• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Alevels PHYSICS PRACTICAL 34 Prediction.

Reaction score
Don't forget these free points I'm giving all of you easily score marks in the limitations and improvements section
1)
Limitation=Not enough readings to arrive at a firm conclusion
Improvement=Take more readings AND plot a graph
2)
Limitation=Friction at the pulley
improvement=Lubricate
3)
Limitation=Difficulty holding protractor straight while measuring
Improvement=Clamp the protractor
4)
(DISPUTED/UNSURE)
Limitation=Length/diameter/thickness of nail too small to measure OR not evenly distributed
Improvement= Use different apparatus such as micrometer to reduce uncertainty OR measure along the nail and average

There are many more points to think off but I'll it at this for now and don't forget to help others out cos that's what we stand for.
Thankyou so much!!

Reaction score
Ok guys we are arriving closer to D day so I sincerely urge everyone to contribute in these 24 hours. If you know anything tell it now

Reaction score
amina1300 we haven't heard from you in some time and considering you might have the most productive contribution. Help us out some more

Reaction score
This seems really helpful (if y'all know what I mean) I still don't get the nails in the second one and I assume this one is for angle measurement being the dependent and the load being the independent? For the first one where is the nail we have to measure the number of curves and is this by any chance a wave experiment for the first time? anyway this is REALLY helpful. See if this can be done for chemistry 34 too or at least the type of questions to be expected.
can you like give a brief explanation of whats happening in both experiments ?

Reaction score
can you like give a brief explanation of whats happening in both experiments ?
The First Question is possibly about spring extension and load or density
The Second Q might be about angle measurements between the load and pulley with different set of weights

Reaction score
m
The First Question is possibly about spring extension and load or density
The Second Q might be about angle measurements between the load and pulley with different set of weights
my teacher just linked me with papers having the same type of questions as above
m17 33
s 16 33

Reaction score
In physics the absolute error is equal to least count of the instrument?
And in stopwatch or mass balance do we multiply the absolute error by two?
Help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
In the following questions all lengths are measured with a metre rule with the same least count; so why are the values for absolute uncertainty different in the marking schemes?

Attachments

• IMG_1472.JPG
    IMG_1472.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1474.JPG
    IMG_1474.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1477.JPG
    IMG_1477.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 19
Reaction score
In the following questions all lengths are measured with a metre rule with the same least count; so why are the values for absolute uncertainty different in the marking schemes?
Sometimes when you're taking a reading, the error isn't only due to the measuring instrument. For example, if you're measuring the height of a weight (from the table) suspeded from a spring, the weight bobs up and down a bit so you have to take that into account as well. That's why in different experiments, unless the measurement is straight forward, the absolute uncertainty is different and larger than the error of the instrument itself. The safest method to find percentage uncertainty in this case is to take repeated readings, calculate absolute uncertainty using Max-Min/2 and then calculating percentage uncertainty using Absolute uncertainty/ Mean of repeated readings x 100.

Reaction score
Sometimes when you're taking a reading, the error isn't only due to the measuring instrument. For example, if you're measuring the height of a weight (from the table) suspeded from a spring, the weight bobs up and down a bit so you have to take that into account as well. That's why in different experiments, unless the measurement is straight forward, the absolute uncertainty is different and larger than the error of the instrument itself. The safest method to find percentage uncertainty in this case is to take repeated readings, calculate absolute uncertainty using Max-Min/2 and then calculating percentage uncertainty using Absolute uncertainty/ Mean of repeated readings x 100.
Ok got it. Thank you so much.

Reaction score
Errors And Limitations for this balancing type of practical?

Attachments

• 18762957_1330141187054775_568713139_n.jpg
    18762957_1330141187054775_568713139_n.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 52