• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

AS Biology P1 MCQs Preparation Thread

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
aoa

this one too....why wont it alter the active site shape?

9700 J\'11_13 Q 22.jpg

Reaction score
If it's not too late does anybody understand the relationship between the girth (circumference) of a tree trunk and the cohesion-tension theory? It seems to be a recent favorite amongst the examiners. Thanks

Jaf

Reaction score
help needed!!!!!! question 34, 38 and 40 of oct/nov/13/2010

34, fIrst you need to see that in sample 3, when uracil is 25, C is nil, which means C is THYMINE because the two are never found together. Once you have found that C is Thymine, whichever base is the same/nearly the same as C is adenine because, due to base pairing specificity, the two have to be equal. If you check, B is nearly the same as C in all cases and, so, the answer is B.

38, you may check above. I asked the same question on he last page, as 39 on paper 11, check the answer provided for that.

40, for this you need to understand basic mathematics. By mutipling the number of individuals with the biomass per individual, you will get the total biomass of the species in the ecosystem. When you multiply this by the energy per unit mass, you get the oral energy held by that species in the whOle foodchain. So,

Energy = number * mass per unit * energy per unit mass

Do that for Ll if them and you get:

P = 1000
Q = 100
R = 1.8
S = 450 000

In pyramids of energy, the species with most energy is at the base and those with the least are at the top. So, according to this, S should be at the base, followed by P and Q, and R at the top. This is only found in B so that's the answer.

Reaction score
If it's not too late does anybody understand the relationship between the girth (circumference) of a tree trunk and the cohesion-tension theory? It seems to be a recent favorite amongst the examiners. Thanks
i think the circumference decreases as the cohesion-tension forces decreases

Reaction score
urgent help for this one pleeeeeeeaaaaaseeeeeView attachment 12861
to say i fully comprehend this question would be an overstatement but what i can tell u is that u pretty much get it by elimination. the other choices sound absurs. antibodies are SPECIFIC to one antigen ! so an antibody complementary to antigen X will never stimulate an immune response to Y. that's pretty much what mr.examiner is trying to say by this seemingly complicated (but really not) question :)

Reaction score
to say i fully comprehend this question would be an overstatement but what i can tell u is that u pretty much get it by elimination. the other choices sound absurs. antibodies are SPECIFIC to one antigen ! so an antibody complementary to antigen X will never stimulate an immune response to Y. that's pretty much what mr.examiner is trying to say by this seemingly complicated (but really not) question :)
yea i guess elimination would be the only way....thanx fr yr help:)

Reaction score
aoa wr wb

need help with this plz

jazakAllah

View attachment 12859
do we need photosynthesis for growth? yes we do because it produces glucose......looking at the other items in the table, is photosynthesis one of other life processes? yup. and finally...what do plants use to respire? oxygen...and what does oxygen do? break down glucose to release CO2...and where does this glucose come from? PHOTOSYNTHESIS! voila :)

Reaction score
Well think of it like this ehm ehm at night transpiration decrease right so the pressure at the leaf would increase right so what you're doing exactly is that you are reducing the pressure difference, its like a straw right you suck on a straw on top the diameter is reduced you stop sucking or you suck slowly the diameter rarely decreases so back to plants the xylem pressure on top is increased at night due to lack of transpiration, you could say that the pressure on top is canceling pressure at the bottom its like an equlibrium but pressure wise, no pressure diffrence would obviously show no change in the diameter.

Reaction score
Well think of it like this ehm ehm at night transpiration decrease right so the pressure at the leaf would increase right so what you're doing exactly is that you are reducing the pressure difference, its like a straw right you suck on a straw on top the diameter is reduced you stop sucking or you suck slowly the diameter rarely decreases so back to plants the xylem pressure on top is increased at night due to lack of transpiration, you could say that the pressure on top is canceling pressure at the bottom its like an equlibrium but pressure wise, no pressure diffrence would obviously show no change in the diameter.
first of all thanks. second, ur basically saying that if cohesion-tension forces increase as a result of increased transpiration during the day..girth DEcreases>\?

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
AsSalamoAlaikum Wr Wb!

Is there anyone giving first variant? I mean...tomorrow...if i get doubts, will there be anyone to clear them? :unsure: :ROFLMAO: