• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology paper 5 doubts

Reaction score
To find the degree of freedom you'll subtract 1 from the number of values you've got and I guess its aim is to reduce the error.
So for this question, you've got 20 values for each pH so this is how you get 38 : (20-1) + (20-1) and I guess if the question was to carry t-test on all 3 pHs you'd do that 3 times and degree of freedom will be a 57 instead
This is how I solved it, and I hope this helps :)
Sigh! thanks buddy, you have no idea how you relieved me from that doubt in me. I'm weak in stats so i didn't take s2 as part of my A2!

Reaction score
The problem buddy is that i don't have any revision guide regarding s2 because i don't do s2. thanks at least 4 telling me that and good luck
ohh..ohk i'l tel u in short..
c error bars are basically sumthing lyk v do in phy..have u taken phy?
bt the only difference is that instead of doing +/- uncertainty in phy... for bio we +/- (2*standard error) ...and standard error is given by S/(root of n), where S=standard deviation and n=no. of samples...
hope dat helped!
gudluck! :)

Reaction score
The problem buddy is that i don't have any revision guide regarding s2 because i don't do s2. thanks at least 4 telling me that and good luck
and btw i was toking abt biology revision guide..not s2! :p i myself havnt taken s2! ;)

Reaction score
can sum1 pls tel me the reasons for using chi-squared test and for using t-test for different situations? pls asap! :)

Reaction score
Hey for the same Oct/Nov 2010 P53 paper
look at question 1(c)(ii)
With which value should i compare with standard deviation in order to say that the std dev is larger or smaller hence results reliable or not??o_O

Reaction score
can sum1 pls tel me the reasons for using chi-squared test and for using t-test for different situations? pls asap! :)
chi squared test is for discrete data.
t-test is for continuous data.

Reaction score
For paper Oct/Nov 2010 p53
Number 1 (c) (iii) do error bars involve ONLY standard error???

Reaction score
Hey for the same Oct/Nov 2010 P53 paper
look at question 1(c)(ii)
With which value should i compare with standard deviation in order to say that the std dev is larger or smaller hence results reliable or not??o_O
dat question is not related to the data..dey hav asked a general question..so the std deviation shows the spread of data from the mean! :)

Reaction score
dat question is not related to the data..dey hav asked a general question..so the std deviation shows the spread of data from the mean! :)
Yeah i know that but how can i qualify that the standard dev is small or big??

Reaction score
Okay i don't have any bio revision guide. i'm doing all papers on my own actually.
oh..ohk..i hav posted wt is std error..pls hav a luk..
and yeah for dat questn in 53/o/n/10 we only got to +/- (2*std error) for the error bars

Reaction score
Yeah i know that but how can i qualify that the standard dev is small or big??
u cant actually qualify it...
its lyk..ven u r given 2 different data sets...u got to compare der std deviations..the one wid a greater value of std deviation out of the 2..wil b less reliable..

Reaction score
oh..ohk..i hav posted wt is std error..pls hav a luk..
and yeah for dat questn in 53/o/n/10 we only got to +/- (2*std error) for the error bars
Okay then +/-(2*std error) is applicable in all cases then. You can also simply say that +/-(standard error) also, right? please confirm.

Reaction score
u cant actually qualify it...
its lyk..ven u r given 2 different data sets...u got to compare der std deviations..the one wid a greater value of std deviation out of the 2..wil b less reliable..
You mean to say that it depends on the data given to me, there is no generalised concept for this.

Reaction score
Okay then +/-(2*std error) is applicable in all cases then. You can also simply say that +/-(standard error) also, right? please confirm.
no as far as i hav read it is always +/-(2*std error) and not just +/-(std error)
and yeah...it depends on the data given to u...no generalized concept for it as u asked!

Reaction score
ohh..ohk i'l tel u in short..
c error bars are basically sumthing lyk v do in phy..have u taken phy?
bt the only difference is that instead of doing +/- uncertainty in phy... for bio we +/- (2*standard error) ...and standard error is given by S/(root of n), where S=standard deviation and n=no. of samples...
hope dat helped!
gudluck! :)
Whilst scrolling, its now i saw ur post.
Thanks. no i don't do phy.
it indeed helped.
+/-(2*std dev.) is always the case for error bars then?

Reaction score
no as far as i hav read it is always +/-(2*std error) and not just +/-(std error)
and yeah...it depends on the data given to u...no generalized concept for it as u asked!
Sigh! thank you ^^