• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A level Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Hi, I have some questions to ask about the AS past papers for biology and specifically where they seem to contradict the book i am working from ( which is the biology coursebook by Mary Jones Richard Fosbery Jennifer Gregory and Dennis Taylor. ) firstly in this book the antibiotic penicillin is referred to as a non-competitive inhibitor ( on page 62) ( as it bonds permanently to the active site of enzymes used in cell wall synthesis ) but in the past paper 2012 October November specimen paper 23, question 2, c (ii) it is stated that "Penicillin acts as a competitive inhibitor" . also the second point on which i am somewhat uncertain is, when referring to normal cells, that is cells not currently undergoing mitosis or meiosis, is it not incorrect to refer to the cells as containing chromosomes? ( because the genetic material of the cell is contained in chromatids in the nucleus, which are in the form of loosely coiled chromatin, and so cannot contain chromatin, )

Reaction score
Manage your time!
Revise the structures of the plant and how to draw a plan diagram
Beside each label put a small note
and good luck :)
You are of precious help dear. Thank you again :)
putting a lil note means annotation.
if the question doesnt ask for annotation then DO NOT annotate. only label.
for labelling...even if theydint ask to label..u shld label.

Reaction score
Hey .Can anyone please answer this question.Thanks a lot

How the structure of DNA makes it suitable for replication
its double stranded joined by hydrogen bonds between complementary base pairing. Therefore each DNA strand can act as a template for formation of complementary strand by being paired with complementary neucleoutides to produce two identical molecules of DNA.