIT OCW, keep in mind that each university teaches everything in a different way, they will use Chemistry to implement the concepts.
View attachment 49713

All energy conversion topics are Thermodynamics, which again, is a fundamental part of Chemistry.
According to the UIUC ChemE page: "Chemical engineering differs from chemistry in that chemical engineers produce products on a large scale, so that they are affordable and available to as many consumers as possible. In this way, chemical engineering emphasizes fundamentals required to design, optimize and operate chemical processes as safely and efficiently as possible."

I did not mean that 'YOU specifically go and check MIT OpenCourseWare' .. i meant just anyone in general who wants to know more, since MIT OCW is a reliable source even if it is just one resource ... I just pass on information like always and yes I forget and probably even misunderstand things at times .. my message to everyone usually remains the same: do your own research and stop relying just on me or anyone else at this forum entirely, go directly to the source

and as far as the focus on chem in Chem-Eng being different I did state that in my previous msg though less elegantly... again here notice that i am saying this assuming that you are trying to correct me or point out an error on my part ..but then again you stated "Most people fail to realize that ChemE takes a...." so i will include myself in most people since I am not so special.

so why not just start a thread on Chem Engr if you have not done so already or just post the links of all the threads that you have posted on regarding Chem Engr if you have not done so already.. one solid piece of info would be better for others rather than random discussions with individuals/people who know less than you do ...

don't start a dispute, contribute
damn i can rhyme
like it's a crime

Reaction score
I did not mean that 'YOU specifically go and check MIT OpenCourseWare' .. i meant just anyone in general who wants to know more, since MIT OCW is a reliable source even if it is just one resource ... I just pass on information like always and yes I forget and probably even misunderstand things at times .. my message to everyone usually remains the same: do your own research and stop relying just on me or anyone else at this forum entirely, go directly to the source

and as far as the focus on chem in Chem-Eng being different I did state that in my previous msg though less elegantly... again here notice that i am saying this assuming that you are trying to correct me or point out an error on my part ..but then again you stated "Most people fail to realize that ChemE takes a...." so i will include myself in most people since I am not so special.

so why not just start a thread on Chem Engr if you have not done so already or just post the links of all the threads that you have posted on regarding Chem Engr if you have not done so already.. one solid piece of info would be better for others rather than random discussions with individuals/people who know less than you do ...

don't start a dispute, contribute
damn i can rhyme
like it's a crime
Not starting a fight, just trying to shed some light through the use of this website. I agree with you, whatever you say rings true, and a fight is not due. See, I can rhyme too!
Anyway, all rhyming aside, when I say most people, I mean college ranking websites. Chemical Engineering is a very diverse field, so no one can exactly pinpoint what it really focuses at.
Most people on this site don't want to use Google, so it makes it hard to explain things to them. Anyway, it was nice talking with you, and keep up the good work.
Nice rhyming skills by the way :D

Reaction score
Any general advice on further career and possibilities for major in APPLIED MATHEMATICS?
google for math career forums for such things .. and dont choose or get fixated on majoring in any area until you know more and in anycase the world outside the classroom will be different so relax and keep exploring and researching.. just a tip: never assume you know enough ... and with BSc in Math you can break into several fields such as Operations Research, Financial Engineering, Actuarial Sciences, Programing, Economics, Computer programming, some areas if engineering ... and do note that in the US at top universities the concept of graduate studies in Math and related fields is a Phd not an MSc ... in other countries it is different

also the way you study math in Pakistan is very different compared to the way it is taught in the US and other countries .. there they teach you the reason for the formula, the intuition behind it and when you get to the part where you have understand how mathematical proofs have been derived that is where the fun begins

http://www.siam.org/careers/thinking/pdf/brochure.pdf

http://www.siam.org/careers/thinking.php

http://www.toroidalsnark.net/mathcareers.html

https://www.math.ucdavis.edu/~kouba/MathJobs.html

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/options_mathematics.htm

Reaction score
google for math career forums for such things .. and dont choose or get fixated on majoring in any area until you know more and in anycase the world outside the classroom will be different so relax and keep exploring and researching.. just a tip: never assume you know enough ... and with BSc in Math you can break into several fields such as Operations Research, Financial Engineering, Actuarial Sciences, Programing, Economics, Computer programming, some areas if engineering ... and do note that in the US at top universities the concept of graduate studies in Math and related fields is a Phd not an MSc ... in other countries it is different

also the way you study math in Pakistan is very different compared to the way it is taught in the US and other countries .. there they teach you the reason for the formula, the intuition behind it and when you get to the part where you have understand how mathematical proofs have been derived that is where the fun begins

http://www.siam.org/careers/thinking/pdf/brochure.pdf

http://www.siam.org/careers/thinking.php

http://www.toroidalsnark.net/mathcareers.html

https://www.math.ucdavis.edu/~kouba/MathJobs.html

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/options_mathematics.htm
Agreed the "actual" fun begins there.

