• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A level Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
14 Some inhibitors of enzyme reactions bind to the enzyme / substrate complex.
Which statements about this type of inhibition are correct?
1 The active site changes shape
2 The inhibitor is non-competitive.
3 The initial rate of reaction is reduced.
4 maximum rate of reaction (Vmax) is increased.

A 1 and 2 only B 1and3only C 2and3only D 2,3and4only

How is the answer C?
I don't understand that if the active site is not changing shape then how is the non competitive inhibitor causing the rate of reaction to decline?

Reaction score
Can anybody explain why is the answer B and not C? If the moelcule was 100% saturated it would contain 8 oxygen atoms, since it is slightly less should not it contain 6 oxygen atoms?

Attachments

• lAJDSJFS.png
    lAJDSJFS.png
    15.8 KB · Views: 15
Reaction score
Can anybody explain why is the answer B and not C? If the moelcule was 100% saturated it would contain 8 oxygen atoms, since it is slightly less should not it contain 6 oxygen atoms?
the question says that how many molecules will be attached , 6 and 8 is wrong because 12 and 16 atoms can not attach at the site with 8 atoms max space.now 2 molecules means two haeme groups will be left unused so it leave you with b. correct me if i am wrong

Reaction score
the question says that how many molecules will be attached , 6 and 8 is wrong because 12 and 16 atoms can not attach at the site with 8 atoms max space.now 2 molecules means two haeme groups will be left unused so it leave you with b. correct me if i am wrong
I would think of the reaction:-

Hb + 402 = Hb08

Since it is molecules, should be B.
Umm thanks both of you. I realised I was mistaking molecules for atoms. :p

Reaction score
Guys please tell me why active transport doesnt get affected when membrane fluidity changes ??
First of all Active Transport means transfer of ions from it's LOWER conc to HIGHER conc AGAINSt the conc gradient. And fluidity of membrane means membrane fluidity refers to the viscosity of the lipid bilayer of a cell membrane or a synthetic lipid membrane
Fluidity of membrane helps in transport of molecules such as water and gaseous particles i.e. diffusion. So if fluidity is affected than diffusion of particles is affected coz they transport from Higher water conc to Lower water conc whereas active transport is opp and also it needs ATP to take place.
So, Active transport is not at all affected by fluidity of membrane.

Sorry for the late reply. Yesterday I saw your ques and I was knowing the answer but wasn't sure so today I asked about this to my Bio teacher and I wrote this answer.
I hope you got it. :)

Last edited: