• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

ASK Me !

Reaction score
lol do u need those questions bro or ur just testing
Yes I didn't buy I'm making this thread for A2 questions

Reaction score
Okay...This is not A2, but in A1 biology, in the topic of enzymes, is the inhibitors (competitive and non-competitive) in the syllabus? My teacher in school teaches us such stuff which are not in the student book. I think you might know.

If it is in the syllabus, it might be troublesome to me because I use the specification that I downloaded from the edexcel website to make my own notes! So is there like some other type of syllabus for the teachers?

Reaction score
Okay...This is not A2, but in A1 biology, in the topic of enzymes, is the inhibitors (competitive and non-competitive) in the syllabus? My teacher in school teaches us such stuff which are not in the student book. I think you might know.

If it is in the syllabus, it might be troublesome to me because I use the specification that I downloaded from the edexcel website to make my own notes! So is there like some other type of syllabus for the teachers?

What is not in the syllabus will never come in the exams :) I advice you don't waste your time learning it :) I did enzyme and Those shit about Inhibitor is off topic :)

Reaction score

I don't remember I've ever came across that
Edexcel syllabus is what you need to go with nothing else , show the syllabus to your sir and know the reason behind him giving you that
Just to be sure

Reaction score
Thank you very much aniekan and .DR.me.

I think my teacher in school uses the old syllabus or some other book. I will just go on studying using the syllabus!

Reaction score
bro can u plz help me out with A2 Biology (the scientific article for june 2013 and how to tackle unit 6B Question 3.) plzz help me um in a situation to get E. :-(

Reaction score
A living genius, eh? and an endangered species too? okay.
Now tell me about the following, in detail:

Resting potential;
Action potential;
Synapses structure and function;
How genes can be switched on or off;
Use of fMRI, MRI and CT;
Sliding filament theory.

Reaction score
bro can u plz help me out with A2 Biology (the scientific article for june 2013 and how to tackle unit 6B Question 3.) plzz help me um in a situation to get E. :-(
For the article .. U need to look for any topics that might come out of it
So extract any information that'll lead you to a topic you studied that means in as or a2 both
As for me I haven't done that yet when I finish you might ask me more regarding that

Reaction score
I'm not currently home .. Ill be free in 2 days to answer your questions

Reaction score
ok plz post me questions and answers regarding that article if u can..nd wbt Unit 6B question 3..how to tackle those..itz damn hard..ol i am doing is memorising the examiner's report answers..bt do u think dat wil do?

Reaction score

Resting potential;
Action potential;
Use of fMRI, MRI and CT;
Sliding filament theory.

this will take time ! lol
anyways

sliding filament theory :
when a muscle contracts the thin actin filament moves between the myosin filament shortening the sarcomere !
now this in details ,
you need to know the structure of the myosin and the actin first

myosin : has a flexible head thats able to bind to the actin binding site by hydrolysis of atp using atpase found in the head
Actin : have 2 other protiens troponin (which have a ca+ binding site) and tropomyosin attached to the actin

1.now when a nerve impulse arrives at the neuromuscular junction , Ca ions are released from the sarcoplasmic reticullum
2.this then joins to the actin molecule on the troponin
3.it changes the shape of the troponin which pulls the tropomyosin from its blocking position
4.then the myosin head binds to the actin forming actomyosin bridge (crossbridge)
5.myosin releases ADP and Pi , the head binds forward moving the actin along the myosin (power stroke )
6. free atp joins bk to the head , breaking the cross bridge formed previously
7 with continuous ca ions present in the sarcomere , the atpase present in the head is activated , so the whole process can continue

Reaction score

Resting potential;
Action potential;
Use of fMRI, MRI and CT;
Sliding filament theory.

MRI : its uses magnetic field and radio waves
used to give an image of soft tissues like the brain
it can show if a person have tumors , suffer from stroke , any brain injury
FMRI : modified MRI
used to see the brain in action during live tasks
detects its activity by following the uptake of O2 from active sites in the brain
CT : thousands of narrow beam Xray rotated around the patient
takes an image of the movement at 1 time ( looks at the damage ) resolution not very good , and uses Xrays which are harmful !

Reaction score

Resting potential;
Action potential;
Use of fMRI, MRI and CT;
Sliding filament theory.

how genes can be switched on and off :
1 . anabolic hormone , like the testerone somehow , its able to pass through the membrane of a cell ,
which then attach to a receptor forming the transcription factors , passes to the nucleus , and then binds to the promoter region of a gene , allowing rna polymerase to start the transcription
so protien synthesis takes place in muscle
2. peptide hormone like the erethroprotien cant pass through the membvrane
it attaches to a receptor foun on the membrane
thus activating a chain rxn resulting in the transcription factor within the nucleus
erythroprotien stimulates production or red cells

Reaction score

Resting potential;
Action potential;
Use of fMRI, MRI and CT;
Sliding filament theory.

synapses structure and function :

its the point where 1 neuron meets the other
an impulse reaches the axon at the synoptic bulb , the depolarisation of the membrane causes Ca ions to move in , this releases the the neurotransmitter found in the synaptic vesicle
moves through the synoptic cleft and joins on the receptors on the post synoptic membrane (the next neuron)
Na Channel opens , the membrane depolarizes and initiate an action potential

Reaction score
ok plz post me questions and answers regarding that article if u can..nd wbt Unit 6B question 3..how to tackle those..itz damn hard..ol i am doing is memorising the examiner's report answers..bt do u think dat wil do?
i didnt start unit 6 yet .. when im done ill try and answer you

Reaction score

Resting potential;
Action potential;
Use of fMRI, MRI and CT;
Sliding filament theory.

Resting potential : outside is postive and inside is negative ,
high na+ outside and high K+ inside with -ve protiens and chloride ions
-70 mV is the charge , membrane is polarised
Action potential : when stimulated na ions move in , reaches to +40 depolarising the membrane
na channel closes , K channel open k + leaves the membrane repolarising the membrane
then hyperpolarisation occurs b4 the k channels closes

Reaction score
a vector question:
a plane II has an equation of
3x-2y+z=6
does that mean that I can put any value for x and y and calculate the value of z to get any point on the plane?
for example
x=0
y=0
z=6-3(0)-2(0)=6
Thanks in advance :)

Reaction score
1) wt r da advantages and disadvantages of eusoicial society?
2)discuss the advantages and disadvantages of usin naked mole rats as da nxt lab rats?