Reaction score
I am planning to do Bachelors in Architecture. I am in the final year of A levels and my subjects are Phy, Maths and Chem. Can i know the scope of Arch in the coming years?

Reaction score
I am planning to do Bachelors in Architecture. I am in the final year of A levels and my subjects are Phy, Maths and Chem. Can i know the scope of Arch in the coming years?
Yes, subject selection doesn't really matter at this stage, until and unless you are going for medical school, mathematics and other natural sciences

in any case just check the admission requirements of the uni/institute you are applying to

Reaction score
Howdy every1
Can any1 giv me sm info on the requirements of KfUPM nd the am I capable of giving its entry tests after doing AS,A2 or mere O levels.....
Moreover are the past entry tests available on sm site or where can we get it frm?

Reaction score
Howdy every1
Can any1 giv me sm info on the requirements of KfUPM nd the am I capable of giving its entry tests after doing AS,A2 or mere O levels.....
Moreover are the past entry tests available on sm site or where can we get it frm?
If your dad is there in KFUPM, you will get the admission. If not, dont even think of it.

Reaction score
Assalam-o-Alikum
I need a little help regarding my career and university guide.
Firstly,I have passed my o-levels with flying colors,Alhamdulillah.
Now i am into my a-levels and I have the following subjects Maths,Physics,Chemistry,AICT & English.
So my first question with these subjects am i eligible for Bachelors in Computer Science and if i drop either one from AICT and Chemistry would i still be eligible.
Secondly,I am interested in joining University of Aston ,So i wanted to know more about University like their overall Standard,World Recognition,etc...
Edit: Sorry i forgot about my career part,I am interested in Software Development,System Analyst & Security Analyst. So can some please guide me appropriately which of the following fields would be best and in each of them what will be my scope in finding a job in the following countries: Pakistan,UK,USA,Dubai,KSA &Qatar.

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
I am thinking of giving AS Economics and Sociology this Oct'15. Would it be of any use of giving it privately and for further uni admission(already have Maths,F.Maths,Chem,Phy for Full A level). Acturical Science is my future major.

Reaction score
Assalam-o-Alikum
I need a little help regarding my career and university guide.
Firstly,I have passed my o-levels with flying colors,Alhamdulillah.
Now i am into my a-levels and I have the following subjects Maths,Physics,Chemistry,AICT & English.
So my first question with these subjects am i eligible for Bachelors in Computer Science and if i drop either one from AICT and Chemistry would i still be eligible.
Secondly,I am interested in joining University of Aston ,So i wanted to know more about University like their overall Standard,World Recognition,etc...
Edit: Sorry i forgot about my career part,I am interested in Software Development,System Analyst & Security Analyst. So can some please guide me appropriately which of the following fields would be best and in each of them what will be my scope in finding a job in the following countries: Pakistan,UK,USA,Dubai,KSA &Qatar.

Thanks in advance

What were your grades in O Levels and what do you expect in A Levels. If you are an excellent student, I would not prefer University off Aston, personally.

Reaction score
I am thinking of giving AS Economics and Sociology this Oct'15. Would it be of any use of giving it privately and for further uni admission(already have Maths,F.Maths,Chem,Phy for Full A level). Acturical Science is my future major.

For Actuarial science, A Level Economics is preferred. I would suggest to appear for A Level Economics rather than just AS Level. Your subject choice is perfect for Actuarial, with a combination of Math, F maths and Economics, which are the most popular subjects among students pursuing this field.

Reaction score

Subject selection won't really matter for Architecture.

Reaction score
For Actuarial science, A Level Economics is preferred. I would suggest to appear for A Level Economics rather than just AS Level. Your subject choice is perfect for Actuarial, with a combination of Math, F maths and Economics, which are the most popular subjects among students pursuing this field.
What about Applied Mathematics?