• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology paper 5 doubts

Reaction score
Hello peeps. :)
Here we are with our last paper to complete our A level Biology.
So, to get things in an organised way, i've created this thread, so feel free to post your doubts and so we can help as many ppl as we can.
I shall start with this question.
1.JPG
Good luck everyone!

Reaction score
Expected result is more of an assumption. So it can come from anywhere. Usually we find it using probability ratios. And in this case we assume that all kinds of grasslands occur in equal ratio. So 1/3 x 240(total number of rare moths)=80.

Reaction score
Hello there
Can anyone help me in finding the degrees of freedom for question 3(b)(iv) and show me the way of doing it?
http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Biology (9700)/9700_s09_qp_5.pdf

The question says that hourly samples were made, so for each pH value, there are total 40 values taken.
The number of degrees of freedom for each pH value is (n - 1), so it is totally 40 - 1 - 1 = 38
Therefore, the number of degrees of freedom is 38.

Good Luck for your exams!

Reaction score
The question says that hourly samples were made, so for each pH value, there are total 40 values taken.
The number of degrees of freedom for each pH value is (n - 1), so it is totally 40 - 1 - 1 = 38
Therefore, the number of degrees of freedom is 38.

Good Luck for your exams!
Thank you Sagar, just one more thing, can you explain me how to calculate the degrees of freedom? I mean in terms of a general formula.
Is it that you -1 two times because of 2pH values (i mean 2 samples of data)?

Reaction score
Guys, do you have any advice on what to do the day before the exam, how to prepare and revise?
I kinda had to study for paper 5 all on my own, and I solved all exams from J07 to J12..
Any advice will be appreciated :)

Reaction score
Guys, do you have any advice on what to do the day before the exam, how to prepare and revise?
I kinda had to study for paper 5 all on my own, and I solved all exams from J07 to J12..
Any advice will be appreciated :)
Unfortunately i'm in the same situation as yours, but i have hardly any advice to give u, i',m sorry.
Since you've solved the papers i think its enough, just go through them once more. Hey can you help me with the doubt i posted on degree of freedom please? is there any general formula for this???

Reaction score
Can sum1 pls help me out wid d error bars? As in wht do v add and subtract from d main value while drawing error bars? Pls help asap! :)

Reaction score
Can sum1 pls help me out wid d error bars? As in wht do v add and subtract from d main value while drawing error bars? Pls help asap! :)
first calculate the mean and standard error. Than we add and subtract 2 times the error from the mean

Reaction score
first calculate the mean and standard error. Than we add and subtract 2 times the error from the mean
Hey thnx bt if u see 53/o/n/10 the ms says v got to add and subtract 1 and 2 for the error bars...whereas 1 and 2 are the std errors..
From wt i had studied..v hav to multiply by 2 bt den d ms says sumthng diffrnt..pls check it out n tel me..

Reaction score
What are error bars?? :confused:
Hey its not poss to explain d entire thing lyk dat..pls hav a luk at the ppr which i mentioned..53/o/n/10 u'l cm to noe wt were v tokng abt..
N i'l sugest u to go thru sum revision guide if u hav 1..for better undrstnding.. :):)

Reaction score
Hello there
Can anyone help me in finding the degrees of freedom for question 3(b)(iv) and show me the way of doing it?
http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Biology (9700)/9700_s09_qp_5.pdf

To find the degree of freedom you'll subtract 1 from the number of values you've got and I guess its aim is to reduce the error.
So for this question, you've got 20 values for each pH so this is how you get 38 : (20-1) + (20-1) and I guess if the question was to carry t-test on all 3 pHs you'd do that 3 times and degree of freedom will be a 57 instead
This is how I solved it, and I hope this helps :)

Reaction score
Hey its not poss to explain d entire thing lyk dat..pls hav a luk at the ppr which i mentioned..53/o/n/10 u'l cm to noe wt were v tokng abt..
N i'l sugest u to go thru sum revision guide if u hav 1..for better undrstnding.. :):)
The problem buddy is that i don't have any revision guide regarding s2 because i don't do s2. thanks at least 4 telling me that and good luck